Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Michelle Branch: F' Off

Michelle Branch: F' Off
tikki
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 11:59 PM

This is somewhat refreshing: a totally open, raw spilling of emotion from someone in the public spotlight.

Check out out

Some quotables:

I would give nothing more than to play music in a shitty bar and fold clothes at The Gap for a living.
I'm sick of sucking d-- to get my music heard, putting on a fake smile, and saying things that are acceptable.
When the Wreckers album finally comes out, we'll see the ones who decided to stick around. As for the rest of you, I meant it when I said 'f-off

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2005, 12:00 AM

She's naughty and Santa is watching.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2005, 12:13 AM

So she was faking her smile while she was convincing me to listen to her music? damn.

Good thing I never listened to her music after she was done.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Dec 10, 2005, 12:40 AM

Never heard of her.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2005, 12:52 AM

I bought all her albums while back, even the current song with Santana. It's sad to hear the forum is doomed. She lost some fans from posting for MAXIM tho.

I will still support Michelle Branch or The Wreckers. Maverick let her down couple years ago.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2005, 01:14 AM

I actually like her stuff.
And personally, I think she's pretty hot, too.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2005, 09:09 AM

I'm sick of sucking d-- to get my music heard, putting on a fake smile, and saying things that are acceptable.
Here's a clue then honey... ...write something which isn't inane crap.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Super Mario
Dec 11, 2005, 09:26 AM

Did she really suck did to get her music heard? I'll hear her music if she does that to me. Who is she anyway?

Super Mario
Dec 11, 2005, 09:27 AM

awesome. Look at her. Can't believe she'll suck my dick if I listen to her cd.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2005, 09:41 AM

Inane crap? As far as pop goes she's pretty...organic and real, especially when her competition is the likes of gwen stefani and britney. I thought her first album, the spirit room was quite good, my fave being "Something to sleep to". It's anyone's guess whether this is just a publicity stunt (though admitting to sucking dick on-the-record makes this unlikely imho) or whether she's truely sick and tired of putting up the facade. If it's the latter more power to her I say.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2005, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by qnxde
Inane crap?
Yep. Do you know how many female wannabe artistes with an acoustic guitar (it's always an acoustic guitar!) there are out there doing exactly this same kind of stuff? There's nothing even remotely interesting in her sound or style. This is why she has to play the game and kiss ass - to get ahead of all the other inane crap. If her style was unique she could pretty much get away with not toeing the line and could do things her own way.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Yep. Do you know how many female wannabe artistes with an acoustic guitar (it's always an acoustic guitar!) <snip>
Don't blame the guitar

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 11:40 AM

And Santana has been playing the same three notes the past two decades.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2005, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
And Santana has been playing the same three notes the past two decades.
But on a PRS, so it automatically sounds better.

hayesk
Dec 11, 2005, 11:50 AM

Good for her for posting that. Lots of musicians are pressured and obligated by stupid music execs to do things they don't want to do because they had to sign an unfair contract with their record label.

The music industry is in dire need of a big shakeup.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 11:54 AM

But on a PRS, so it automatically sounds better.
I am not too fond of Santanas PRS signature series guitars.
Originally Posted by hayesk
Good for her for posting that. Lots of musicians are pressured and obligated by stupid music execs to do things they don't want to do because they had to sign an unfair contract with their record label.

The music industry is in dire need of a big shakeup.
You know, no one MADE her sign an "unfair" contract. She didn't HAVE to do it.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk
Here's the deal.
If you're a one-off with a unique sound (i.e. Bjork, Beck, Gwen Stefani) you can write your own ticket.
If you're a clone of every other artiste, you're just catalogue padding and you need to play the game the way the companies want it played.

Trust me on this, there's absolutely nothing special about Michelle Branch - there's absolutely no reason why I'd want to spend money creating a record by her rather than creating a record by any of the other thousands of "angsty but poppy girls with acoustic guitars" out there. No preference - it's all the same inane crap. It may not appear that way by the time you lot get to hear it but that's because people like me have spent hours polishing that turd to make it suitable for your consumption. Before us producer types have been around it, most of it is just the same old crap. The artiste may think they're special and unique, but trust me most of the time there's no uniqueness and we've seen it all before.

So why should we choose one potential artiste over and above another? Because of the other things she's prepared to do (i.e. FHM photo shoots, bringing home cooking to the studio every day, etc..) in order to help us promote her, sell product and make money or just generally not have too bad an experience putting up with her arty crap every day for a couple of months.

Standard ugly girl whining with an acoustic guitar? Ten a dozen.
Good looking girl who's prepared to do FHM shoots, bring us home cooking and generally play the game whilst occasionally whining with an acoustic guitar? Yep.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 01:40 PM

Yeah all the cool original bands have coporations fighting over them. Bands like that can pretty much pick and choose WHAT they want.

However, the money/artitstic license etc is a trade off.

Usually at first the more money you make, the less you have in the say.

James L
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 02:23 PM

Here's the deal.
If you're a one-off with a unique sound (i.e. Bjork, Beck, Gwen Stefani) you can write your own ticket.
If you're a clone of every other artiste, you're just catalogue padding and you need to play the game the way the companies want it played.

Trust me on this, there's absolutely nothing special about Michelle Branch - there's absolutely no reason why I'd want to spend money creating a record by her rather than creating a record by any of the other thousands of "angsty but poppy girls with acoustic guitars" out there. No preference - it's all the same inane crap. It may not appear that way by the time you lot get to hear it but that's because people like me have spent hours polishing that turd to make it suitable for your consumption. Before us producer types have been around it, most of it is just the same old crap. The artiste may think they're special and unique, but trust me most of the time there's no uniqueness and we've seen it all before.

So why should we choose one potential artiste over and above another? Because of the other things she's prepared to do (i.e. FHM photo shoots, bringing home cooking to the studio every day, etc..) in order to help us promote her, sell product and make money or just generally not have too bad an experience putting up with her arty crap every day for a couple of months.

Standard ugly girl whining with an acoustic guitar? Ten a dozen.
Good looking girl who's prepared to do FHM shoots, bring us home cooking and generally play the game whilst occasionally whining with an acoustic guitar? Yep.
Where can we hear some of your music?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by James L
Various rock albums and top ten hits of the 80's and 90's.

tikki  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 02:44 PM

iTunes Of Course

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

James L
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 06:17 PM

Various rock albums and top ten hits of the 80's and 90's.

Actually, I was thinking of your own song writing.

However, if you want to post some of your work on other people's songs from the 80's and 90's that would be cool too. Or, just give some track titles so we can look them up ourselves.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2005, 06:40 PM

However, if you want to post some of your work on other people's songs from the 80's and 90's that would be cool too. Or, just give some track titles so we can look them up ourselves.
Not a chance mate. I like my anonymity.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
Never heard of her.
Ditto. And she's married, then admits she sucks dick to get her music heard. Wow.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2005, 06:57 PM

Yep. Do you know how many female wannabe artistes with an acoustic guitar (it's always an acoustic guitar!) there are out there doing exactly this same kind of stuff? There's nothing even remotely interesting in her sound or style. This is why she has to play the game and kiss ass - to get ahead of all the other inane crap. If her style was unique she could pretty much get away with not toeing the line and could do things her own way.

Hey!!! The Donnas don't use no stinking acoustic guitars!!!!!!!!!!!
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

jjlannoo
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2005, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
Ditto. And she's married, then admits she sucks dick to get her music heard. Wow.
While She really may have done that. I don't think She meant it to read literally LOL
iMac G5 20" 2.1 GHz Power Mac G4 Cube 450 MHz
my .mac

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by qnxde
Inane crap? As far as pop goes she's pretty...organic and real, especially when her competition is the likes of gwen stefani and britney.
Back then, people compared Michelle Branch to Vanessa Carlton... but Gwen Stefani and Britney..hmm.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 08:02 PM

Doofy is a knob twiddler.

(in case you hadn't noticed. )

Sometimes he knows what he's talking about. This is one of those rare occasions.

hayesk
Dec 12, 2005, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
You know, no one MADE her sign an "unfair" contract. She didn't HAVE to do it.
I agree, however, she was probably under pressure to do so to start her career and wasn't wise to the consequences and to better alternatives (e.g. independent labels).

Forum Links
Forum Rules