Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Slight case warp on 15" Powerbook

Slight case warp on 15" Powerbook
DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2005, 01:10 AM

I have a 15" 1.5GHz Superdrive Powerbook and I have noticed something. The strip of aluminum above the slot drive on mine and many other books has a slight waviness to it. I once thought this was just a defect on my case, but I've noticed it on many others including ones on display at the Apple Store. Does anyone know what causes this and if it progressively gets more pronounced? Thanks much for your help.
( Last edited by DKeithA; Jan 9, 2005 at 01:21 AM. )

nate_02
Senior User
Jan 9, 2005, 01:15 AM

Don't know what causes it, but yes, on mine at lease, it keeps getting worse.
-nate

DKeithA  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2005, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by nate_02:
Don't know what causes it, but yes, on mine at lease, it keeps getting worse.
Great. Oh well, still an awesome machine.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2005, 02:42 AM

Got it on 3 spots on my 12", just one of those things .
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2005, 03:38 AM

Got it on my 12" as well. It's right above the latch button where the Al is very thin. I noticed it for the first time after I had knocked the PowerBook bag over pretty hard. I guess that put some stress on the case and the case gave at the weakest point. The damage looks like this (in my case it's a tad less bad, but similar):

Pictures taken from this post.

Bad thing is you can't get the wave out of there by applying force (tried with an eraser, didn't budge at all). Goes to show that these Al PowerBooks are awesome but delicate. They're not very forgiving when it comes to physical abuse.
( Last edited by Simon; Jan 9, 2005 at 04:15 AM. )

DKeithA  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2005, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Got it on my 12" as well. It's right above the latch button where the Al is very thin. I noticed it for the first time after I had knocked the PowerBook bag over pretty hard. I guess that put some stress on the case and the case gave at the weakest point.

Bad thing is you can't get the wave out of there by applying force (tried with an eraser, didn't budge at all). Goes to show that these Al PowerBooks are awesome but delicate. They're not very forgiving when it comes to physical abuse.
Mine is not as pronounced as that and I hope it never will be. Have you talked to Apple about that? You didn't drop it, right? Knocking your bag shouldn't have caused that much damage. If it does I think that denotes a problem with the product. I would hope Apple would acknowledge that the case shouldn't do that with normal wear and tear.

At any rate, I love this machine.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2005, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by DKeithA:
Mine is not as pronounced as that and I hope it never will be.
Well, mine isn't quite as bad as on the picture. As I mentioned, my damage is similar, but these pics are from somebody else.

Have you talked to Apple about that? You didn't drop it, right? Knocking your bag shouldn't have caused that much damage.
No, I have never ever dropped a notebook.

The bag it was in was standing upright on a table. When I turned around (I had been talking to somebody) I hit the bag with my arm which made the bag fall over. But due to the blow I gave it, it was more like smahed over.

If it does I think that denotes a problem with the product. I would hope Apple would acknowledge that the case shouldn't do that with normal wear and tear.
It is an inherent design problem. At the location of the button the Al is only a couple mm wide. If the case is put under stress it will give at the weakest point, which seems to be here. I don't think it's Apple's design fault. But if they could reinforce the Al at these weak points I wouldn't mind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules