Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Brand new G5 shows wrong Time

Brand new G5 shows wrong Time
PacHead
Baninated
Mar 24, 2004, 11:24 PM

I helped a friend of mine setup their new G5 1.6 machine yesterday. Everything seems to be running smooth, except for one strange thing. The Time (hours,minutes) on the machine is wrong. The date is correct, but the hours and minutes are totally screwed up.

Everything in the Date & Time Preferences panel is set 100% correct. The timezone/city is correct, and it is set to automatically connect to the Apple Time Server USA.

The internet connection on the machine is also working fine. It's hooked up via a T1 line, and email, surfing all work flawlessly.

The only thing added to the machine was 1 gig of ram (2 x 512, Apple Branded).

Has anybody heard of anything similar on a G5 before ?

There is no firewall or littlesnitches installed, which is blocking any out ports on the machine.

thanx

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2004, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by PacHead:
I helped a friend of mine setup their new G5 1.6 machine yesterday. Everything seems to be running smooth, except for one strange thing. The Time (hours,minutes) on the machine is wrong. The date is correct, but the hours and minutes are totally screwed up.

Everything in the Date & Time Preferences panel is set 100% correct. The timezone/city is correct, and it is set to automatically connect to the Apple Time Server USA.

The internet connection on the machine is also working fine. It's hooked up via a T1 line, and email, surfing all work flawlessly.

The only thing added to the machine was 1 gig of ram (2 x 512, Apple Branded).

Has anybody heard of anything similar on a G5 before ?

There is no firewall or littlesnitches installed, which is blocking any out ports on the machine.

thanx
Could be a problem with Apples time server. although I suspect that there could be a problem with the on-board battery.

Either way I would give Apple a call...

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2004, 02:51 AM

What happens if you turn off time server and set the clock manually?

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Mar 25, 2004, 05:39 PM

OK, I'm getting closer to finding out the problem, and the good news is it doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with the G5.

The G5 is on a T1 network with other machines, mostly macs, and when checking the other macs, they all show different times, even though they are set to automatically connect to Apple Time Server USA.

So obviously, the connection is getting blocked, none of the machines are connecting to the time server. Must be a network thing.

I don't know anything about networks really, but whoever set up the network maybe has the port blocked im assuming, for whatever reason.

So, once that is fixed, i assume the problem will be solved.

Thanx to those who replied.

>

redJag
Senior User
Mar 25, 2004, 07:53 PM

You need port 123 (UDP) open.
Travis Sanderson

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Mar 25, 2004, 10:02 PM

Yes, the Network Time Protocol. (I've been googling).

thanks for the info

redJag
Senior User
Mar 26, 2004, 01:27 AM

Also, this sounds more like a Networking or Mac OS X thread, by the way.
Travis Sanderson

Forum Links
Forum Rules