Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Photo Critique Thread - [JPEG]

Photo Critique Thread - [JPEG] (Page 27)
Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jun 1, 2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
So are you saying that composition is purely subjective?
I am saying no such thing. It is both subjective and objective. It is objective in the sense that there are known ways in which compositional rules apply, but there are also examples of where a photo benefits from breaking them.

Really, this whole discussion comes down to your use of the word "tip".

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
A pretty good one though, to be honest. The rule of thirds and leading lines are so popular for a very good reason. This particular picture could benefit from their application.
I don't entirely disagree. But some basic portrait work needs to be composed in a way which allows customers to chose the crop later. For example, square framed photos are very popular right now. - - e r i k - - 's crop does not lend itself to framing the image. In a square fame the top of the head and part of the feet would be covered by the frame.

- - e r i k - - 's

Original

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2009, 03:01 PM

I figured I'd put this one up here. Had a baby boy back in April. Set up a little mini-studio using a white sheet for a backdrop, 580EX II off shoe lighting up the sheet, and available morning light coming through a window as my primary lighting. I've never done any portrait work before, so this is all somewhat new to me. Shot with a 60mm f/2.8 macro. This is also my first B&W conversion in a looong time, and all of my previous BW conversions were landscapes.. so very different subject matter. So I am looking for some feedback on the BW conversion as well.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I don't entirely disagree. But some basic portrait work needs to be composed in a way which allows customers to chose the crop later. For example, square framed photos are very popular right now. - - e r i k - - 's crop does not lend itself to framing the image. In a square fame the top of the head and part of the feet would be covered by the frame.
I see what you're saying, but even in the 1x1 crop, it seems like it would've been slightly more appealing to have the composition shifted a bit to the right.

This is why I can't do studio work. I have to take my clients out on location, roam around with them, laugh, have fun, and get creative on the fly with nothing but my camera and a few lenses.

Instead of focusing on how many available crops can be taken from an image, I like focusing on simply taking the best pictures I possibly can using the methods and techniques I've picked up, with a few twists thrown in for creativity's sake. I understand there will always be a demand for traditional studio photography, but I don't think I could find any sense of fulfillment from doing it on a consistent basis.

If a photo is able to be cropped for an 8x10 or 10x10, then that's fine, but taking pictures with that philosophy constantly in the back of my mind would completely rub the art out of it for me personally.

I dunno. Mindless rant...my apologies.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2009, 05:41 PM

Those are good points Jaw. I don't have a studio, so I tend to lean in that general direction when I'm out shooting as well. I bring my pack, and just start snapping shots. I'll take in the rule of thirds, then I'll throw it out...etc., etc. I'll take enough photos that I (or the client) can pick and choose depending on what their personal style suggests.

Mark -

That is one cute 'lil bugger you've got there! When I first saw that photo, I could have SWORN he was mocking me!!
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2009, 05:58 PM

No, I did mean the tip as a piece of advice. An advice you can choose to follow or not. Taking offence to it seems to be an odd thing to do.

I always shoot with extraneous space so I can choose the crop later. And while there is a case for knowing-the-rules-to-break-them, more often than not when I do choose the most aesthetically pleasing composition, I tend to have followed them subconsciously anyway.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jun 2, 2009, 12:51 AM

Taking offence to it seems to be an odd thing to do.
I never took offense to it. Just saying, it was more of an opinion in my mind than a tip. [EDIT: Yes, there is a difference.]

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2009, 05:06 AM

My kids and some friends' kids last weekend.

I love having a movable Live View screen on the camera. Bound to miss it on the D40.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
needs to be composed in a way which allows customers to chose the crop later. For example, square framed photos are very popular right now.
I've worked with many people photographers throughout my career and I suspect that if you'd make that suggestion to most of them they'd look at you in disbelief. Every single shoot I've directed was done with a crop guide taped to the camera.

Comments on this very cute baby: (personal taste alert)

1. The shot looks soft to me. Even the parts that are meant to be in focus have a strange glow/softness to them.

2. That kind of mottled background is really, and I mean really, outdated.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2009, 12:16 PM

I'm not a photographer and always assumed that the "rule of thirds" was a guideline for proper disposal of a corpse. I just captured this moment of random assault though.

Anyone have tips or resources for working with Camera Raw? I'm doing my best to avoid the "Eye Candy Filter" phase of digital tinkering.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 16, 2009, 04:58 PM

fun. energetic contents and a nice comp. altho i could do without the backpack on the wall in the background (but that's what happens with fun shots).

as for Raw, i'm a huge fan of Aperture. the amount of playing around you can do (from color temp to sharpening to midtones) without losing quality is impressive. and i enjoy the ability to create different versions of the same photo without actually making a duplicate on my hard drive.

Floyde
Jun 22, 2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
I've worked with many people photographers throughout my career and I suspect that if you'd make that suggestion to most of them they'd look at you in disbelief. Every single shoot I've directed was done with a crop guide taped to the camera.

2. That kind of mottled background is really, and I mean really, outdated.
Agree on both points.. fair play if that's what the client wanted.. but I wouldn't have offered it. A tight close crop would be my last option before going down the "mottled" background route.
But each to their own.. and some people still like it.

As regards the crop its self... I'm not sure I would ever let the client decide on the best crop for the shot... unless they were really very passionate about it and had to have it a certain way.. I like to get the shot right (my opinion of right) in camera which also means composition/framing as well as exposure/tones etc.. I always shoot in RAW but don't rely on it.
----------------------------------
It'll never get better if you pick it!!

Jens Peter
Senior User
Jun 23, 2009, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
I figured I'd put this one up here. Had a baby boy back in April. Set up a little mini-studio using a white sheet for a backdrop, 580EX II off shoe lighting up the sheet, and available morning light coming through a window as my primary lighting. I've never done any portrait work before, so this is all somewhat new to me. Shot with a 60mm f/2.8 macro. This is also my first B&W conversion in a looong time, and all of my previous BW conversions were landscapes.. so very different subject matter. So I am looking for some feedback on the BW conversion as well.

First, congratulations on becoming a dad! Second, that is a fantastic portrait of your boy; the smile, eyes and the soft lightning is very good. And it works well with the B/W. To me it looks very professional.

A technically question; how do you fire the flash off camera? Is it using a cable, another flash or pocket wizards? I've been playing around with the idea, but haven't really decided on a solution yet.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jens Peter View Post
First, congratulations on becoming a dad! Second, that is a fantastic portrait of your boy; the smile, eyes and the soft lightning is very good. And it works well with the B/W. To me it looks very professional.

A technically question; how do you fire the flash off camera? Is it using a cable, another flash or pocket wizards? I've been playing around with the idea, but haven't really decided on a solution yet.
Most likely, he's using the Canon ST-E2 transmitter, which goes on the hot shoe. That's the same one I use, and it's about the only way to get off-shoe 580-EX II shots.
the geek source

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
...and it's about the only way to get off-shoe 580-EX II shots.
I haven't read the whole thread, but why wouldn't a PC sync cord work... or a hotshoe optical slave... or pocket wizards... or other radio triggers... etc?

mr. burns
Senior User
Jun 24, 2009, 04:09 AM

my turn at studio stuff. not really my area of focus, but i thought it turned out well.
( Last edited by mr. burns; Jun 24, 2009 at 04:19 AM. )

not all who wander are lost.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by James L View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, but why wouldn't a PC sync cord work... or a hotshoe optical slave... or pocket wizards... or other radio triggers... etc?
I should have specified that it's the about the only way I'd do off-shoe shots with that flash. You can use other options, and the Canon wireless transmitter isn't the cheapest, but it's easy to set up, works flawlessly (in my use) and it's small and unobtrusive.

I didn't look very hard before I decided the ST-E2 was just a no-brainer for my shooting needs.
the geek source

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post
my turn at studio stuff. not really my area of focus, but i thought it turned out well.
I think it's pretty darn nice, really. I'm not the studio-type guy, but this one isn't quite so traditional.

Do you have a version without the vignette, or maybe less of a vignette?

mr. burns
Senior User
Jun 24, 2009, 01:10 PM

here's one with less post crop. i don't want to take it out completely because it does a good job of burning in the shirt, which is a little too distracting without it.

and here's another

i don't normally take everything with a sepia-like tone to it but i just liked it for these.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 24, 2009, 01:39 PM

Crazy storm forming on the beach yesterday:

ice

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 06:52 AM

Wicked! Extreme lack of post processing for you though

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2009, 10:27 AM

Very striking photo, Ice. And Erik, why does it have to be post-processed much? The only thing I'd do with that photo is add a bit of vibrance to punch the water and sand a bit.
the geek source

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2009, 10:47 AM

Wicked! Extreme lack of post processing for you though
Very striking photo, Ice. And Erik, why does it have to be post-processed much? The only thing I'd do with that photo is add a bit of vibrance to punch the water and sand a bit.
Thanks dudes.

And he's implying that I typically use a lot of PP on my images.
ice

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Thanks dudes.

And he's implying that I typically use a lot of PP on my images.
Aaaah, that slipped past my radar. Sorry about that, Erik.
the geek source

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 02:47 PM

Yeah, I love Ice's last image. I really like almost all of his stuff though. This one is really, really well composed.

mr. burns
Senior User
Jun 30, 2009, 11:36 PM

did some panning shots at the boardwalk today.

my favorite.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 1, 2009, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Yeah, I love Ice's last image. I really like almost all of his stuff though. This one is really, really well composed.
Thanks man!
ice

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 1, 2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post
well executed. panning shots are fun stuff. reminds me of this one i did awhile back:

boldqueen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2009, 05:08 PM

ok, all you photo experts...I'm new to PP...and I have a brand shiny new copy of CS4 for my mac. I can't seem to find any free filters for mac tho'...they all seem to be for PC's.
Where would I find any? (And I'm talking genuinely free, not sketchy illegal download free).
Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2009, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by boldqueen View Post
ok, all you photo experts...I'm new to PP...and I have a brand shiny new copy of CS4 for my mac. I can't seem to find any free filters for mac tho'...they all seem to be for PC's.
Where would I find any? (And I'm talking genuinely free, not sketchy illegal download free).
What filters are you looking for (as I open my trench coat, laden with cheap, Asian filter knock-offs)?
the geek source

boldqueen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2009, 05:35 PM

pretty much anything.
cheap asian filter knock offs included.

after blowing my wad on CS4, I don't have the cash for a nice onone package, but I find it hard to believe the mac community doesn't have most filters in freeware or shareware...

Thorzdad
Jul 1, 2009, 06:05 PM

What, specifically, do you want to do? Photoshop is pretty darn capable on its own, even without 3rd-party filters.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2009, 06:13 PM

Yeah. Anything you can do with 3rd party filters you can pretty much do with Photoshop alone.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2009, 08:36 PM

Yeah. Anything you can do with 3rd party filters you can pretty much do with Photoshop alone.
Yup. The only third party filters I've seen used in practical use in years are the Alien Skins filters. Otherwise, you can pretty much make all your own effects in CS4.
the geek source

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2009, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by boldqueen View Post
Filters?! FILTERS?!

<looks down nose at boldqueen>

We don't do filters here, dearie.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 1, 2009, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
We don't do filters here, dearie.

Unless they're strapped to the front of our lenses. -_o

Here's a shot of a co-worker taken last night:

ice

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2009, 05:57 AM

OK smarty pants, how did you get that light streak effect but the people are in focus????

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2009, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
OK smarty pants, how did you get that light streak effect but the people are in focus????
Slow curtain, with a flash freezing the person. You can set most DSLRs to either flash at the beginning or the end of an exposure.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2009, 08:37 AM

And slow curtain means what exactly? Slow shutter speed?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 2, 2009, 09:35 AM

And slow curtain means what exactly? Slow shutter speed?
Shutter speed technically means how long the shutter is open. "Slow curtain" means that the shutter opens and/or closes slowly.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Shutter speed technically means how long the shutter is open. "Slow curtain" means that the shutter opens and/or closes slowly.
And, as Phileas said, you can set most DSLR cameras to flash towards the beginning of the shutter operation, or towards the end of its operation. It makes a big difference in how the photo looks.
the geek source

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2009, 12:30 PM

You can also play around with this by exposing for ambient light, then adding a flash manually. Filtering the flash can lead to fum results.

andi*pandi
Jul 2, 2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
well executed. panning shots are fun stuff. reminds me of this one i did awhile back:

wonderful. Can I tell you how many shots I have done trying to get this effect.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 2, 2009, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
wonderful. Can I tell you how many shots I have done trying to get this effect.
thanks.
yeah, i discovered how tricky it can be while shooting a bicycle race.
*CLICK*
{Looks at LCD} - Blurry
*ClICK*
{Looks at LCD} - I can't even tell what that is supposed to be.
*ClICK*
and on and on it goes.

panning with the subject at the exact right speed is tough.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2009, 02:15 PM

Ooh I used to do those all the time - even when I shot film. Can't seem to find em though. It does take practice.

Cyclists in Amsterdam are fantastic subjects.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 2, 2009, 05:12 PM

looks like the kid is wondering when mom will stop doing circles around that red-headed guy with the camera.

i love the sense of motion that these type of shots evoke.

one from the race mentioned above:

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2009, 06:04 PM

..and the guy portrait and b+w gravitron-thing shot by mr. burns I like, forgot to mention that.

Also, Demonhood, nice shot!
ice

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2009, 08:19 PM

At a recent soccer game. I only had the little Ricoh with me, no zoom, no nothing. Still, some nice shots IMO.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2009, 02:29 AM

Here's one from the other day, taken out a train window in rural Japan.

And this was back in May at Nelson Ledges State Park in Ohio (a really cool place, if you ever get a chance to visit).

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2009, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
And, as Phileas said, you can set most DSLR cameras to flash towards the beginning of the shutter operation, or towards the end of its operation. It makes a big difference in how the photo looks.
Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
You can also play around with this by exposing for ambient light, then adding a flash manually. Filtering the flash can lead to fum results.
Is this sort of wizardry easy to setup? I mean can I go from shooting something else to this setup relatively fast?

I'll be sitting down with the D40 manual this weekend, flash (SB-600) will come after the summer probably.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2009, 10:30 AM

Is this sort of wizardry easy to setup? I mean can I go from shooting something else to this setup relatively fast?

I'll be sitting down with the D40 manual this weekend, flash (SB-600) will come after the summer probably.
Yup. Just read up on the manual, and setting the curtain as you wish will be easy. You'll have to experiment with flash settings and such, but that's the fun of creative photography!
the geek source

Forum Links
Forum Rules