Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Any ideas for future Mac Mini?

Any ideas for future Mac Mini?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2007, 09:56 PM

I want to buy a Mac Mini to use in my home office but am wondering if there's been any speculation of the next Mac Mini. For awhile I know it was rumored it would disappear but yet it was updated. I wish they had added 'n' networking instead of g. I've heard how now the Macbook may be going to aluminum so I'm wondering if the Mini will be doing that and no longer being in the white enclosure. Any ideas?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 10:05 PM

The Mac mini will continue to be the low end of the Apple desktop line, so as far as hardware updates, they will be minimal. My sources tell me that they don't expect any updates to the mini line until at least next summer, so buying now is a good idea.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2007, 12:42 PM

Just like the MacBook, Apple passed on the option to include better graphics. GMA950 is over 2 years old, and GMA X3100 was released in May of this year. The last MacBook and Mac mini upgrades were really just drop-in changes (just give the folks on the line different chips) that didn't require any design work.

Perhaps it means a substantial redesign is coming soon, or perhaps it just means that consumers are happy buying older tech.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
I want to buy a Mac Mini to use in my home office but am wondering if there's been any speculation of the next Mac Mini. For awhile I know it was rumored it would disappear but yet it was updated. I wish they had added 'n' networking instead of g.
By looking at the timing and specs of the last upgrade it becomes very clear that Apple is keeping the mini around just to have something in the <$1k desktop market. It's not going to get any fancy new features and it's likely going to lag behind other models in terms of chipset and clock. It eventually gets what other models have had before. Apple's certainly not throwing a lot of R&D money its way.

If you want an affordable Apple dektop with 802.11n Draft-2 it's going to be the iMac. If you absolutely want a mini, you might consider 802.11n Draft-2 USB adapter like this one. I have no idea if it's worth anything though.

TRIMA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2007, 08:11 AM

Why would you buy a Mac Mini?

Only to look on the net the price of the standard model seems to me a little bit to high.
When you order the topmodel with a screen and mouse and keyboard, you have to pay an amount of money in the neigbourhood of a iMac 20".

And that is as a computer a much better device.

So, what is the use of het Mac MIni with this configuration and these prices.
200 dollars less and it would be a quite different story.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by TRIMA View Post

Only to look on the net the price of the standard model seems to me a little bit to high.
When you order the topmodel with a screen and mouse and keyboard, you have to pay an amount of money in the neigbourhood of a iMac 20".
Maybe because I already had a nice monitor, keyboard and mouse?

MyMac8MyPC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2007, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by TRIMA View Post
The question is "why would you buy a iMac?"

We bought our new mini for 469 a month ago and run it on a 37" Olivia 537H HDTV/monitor. Do you have any idea of what that would cost if (even if it were available) in a iMac? I don't want to be locked into a (tiny) monitor and the Mac Mini gives you more options. Besides, the new iMacs screen is so shiny that you could almost use it as a mirror to comb your hair in You stick with your iMac, we're VERY happy with our mini/37" HDTV/monitor arrangement thank you very much

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
Any ideas?
Hi, somewhere I read that on december 2007 Intel is going to stop production of the current C2D line of processors that can be found on current Mac minis, MacBooks (Pros?).

I "speculate" that "maybe" and "if the Appleinsider's believes about the dead of the mini remain believes", we could see a new Mac mini (maybe also MacBooks, MBPs) with a bit faster FSB and a Penryn CPU on the beginning of next year.

Can't find the link with news about Intel stopping production of those C2D processors but I think I saw it at the Intel site or the Intel Dev. Forums

Take it as my .02 speculation
Best Regards

PD.: If the Mac mini cached your attention buy one, IMPO minis are great productive/mobile/usable desktop computers, if they disappear you may ask all your life similar questions I ask to myself: Why I didn't bought a 12" Powerbook!?
( Last edited by darkmatter; Sep 27, 2007 at 01:52 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules