Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Looking For IPhone Flashlight Which Does Not Switch Off - Use on bike

Looking For IPhone Flashlight Which Does Not Switch Off - Use on bike
JamesRedwood
Nov 2, 2008, 07:26 PM

I m just wondering if anyone has managed to find a flashlight app which does not automatically switch off?

I ve tried a couple from the AppStore and Cydia without any joy - I d like to use the flashlight when cycling home so people actually see me

Does anyone know how to prevent the phone switching off / dimming?

Thanks

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2008, 07:37 PM

Bring up a black page in Safari and then switch the backlight timer to off under settings.

Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2008, 08:48 PM

Set the iPhone to never sleep. It's not the app thats turning off its the iPhone OS.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2008, 11:01 PM

That sounds dangerous. For you and the iPhone. Go to Target or Walmart or anywhere and buy a $10 clip on light. They make them specifically for this purpose.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2008, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Set the iPhone to never sleep. It's not the app thats turning off its the iPhone OS.
Apps can prevent the iPhone from going to sleep. Many apps do that.

Actually, I wish this would be something some apps would let the user turn on or off. Like in the Maps app, if you wanna use it as a GPS, you should be able to turn off Sleep just for this app, but leave it on for others.

-t

FireWire
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2008, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
That sounds dangerous. For you and the iPhone. Go to Target or Walmart or anywhere and buy a $10 clip on light. They make them specifically for this purpose.
Seconded! Why risk hitting a flying rock or getting dirt or water on your iPhone?

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Actually, I wish this would be something some apps would let the user turn on or off. Like in the Maps app, if you wanna use it as a GPS, you should be able to turn off Sleep just for this app, but leave it on for others.
Amen! This "bug" is really annoying.. How am I supposed to see where I should go if the maps closes after a few minutes...

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2008, 03:23 AM

I always leave auto-lock off and it's never caused a problem. I just lock it when I'm done. If I want the thing on, I want it on. What I don't want is it telling me that I haven't given it any love recently so it's going to to shut itself off - I get that enough at home!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 3, 2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by JamesRedwood View Post
I ve tried a couple from the AppStore and Cydia without any joy - I d like to use the flashlight when cycling home so people actually see me
Umm, why wear out your expensive iPhone battery (the charge cycles of the battery are limited!) and possibly leave yourself with a dead phone when you need it, when for $30 you could buy a headlight AND taillight for your bike? Sheesh.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2008, 10:47 AM

I laughed at the subject of this thread, even before opening it. I did open just to see if the OP was serious.

Apparently, he is.

QS

22Gigs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2008, 03:12 AM

myLite is my fav flashlight app.
22Gigs.com - 22 GB of FREE Hosting for Mac users!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2008, 09:49 AM

Use a headlight on your bike. Really.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2008, 05:44 PM

The flash light app is just to get a brief period of light if you need to unlock a door in a dark place, or dropped something in a dark theater. If you use this as a light to ride a bike, you will seriously burn your battery life cycle as said above. For the price of replacing that battery, you could probably buy 2 or 3 really nice bike light sets. Also, what if you get in an accident and the phone goes flying out of your hand or holder and onto the hard pavement? James, I guess you have money to throw around.
You want a better light? Try an INOVA instead:
http://www.inovalight.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules