Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > i need a proper winter coat (i'm cold)

i need a proper winter coat (i'm cold)
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 02:24 PM

what kind of coat do you all wear in the winter? im ready to shell out some decent money ($300) if it looks nice and will keep me warm. something that is relatively thin is better than looking like the michelin tireman. black is better than white. waterproof is better than wool (like a peacoat or whatever).

GO!

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 02:27 PM

A nice trench coat.. usually made from wool blend.

It's the only thing I have bought for over a decade.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
A nice trench coat.. usually made from wool blend.

It's the only thing I have bought for over a decade.
You buy them each year for over 10 years? What a waste. My winter coat has lasted me about 6 years so far.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 03:12 PM

Yeah, I have a wool p coat I bought at H&M for around $100. It's a great for Autumn and Winter (and around here, most of Spring too). In the Winter I just add a scarf and I'm good to go.

air
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2005, 03:14 PM

boots
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 03:32 PM

I've still got the same old ski jacket my mom bought me when I was a freshman in high school. I'm just now starting to think about replacing it. Word on the street is that it's pretty ratty looking. I don't see it though.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2005, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by scaught
what kind of coat do you all wear in the winter?
A handmade, ankle-length, suede, mid-60's East German trenchcoat. Very warm, very heavy, just about as cool as it gets.

No, I know that didn't help you out much.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 03:50 PM

A black and brown suede jacket. Not too cool in itself, but when you wear it with blue shoes and a fedora, which I do, angels weep and God whittles BlueSky tribute figurines out of St. Peter's meerschaum garden.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 04:01 PM

Scaught lives in Detroit. It gets cold there. Proper cold.
I've got a super heavy pea coat I bought at a shop in Germany specializing in naval uniforms and expedition gear. Nothing goes through there. Dark blue, almost black. Blue buttons, no silly naval regalia. Just properly made. With a big sweater it's good to about -10c. Then the Snowgoose comes out, that's good to about -50c. Anything less and I won't leave the house.

boots
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 04:11 PM

Detroit doesn't know from cold.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 04:43 PM

Sandkat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2005, 04:43 PM

Usually a waist length or just below the waist, wool peacoat.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
You buy them each year for over 10 years? What a waste. My winter coat has lasted me about 6 years so far.
Huh? I never said I bought a new one every year. I said it's the only type of coat I bought in the last decade.

I've had two.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Peter
Cotton KILLS. Once it gets wet you can't dry it out. Even waxed cotton can absorb moisture. You need natural wool, some kind of windproof synthetic, or animal (leather, suede, hide, etc). But definitely NOT cotton.

I've got a nice down vest I've been wearing for early winter and a Carhartt work jacket--with synthetic insulation and flannel lining--for when I need my arms covered. Although, I could use a nice pea coat or overcoat for those "dressy" occassions.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 06:22 PM

maybe. But it looks awesome.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 06:26 PM

The UK doesn't know cold

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
The UK doesn't know cold
exactly
I have a goretex musto sailing jacket when it gets cold.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 07:21 PM

Abercrombie & Fitch makes some good stuff. I was in Michigan as well They look good and are functional. most of the nobrand stuff looks too 'puffy' and 'inflated'. Check out the A&F website.

Cheers

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Abercrombie & Fitch makes some good stuff if you're a preppy white kid who wants to be cool at frat parties and be poor because you spent all your money on trendy clothing that goes out of style in just a couple years
Fixed. **** A&F.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 07:46 PM

There are some brands of clothing that people buy just because of the brand. Gucci is a great example. People who buy A&F just because of the name are waaaayyyyy off the mark.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 07:46 PM

It's all about the layers if you don't want a huge coat.
Get some good thermals, tshirt over that, wool pullover on top of that ( I like Ibex), then wear whatever jacket you like. Just make sure to put on your deodorant.

Otherwise go into a good snowboard shop and check out some Burton, North Face, Bonfire.....
Don't forget a beanie, you lose something like 90% of your body heat through your head!

OreoCookie
Dec 11, 2005, 07:47 PM

My old snowboard jacket lasted seven years and is still in a good shape. I replaced it with another one which is in its fourth winter and still doing great. When I want to look more fashionable, I wear my soft leather coat which is also a few years old but in perfect condition.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 07:49 PM

I suggest you say "please" before taking it.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 07:50 PM

It doesn't get cold enough here for coats. My leather jacket is collecting dust, which is a pity, coz I look rather sharp in it.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 08:00 PM

I can't stand how expensive snowboard/ski winter coats are now. It's absolutely insane. I still have an old Burton one I wear that cost me less than $200 on sale somewhere, and I throw some layers underneath it. It's gotten me through anything as cold as you'll find below the Arctic Circle, so I won't complain.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton
I can't stand how expensive snowboard/ski winter coats are now. It's absolutely insane. I still have an old Burton one I wear that cost me less than $200 on sale somewhere, and I throw some layers underneath it. It's gotten me through anything as cold as you'll find below the Arctic Circle, so I won't complain.

greg
Best time to buy snowboard/ski gear is in the spring when all the shops have 20-50% off sales to get rid of as much of their inventory as possible.

boots
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 08:44 PM

Fixed. **** A&F.
.....so....tempted.....

must...not...tease....the....badger......

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Abercrombie & Fitch makes some good stuff. I was in Michigan as well They look good and are functional. most of the nobrand stuff looks too 'puffy' and 'inflated'. Check out the A&F website.

Cheers
I hope you are joking.

Anyways, back on the subject. It depends on what is most important to you, style or comfort. For style, like others have recommended, a peacoat is a good choice. I bought a real one from an army surplus store when I was in high school and use it to this day. They look good, are warm, however they are heavy and you somewhat limited in movement. You don't want to be wearing one if you are going to take a long hike. If comfort is more important (e.g. light weight and warm) then I recommend Eastern Mountain Sport (EMS), North Face, Recreational Equipment Inc. (REI), Columbia Sportwear, or Patagonia.

http://www.ems.com/

http://www.thenorthface.com/

http://www.rei.com/

http://www.columbia.com/

http://www.patagonia.com/

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by boots
.....so....tempted.....

must...not...tease....the....badger......
G'head. Say it. Are you an A&F fan?

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 09:54 PM

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 10:01 PM

Fixed. **** A&F.
I've never personally bought A&F stuff, but I got a pair of jeans from there that lasted me something like 3 years (after being a hand me down from my cousin), and my hoodie I got 5 years ago for Christmas is still going strong. Sure you can get similar quality stuff for cheaper, but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob
I've never personally bought A&F stuff, but I got a pair of jeans from there that lasted me something like 3 years (after being a hand me down from my cousin), and my hoodie I got 5 years ago for Christmas is still going strong. Sure you can get similar quality stuff for cheaper, but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be.
It really is. Do you realize how much that stuff costs? You can get almost identical clothes at American Eagle if that's your style. I haven't purchased clothes in .... oh... say over 5 years now. Maybe I'm out of style, but I really don't give a ****.

paul w
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 11:01 PM

Why aren't there more coat suggestions. I need a coat too!

So far I see 4 (usefull) types:

Wool overcoat

Pea coat

Down/Goretex ski type coat

Leather

Nobody has anything different?

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by paul w

Wool overcoat

Pea coat

Leather

Fur?

boots
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 11:05 PM

No, but "quality stuff" is quality stuff....regardless of your age, gender, or socioeconomic standing. So your statement was really funny.

Granted...the ability to buy certain stuff does depend on socioeconomic standing, but that is a separate issue from quality.

boots
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 11:05 PM

(I do not shop at A&F, I'm a teacher...where am I going to get that kind of money?)

BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2005, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by paul w

Wool overcoat

Pea coat

Leather

Cashmere overcoat

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadWolf
Cashmere overcoat
I have a trench with a wool/chasmere blend.

I love it. I am thinking about getting another soon.
Very warm, esp with a scarf.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2005, 11:13 PM

north face. you might find one at Nordstrom Rack (Marshall's, Ross, etc.) at half of retail. mine is all black, windproof and extremely light. though not long enough to be a coat, the sides do have cinches to keep things tight for wind protection. not the warmest but perfect for layering.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 11:16 PM

No, but "quality stuff" is quality stuff....regardless of your age, gender, or socioeconomic standing. So your statement was really funny.

Granted...the ability to buy certain stuff does depend on socioeconomic standing, but that is a separate issue from quality.
But it isn't quality stuff. To me, quality also implies some sense of value. Paying $45 for a freaking T-shirt or $80-100 for jeans is just retarded.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 11:32 PM

I have a nice marlboro classics coat (which is known as a good brand in UK, although I'm sure to US ears it sounds like something you get for free after buying 30 cartons of 'rettes.)

Also I have a wool peacoat which I like...

And a Barbour jacket for all those rainy scottish days.

boots
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 11:34 PM

But it isn't quality stuff. To me, quality also implies some sense of value. Paying $45 for a freaking T-shirt or $80-100 for jeans is just retarded.
That's why your so funny some times. You have a wrong definition of something in your head, and you argue the issue to death rather than admit that *maybe* you used the wrong word.

Look up the word quality. It has nothing to do with price. Value is the word you wanted. Had you used the word value, I'd have been with you all the way. As it is, I felt the need to taunt you a little.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp
north face. you might find one at Nordstrom Rack (Marshall's, Ross, etc.) at half of retail. mine is all black, windproof and extremely light. though not long enough to be a coat, the sides do have cinches to keep things tight for wind protection. not the warmest but perfect for layering.
ya. i like that style of coat, so im probably going with something like that. i have a northface backpack that im quite fond of. a softshell/hardshell jacket with a fleece underneath is hard to beat. a friend of mine works for moosejaw (www.moosejaw.com - YOU GOT SPAMMED!) and is giving me some advice on winter wear. i think his help is going to push me into the 400 dollar range, but if the stuff is nice and will last a long time its a good investment.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 11:37 PM

Who ever said that AF had quality stuff? Do these look like quality?

The only "high quality" things that AF have are models:

(And I should add that they are indeed very high quality)

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 11:40 PM

That's why your so funny some times. You have a wrong definition of something in your head, and you argue the issue to death rather than admit that *maybe* you used the wrong word.

Look up the word quality. It has nothing to do with price. Value is the word you wanted. Had you used the word value, I'd have been with you all the way. As it is, I felt the need to taunt you a little.
I know the difference between value and quality.... but they are not completely seperated from each other. If you have the shittiest clothes on the planet for $1, that does not make them a good value even if they are cheap. Quality wise, A&F sucks. I've seen plenty of it in high school, and the thread starts coming out of things, the jeans are too thin to last long, etc etc etc. It isn't QUALITY clothing, it's overpriced trend-wear for rich yuppie kids who's parents buy them everything.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 11:58 PM

Trenchcoat + a good scarf = warm gentleman in the winter. I also recommend "ear bags" as a fashionable way to keep your ears warm.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 12:07 AM

llbean.com

scaught you know you want it

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 12, 2005, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
Trenchcoat + a good scarf = warm gentleman in the winter. I also recommend "ear bags" as a fashionable way to keep your ears warm.
If it's that cold, my scarf covers my ears.

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2005, 01:15 AM

3 words...

THE NORTH FACE

i have 4 jackets, basically 1 for every type of weather i may endure (goose down jacket for winter, wind stopper for windy fall days, fleece for cool night and fall days, and a light wieght rain jacket)

Great quality, well worth the minor splurge..i've had the down jacket for 5 years now...still in terrific shape with daily winter use

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2005, 01:15 AM

3 words...

THE NORTH FACE

i have 4 jackets, basically 1 for every type of weather i may endure (goose down jacket for winter, wind stopper for windy fall days, fleece for cool night and fall days, and a light wieght rain jacket)

Great quality, well worth the minor splurge..i've had the down jacket for 5 years now...still in terrific shape with daily winter use

Forum Links
Forum Rules