Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to make Safari use the font I want?

How to make Safari use the font I want?
seasurfer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2007, 02:17 PM

I realized that despite setting the font preferences I want, Safari still display the native fonts setting in most of the webpages, is there anyway I can make it display the font I want?

Cybersparrow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2007, 03:14 PM

You can do this by specifying your own stylesheet, though it takes a bit of work. In Safari 3, the option is in the Advanced tab of the Preferences dialog. I don't remember where it is in Safari 2. In your stylesheet, you just put a lot of lines that look like this:

"HTML tag you want to change" {font-family: "font you want" !important}

The "!important" thing is important because it forces Safari to override any settings from the website's stylesheet. However, I don't know what happens if a website's style sheet also specifies "!important" for a particular tag. Hmmm...

seasurfer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2007, 07:48 PM

How to write a style sheet? Use what program to write?

Cybersparrow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2007, 07:56 PM

I use TextEdit, but you can use any program that can save as plain text. When you save, give the file an extension of css and you're all set.

MyMac8MyPC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2007, 11:57 PM

You can use Taco to write it...

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Dec 9, 2007, 01:50 PM

Or Textwrangler is another text editor. It also has color coding capabilities. And W3schools is a good place to start learning some CSS syntax. I know I've learned a lot, HTML wise from this site.

I myself haven't tried what you are doing, but I don't think you should have too much of a probably accomplishing this. Anyways, good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules