Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > arrgh: 3.0 update failed, iphone non-functional

arrgh: 3.0 update failed, iphone non-functional
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2009, 07:28 PM

Well, I finally started my 3.0 update for my 3G iPhone, and it failed about half way through. Now my iPhone is acting like it's new from the box (asking to be connected to iTunes).

I figured I'd just restore it from the backup, but when I attach my phone to my Mac, iTunes shows nothing in the iPhone screen (blank screen with a big "iPhone" in grey in the middle). No restore button, no update, no nothing!! When I reconnect the iPhone to iTunes, I get this error message:

"We could not complete your iTunes Store request. An unknown error occurred (-9807).
There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later."

I do depend on this phone every day (and I've got an unusually busy day tomorrow!), any ideas of how to restore it?

Help!

Chas
( Last edited by chasg; Jun 17, 2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: a little formatting needed for readability)

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jun 17, 2009, 07:38 PM

Try it again in a few hours...it might be an effect of the update/activation servers getting Slashdotted. I downloaded the update (at a good speed too) but won't try applying it until later this evening.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2009, 08:02 PM

That's sortof what I expected to have to do. I'm in the UK, so it's already 1am here, and I'm up again at 7am (very little time to hope the /-dotting ends).

I'm still quite confused though: why can't I restore? (the backups are local, after all).

Cheers!

Chas

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2009, 08:04 PM

Yeah the iPhone here has the same problem.

No working mobile phone = not cool.

No, it's not OK!
( Last edited by Face Ache; Jun 17, 2009 at 08:12 PM. )

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2009, 08:15 PM

Nope, not even a little bit.

How did your error happen?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2009, 10:33 PM

Ran the update and got this error after the iPhone rebooted. Now it can only make emergency calls.

HELLO POLICE?! MY IPHONE IS ROOTED!

dzp111
Senior User
Jun 17, 2009, 11:00 PM

I got that error a couple of times. All I did (the second time) was click on iTunes 'Music' then back to iPhone and it was all good. Weird, but true.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2009, 11:04 PM

@Face Ache: LOL, I'm sure we'd get somebody on other end of the line saying: "mine too!"

@dzp111: you got my hopes up! That didn't work for me (but at least you've taught me a way to get my iPhone to initiate the search again, without having to unplug and plug it back in).

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2009, 03:24 AM

Solvinated.

Little Snitch was denying the brilliantly named "ocspd" from connecting to ocsp.verisign.com and that was causing the problem.

Whew!

Now to fix my bricked TomTom...

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2009, 03:44 AM

You rock, that was my problem too! (and I'm running Little Snitch on both of my machines, so swapping the phone over to my second one didn't solve the problem either, of course).

Thanks again!

Chas

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2009, 07:11 AM

Speaking of OS updates failing, my 1G touch usually fails to update properly and has only updates properly twice (OS 3.0 and one of the 2.x updates, I think). I had previously believed that iTunes automatically backed up your iPod periodically, but after every restore and supposed transfer from backup I had to rebuild my music. This time I right clicked my iPod and selected Backup before doing the 3.0 update. I thought the update was going to fail but it worked fine, and I have to wonder if backing up first had anything to do with it given the poor track record with updates I've had.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules