Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Kernel Panic - always a Page Fault

Kernel Panic - always a Page Fault
supernature
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2006, 02:41 AM

Okay, so I am 99% sure I have a hardware issue - bad memory.

Question - Could it still be a OS X bug or a software memory leak?

Now, I've come to teh conclusion that it's a specific "task" or "recall" of something in the OS. Specifically, I have these kernel panic everytime I open up dashboard or date/time system preferences, with the condition that either of them were not opened up shortly after booting up.

Logically, I'm thinking that it must be calling up a part of the core OS that is always stored in memory during bootup. It's causing the kernel panic because it's trying to call up that part of the memory where it thinks that data is stored, but now it is no longer there.

Now, what doesn't make sense is that, if it was bad memory, wouldn't I be able to crash it despite how long the computer has been on? So, why not get a kernel panic every single time? Why only after it's been on for hours? And so, I was thinking it's a memory leak somewhere.

So is this memory leak in the software side of it, or is it in the hardware side?
Can the hardware leak memory w/o any help from the software?

Wierd thing is that as of so far, I currently haven't been able to make dashboard crash the computer again. But there are two less things int he dashboard than before. I removed the clock and then the calendar. After removing the clock widget, dashboard was still able to take down my computer. But after removing the calender widget, I haven't been able to make my computer crash yet calling up dashboard.

So, 10% of me still thinks that it's a software memory bug leak. If it was hardware related, it would have to crash no matter when I call up dashboard and/or date/time prefs.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 03:19 AM

Memory leaks never cause panics. You've got bad RAM.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

liquidtrance123
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2006, 08:12 AM

(Powermac) 2x 2.0Ghz / 2560MB DDR400 / Radeon x800xt / 2x 36GB Raptors (Raid 0)
20" Apple Cinema Display

supernature  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Memory leaks never cause panics. You've got bad RAM.
So, here's an ineresting turn of events for me. I reinstalled the OS but did not upgrade to 10.4.7. And I have no issues yet, though it's only been 12 hours since it's been on.

supernature  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2006, 11:18 PM

Thanks for the replies.... I think I found my problem. So this post will end. It was hardware related and not software.... damaged PRAM battery.

Forum Links
Forum Rules