Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Hitler's retreat to host luxury hotel

Hitler's retreat to host luxury hotel
typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 11:07 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/DESTI....ap/index.html

BERLIN, Germany (AP) -- A new luxury hotel will open next month on the site of Adolf Hitler's Alpine retreat, which served as a part-time seat of government where he and other Nazi leaders often met to plan Germany's assault on Europe and the Holocaust.

The new hotel, the Intercontinental Resort Berchtesgaden, will open on the Obersalzberg mountaintop to guests on March 1, the Bavarian Finance Ministry said Thursday.

The decision to build a hotel on the site above the German Alp town of Berchtesgaden angered many Jewish groups.

German officials have tried to address those concerns with a documentation center opened in 1999 to detail the area's Nazi past.

In addition, the state of Bavaria kept ownership of the land and set the condition that the hotel be designed for affluent tourists -- precautions designed to help keep out neo-Nazis.

When launching the project in 2001, officials said the hotel would include 138 rooms -- complete with swimming pools, a health spa and nearby ski areas -- and would reconnect the site with a 19th-century tourism tradition.

The site, about 60 miles southeast of Munich, included a number of buildings and bunkers that were designed as Hitler's Alpine fortress.

Nearby is Kehlstein peak, with a restaurant known as "Eagle's Nest," also once used by Hitler.

Hitler survived an assassination attempt at a different retreat, Wolf's Lair, in what is now Poland.

Most of the Obersalzberg buildings were destroyed by Allied bombers in 1945.

The U.S. military used the area as a resort after World War II, before handing it back to Germany in 1996.

Bavarian officials blew up Hitler's guest house in 1952 out of fears it would become a neo-Nazi shrine.

Does this seem wrong to anyone? Just curious.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2005, 11:26 AM

I spent a weekend at that hotel. As the article says it was operated as a resort by the US Army for the benefit of U.S. Soldiers stationed in Germany. The Hotel I stayed in was renamed the General Walker and it was on a steep hill over Berchtesgaden, which is where all the top Nazis had summer homes. The hotel has a very interesing bunker complex concealed under it which guests were allowed to tour. Apparently that bunker was never used, and was mostly stripped out when I toured it.

The hotel was also the site of part of the Munich Conference of 1938, which is interesing if you like dwelling on shameful episodes in Allied history. I didn't get to see the Eagle's Nest itself because it was closed for the winter.

I stayed there in 1993, only a couple of years before it was handed back to the German government. I'm not surprised that 10 years later the German government is still trying to puzzle out what to do with it.

Edit: Personally, I think they have to figure out some way to allow the public to use it. Berchtesgaden is a resort. It's very pretty, perfect for skiing and the like, but not much else. The town would die without its tourist visitors.
( Last edited by SimeyTheLimey; Feb 18, 2005 at 11:34 AM. )

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
I spent a weekend at that hotel. As the article says it was operated as a resort by the US Army for the benefit of U.S. Soldiers stationed in Germany. The Hotel I stayed in was renamed the General Walker . . .
As in Maj. General Edwin Walker? The one that Oswald took a shot at?

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2005, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:
As in Maj. General Edwin Walker? The one that Oswald took a shot at?
I'm not sure. Edwin Walker rings a bell, but I could be mistaken. This site has some information about it, but no mention of which General Walker the name referred to. Apparently it was demolished after I stayed there. I guess this new one is built on the site.

Here is a German language article about it.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 12:12 PM

I spent a weekend at that hotel.
That's pretty cool. I've only heard about it watching Band of Brothers.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 12:15 PM

I'm not sure. Edwin Walker rings a bell, but I could be mistaken. This site has some information about it, but no mention of which General Walker the name referred to. Apparently it was demolished after I stayed there. I guess this new one is built on the site.

Hmm . . . more likely it was Walton Walker: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/whwalker.htm

Edwin Walker commanded a division in Germany, but not until 1959, and he was rather infamous after that, so I doubt they would've named a hotel after him. But the name caught my eye.

Edwin was an avid John Bircher and segregationist and got fired for trying to indoctrinate his troops. Someone took a shot at him at his home a short time before the Kennedy assassination, and Maria Oswald told police that Lee told her that same night that he had done it. He had photos of Walker's home in his possession, so it makes sense. Oswald was a crazy bastard.

[edited for clarity]
( Last edited by zigzag; Feb 18, 2005 at 02:36 PM. )

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2005, 12:33 PM

Hmm . . . more likely it was this Walker: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/whwalker.htm

Edwin Walker commanded a division in Germany, but not until 1959, and he was rather infamous after that, so I doubt they would've named a hotel after him. But the name caught my eye.

Walker was an avid John Bircher and segregationist and got fired for trying to indoctrinate his troops. Someone took a shot at him at his home a short time before the Kennedy assassination, and Maria Oswald told police that Lee told her that same night that he had done it. He had photos of Walker's home in his possession, so it makes sense. The man was crazy.
Yes, I think that is much more likely. The hotel was named in 1953. If Edwin Walker didn't get a division until 1959 that would mean they named the "General Walker" after someone who was probably a colonel at the time. Not very likely.

But anyway, I can't say I paid very much attention to the name. The history about part of Mein Kampf being written there and so on was more interesting.

Alright, funny story. We went out to a disco in Berchtesgarten and one of my squadmates hooked up with this skanky looking East German barracks wh*** (they hung out there looking to meet up with GIs). He disappeared at the end of the evening and didn't show up at the hotel until the morning. I asked him where he had been and he said with great pride that she had taken him back to her place. My next question was: Where, under the bridge? He didn't know whether to laugh or pop me.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 01:26 PM

Hey Simey, is that the dude from The New Yorker in your sig?
Yeah, I know, totally OT, but I'm curious.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2005, 01:32 PM

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 01:38 PM

Yet another reason you're my favorite conservative on this board.
/mal

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2005, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Yet another reason you're my favorite conservative on this board.
Thanks, I guess. It's not very original but since we don't wear wigs it is hard to find a picture of a lawyer that people would recognize as a lawyer.

I did kind of like this one, though.

Yeah baby, big firm corporate law. Woo hoo!

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 02:11 PM

ROFL!
And the compliment was sincere. I value your posts for their intelligence and lack of gratuitous mud-slinging.
/mal

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 02:20 PM

I have that book, and I still see it on the remainder shelves now and then. Very funny.

My favorite was always a Charles Bragg caricature that showed a pompous trial lawyer holding up a giant wooden "A." The caption: "Exhibit A." Call me stupid but that one always cracked me up. I always wanted to try that in a trial, just for laughs.

finboy
Feb 18, 2005, 02:32 PM

They probably named the hotel after Walton Walker, the same general they named the Walker Bulldog tank (M41) after. He was killed in Korea in 1951, so the timing would be about right.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2005, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
ROFL!
And the compliment was sincere. I value your posts for their intelligence and lack of gratuitous mud-slinging.
Thanks. I try but I don't always make it. I've thrown mud occasionally, though I shouldn't. I've also been posting waaaaaaay too much lately. Expect to see less once I start studying for the bar, and a lot less when I'm in practice.

My favorite was always a Charles Bragg caricature that showed a pompous trial lawyer holding up a giant wooden "A." The caption: "Exhibit A." Call me stupid but that one always cracked me up. I always wanted to try that in a trial, just for laughs.

I like that, but I'd be scared of a contempt sanction. Do judges have that much of a sense of humor in your experience?

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 03:45 PM

I like that, but I'd be scared of a contempt sanction. Do judges have that much of a sense of humor in your experience?
Most have a good sense of humor (although some are utterly humorless), but a joke like that would not normally go over well in an actual trial. There's too much at stake, the parties are angry, the judge is impatient and would rather be playing golf, etc. There are inevitable moments of levity - usually when someone misspeaks - but to pull off that particular stunt you'd have to be in very friendly surroundings. The trials that go on for weeks and weeks can be like that - it's human nature for people to loosen up in those situations.

I've also always wanted to do the Chico Marx bit where he literally rests his case, but it's so corny that I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

I did practice before one Irish judge who liked to joke around. Once, I saw him ask a woman (who was obviously scared to death to be in court) why she wanted a divorce (stop me if you've heard this . . .). She went through a litany of reasons: he drinks, he takes drugs, he don't come home, he don't work, he beats me all the time, etc. etc. With a perfectly straight face, the judge said, "Well other than that, what don't you like about him?" She got this utterly panicked look on her face and started crying when he assured her that he was just joking and trying to help her relax. Which goes to show why you have to be careful.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2005, 10:10 PM

Most have a good sense of humor (although some are utterly humorless), but a joke like that would not normally go over well in an actual trial. There's too much at stake, the parties are angry, the judge is impatient and would rather be playing golf, etc. There are inevitable moments of levity - usually when someone misspeaks - but to pull off that particular stunt you'd have to be in very friendly surroundings. The trials that go on for weeks and weeks can be like that - it's human nature for people to loosen up in those situations.

I've also always wanted to do the Chico Marx bit where he literally rests his case, but it's so corny that I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

I did practice before one Irish judge who liked to joke around. Once, I saw him ask a woman (who was obviously scared to death to be in court) why she wanted a divorce (stop me if you've heard this . . .). She went through a litany of reasons: he drinks, he takes drugs, he don't come home, he don't work, he beats me all the time, etc. etc. With a perfectly straight face, the judge said, "Well other than that, what don't you like about him?" She got this utterly panicked look on her face and started crying when he assured her that he was just joking and trying to help her relax. Which goes to show why you have to be careful.
Here's another judge who should have been careful.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 10:27 PM

They tore down the Gen. Walker????

Oh man, does that place have memories. I spent my freshman and sophmore years of high school in Munich and the Gen. Walker was a very frequent location for trips and retreats.

In fact, it was the site of Mormon Youth Conference both years I lived in Munich. Mormon teens from all over Europe spent 5 days there and it was the occassion of my first heavy petting session.

The Eagle's Nest is spectacular and the nearby Koenigsee is still my favorite body of water on earth.

I'm sad to see the Gen. Walker go, but Berchtesgaden is most definitely one of the most beautiful places on earth and any resort there is more than worth a visit. I hope it is a smashing success.

Incidently, our high school's mascot was the Mustang and we had a huge sculture of a mustang in front of the school that was liberated from Hitler's parade grounds.

P.S. When were you there, Simey?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2005, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
P.S. When were you there, Simey?
One weekend in the winter of 1993. I don't remember the month, but I am thinking it wasn't long after I arrived in Germany, perhaps around November '93.

I was ordered to go. Tough assignment.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 10:45 PM

One weekend in the winter of 1993. I don't remember the month, but I am thinking it wasn't long after I arrived in Germany, perhaps around November '93.

I was ordered to go. Tough assignment.
Your noble sacrifice is duly noted

I was there 87-88 so no one can accuse us of anything. Unless, of course, you know something of the filthy limericks on the restroom stalls...

I hope for a chance to visit Berchtesgaden again sometime soon.

Did you ever visit the Salt Mines there? They do a fantastic tour. You dress up as miners and ride a tiny train down into the mountain. There are massive wooden slides, incredible caverns and even an underground lake boat ride. Fantastic.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2005, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Did you ever visit the Salt Mines there? They do a fantastic tour. You dress up as miners and ride a tiny train down into the mountain. There are massive wooden slides, incredible caverns and even an underground lake boat ride. Fantastic.
No I missed those. A lot of the sites, such as the Eagle's Nest were closed for the winter. That's one of the reasons I had to be ordered. I was hoping to go a few months later (the company got a couple of slots a month, it went on a rotation). I didn't want to lose the chance to go later. As it turned out I wouldn't have gone at all if I had waited because they closed it down. So I got lucky.

I was only there the one weekend. I went over to Salzberg, took the bunker tour, went swimming, relaxed, and went out to a club. Then it was back to Mannheim.

I don't remember any school trips when I was there. It was all single GIs and some families trying to avoid the single GIs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules