Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 62)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2012, 06:56 AM

So Jawbone and I had a fabulous Saturday night. We got to test out my secret rail project with hilarious results, then I decided to help him on his quest for diamond by grabbing a Nova Catalyst and replicating a Dark Matter's worth then finding a spot to blow up.

---

The rail station has made some amazing visual progress outside. I've managed to connect the Sand fortress line and the road to the village. I also put it a lot of time last night and the line to my home will be functional (but not totally complete) soon. It styles is similar to abandoned mineshafts, only imagined in their heyday. Looks pretty good thus far.

---

My work on the village is starting to pan out. I saw 8 or 9 active villagers during a fly-by last night, which means all those doors are finally working. Honestly only .3 villagers to a door seems ****ed (RL each house has several doors inside, but not so in Minecraft), so I'm going to start adding basements and whatever to try and help pad the numbers until I get a fully bustling village.

---

My Mushroom biome is looking to be a bust. For whatever reason Mooshroom cows haven't spawned there. I haven't decided what I'll be doing with the area yet.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2012, 06:59 AM

The doors need access to the sky in order to count toward the villager total.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2012, 07:03 AM

God dammit.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2012, 07:14 AM

That really doesn't make any damned sense. .3 villagers per door means a village could have 9 houses but only 3 villagers to inhabit them. Why would you want 6 empty houses?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2012, 06:49 AM

Stayed up way too late last night.

I figured out...
1. I needed a sub-basement underneath my machine basement to hide all the wiring.
2. I needed to pull a Dakar and keep my quarries underground, because I'd really like to maintain some of the terrain north, west, and south of my campus.
3. I needed to wire up said quarries to my sub-basement before getting it up and running.
4. I'm going to need to ugly up my exterior with some windmills until I can get my solar power up and running.

At around point 3, I tuckered out. There's always something that needs done in this game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 3, 2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Stayed up way too late last night.
I figured out...
1. I needed a sub-basement underneath my machine basement to hide all the wiring.
2. I needed to pull a Dakar and keep my quarries underground, because I'd really like to maintain some of the terrain north, west, and south of my campus.
Careful with this. Thanks to the sand you'll have to dig deep not to disturb the landscape. When working on the subway at the village I transmuted the ground to sandstone so I could work just below ground and maintain the shape. Then when the structure was finished, I reinforced the gaps and transmuted the sandstone back, preserving the appearance.

4. I'm going to need to ugly up my exterior with some windmills until I can get my solar power up and running.
At around point 3, I tuckered out.
Don't do the windmills. They're a waste of time – their output is dependent first on height then on obstruction. If you can't afford to build solar panels at the moment (you should be able to build one, right? All that's needed for a single quarry) I have water mills I can lend you.

There's always something that needs done in this game.
It's what makes this game more satisfying to me.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Careful with this. Thanks to the sand you'll have to dig deep not to disturb the landscape. When working on the subway at the village I transmuted the ground to sandstone so I could work just below ground and maintain the shape. Then when the structure was finished, I reinforced the gaps and transmuted the sandstone back, preserving the appearance.
Thanks. That won't be an issue for the first four quarry locations I'm planning, but definitely will be from then on. I'm glad you caught me beforehand.

Don't do the windmills. They're a waste of time – their output is dependent first on height then on obstruction. If you can't afford to build solar panels at the moment (you should be able to build one, right? All that's needed for a single quarry) I have water mills I can lend you.
I appreciate the offer. Let me spend a night or two trying to get a solar situation worked out, and I'll return to the topic later.

It's what makes this game more satisfying to me.
No doubt about it. I was very skeptical (and even a little resentful) of Tekkit at first, but I'm really starting to see how it enriches the experience. Are you listening andi?

andi*pandi
Oct 3, 2012, 08:47 AM

I'm listening. Just a little scared a) to start over, and b) worried it might be complicated and frustrating.

Right now making cookies is about what I can handle.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2012, 08:52 AM

The Yogcast guys made a video series were the start from scratch on a tekkit world and build a factory to automatically produce jafa cakes (cookies)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 3, 2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
The Yogcast guys made a video series were the start from scratch on a tekkit world and build a factory to automatically produce jafa cakes (cookies)
As they noted on one of their recent episodes, 40 or 50 episodes in and the factory still isn't running. Kind of hilarious.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 3, 2012, 09:24 AM

I appreciate the offer. Let me spend a night or two trying to get a solar situation worked out, and I'll return to the topic later.
I could make another deal with you. You go to my lair and use my resources to create 8 LV panels and you can keep one in exchange for the labor.

No doubt about it. I was very skeptical (and even a little resentful) of Tekkit at first, but I'm really starting to see how it enriches the experience. Are you listening andi?
Skeptical? Resentful? Do tell.

---

Edit: Blaze, how goes technic?

andi*pandi
Oct 3, 2012, 11:54 AM

Ok, I downloaded tekkit. However, theoldserver:25566 isn't working for me, says bad log in. ?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 3, 2012, 12:03 PM

double check the address spelling. I missed a letter when I copied it over.

Edit: Make sure you have tekkit and not technic selected.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2012, 12:05 PM

I'll look into that when I get home. I'm leaving "early" for a change.

The week before last I worked through the entire Thaumcraft tech tree to be able to mass produce the materials needed to destroy the Zerg. I'll get some pictures later.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2012, 12:32 PM

I'll make another flying ring care package for Andi as a "welcome to Tekkit" gift basket.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 3, 2012, 12:44 PM

Cover the spawn island in pressure plates, hook them up to a bunch of dispensers, and fill the dispensers with creepers.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2012, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I could make another deal with you. You go to my lair and use my resources to create 8 LV panels and you can keep one in exchange for the labor.
I'd feel a lot less guilty doing it that way. Reward for a service rendered, instead of a handout...I am a conservative, after all.

Skeptical? Resentful? Do tell.
Skeptical because all of you, sek, and blaze's screenshots seemed convoluted. It made it look like a completely different game (which it is, but not really). It looked too confusing to be any fun.

Resentful because our old world was mostly abandoned. I felt the "pure" Minecraft was left to die.

As I said the other night, I'm finally really, really excited about some of the stuff I'm doing. I'm still miles behind you guys, and probably always will be because of my schedule, but I'm having a great time with it.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2012, 02:44 PM

So I see Andi failing to log in. But she logs into the other server just fine. And Jawbone and Dakar at least are getting in. And I cloned the whitelist so I don't know.

andi*pandi
Oct 3, 2012, 02:52 PM

I did eventually get in, before Dakar got around to installing the creeper dispensers, phew... so maybe a glitch somewhere else down the pipe?

I floundered with some new key commands until I gave up and used textedit to manually put back the basic functionality my fingers know. I also have what seems to be a creative inventory, but I guess we're not playing that way? Don''t know how to turn it off.

Some pretty awesome creations!

If I were to claim a plot of land to use, can I assume I just start from spawn and head a different direction? Anything off limits?

What is the first machine I should google to figure out what's what?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2012, 03:01 PM

Theres an options button on the lower left, in there change it to recipie or hit O to turn NEI off.

andi*pandi
Oct 3, 2012, 03:03 PM

Ok, will do...

and found this, which looks to lay things out pretty straightforwardly:

http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_Started

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2012, 03:19 PM

First you are going to want a nice safehouse, a bed, some chests, and get to mining. There are a lot of new ores and whatnot, and you are going to need an ungodly amount of them.

Skip right past regular furnaces and make iron furnaces, same recipe but with iron instead of cobble.

I'm sure you will net a few gifts from myself and Dakar, to speed up the grind process early on. The first real machine you are going to need is a Macerator, which effectively doubles your ore output, of course this needs power, which you'll need a coal generator to make your first power. Another incredibly important resource is rubber, which comes from rubber trees.

Honestly, you should watch the same vide series that hooked Dakar and I, and helped Jawbone.

Tekkit with Duncan on Youtube

andi*pandi
Oct 3, 2012, 04:51 PM

Is there a setting I'm missing for turning back on the "control click to select half a stack" behavior, as it's a PITA to craft without.

I am holed up near a cross-section of volcano, snowy forest, and desert.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 4, 2012, 05:45 AM

<sigh> another one lost to tekkit. <sigh>

yinz guyz (and galz) are going to force me to look at this if I want to be in a shared world, aren't ya?

(this is all said tongue in cheek, folks)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2012, 06:17 AM

She's experimenting. Better hope it's a phase.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 4, 2012, 07:05 AM

eh, the way I see it, I can do what I enjoy doing (mining, exploring, building things) in either version. I just found I enjoy the experience more in a shared environment than in a solo world. So if the group decides Tekkit is more fun, as seems to be happening, I'll come over and be a mountain hermit or something. If it ends up being a phase, I'll keep making skyrails and fire pyramids in the main world Either way, it's fun.

(that said, the thought of high-speed rails from railcraft on my skyrail setup sounds damn interesting )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2012, 07:15 AM

I found the HS Rail makes it difficult to appreciate the detail of the environment you're passing through.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2012, 08:24 AM

So, I have a million and one projects lined up right now. In basic order of precedence:

• Build village up and try to maximize villager output without looking retarded
• Finish quarrying around Lair. Create turbolift to bedrock, holodeck, and transporter room; Finish Lair rail line
• Design skyrail and implement to Jawbones
• Finish railstation basement
• Create automated energy collector array
• Finish desert castle basement dungeon
• Pyramid and sphinx for desert area
• Finish warp core area
• Create rail line to oil rig
• Restore stronghold end portal
• Die

---

On another note, my villagers must off themselves with some regularity as I keep seeing kids at the village. I also saw one go through puberty right before my eyes. He was no longer cute.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
eh, the way I see it, I can do what I enjoy doing (mining, exploring, building things) in either version. I just found I enjoy the experience more in a shared environment than in a solo world. So if the group decides Tekkit is more fun, as seems to be happening, I'll come over and be a mountain hermit or something. If it ends up being a phase, I'll keep making skyrails and fire pyramids in the main world Either way, it's fun.
(that said, the thought of high-speed rails from railcraft on my skyrail setup sounds damn interesting )
Wait until you see us flying around and building stacks of diamonds to the moon, then we'll see if you stay satisfied to be our resident Ben Kenobi.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2012, 11:53 AM

I'm pondering seeing how fast I can make an Jaffa Cake factory without using EE. I won't even need to milk a cow.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2012, 11:56 AM

I'm pondering seeing how fast I can make an Jaffa Cake factory without using EE. I won't even need to milk a cow.
I feel like if Nano Armor took you a day, a jaffa factory will be, er, cake.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2012, 12:00 PM

So Andi, what's the coordinates of your current Tekkit shack? I'm going to swing by with a welcome basket.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2012, 01:02 PM

Nano Armor took him a day? I still don't have mine.

Yeah, Andi, I've got something I want to give you too.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2012, 03:56 PM

Okay that's just wrong. X120,Z-270

5925/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 5, 2012, 04:45 AM

Not sure what I'm looking at, but if Mario comes bouncing out of there, jumps on a flagpole, and we get a firework display...

...then your experience ended in a 3,6,or 0.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 5, 2012, 05:11 AM

I've been considering nuking the place.

andi*pandi
Oct 5, 2012, 05:26 AM

crazy mushroom town!

My treehouse coords are:
x -1037
y 99
z 768

doing a little digging, it turns out I'm right above a ravine, with a mineshaft. Woo!

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 5, 2012, 08:19 AM

So I was out and about on the Tekkit side of the server for the first time yesterday. After a couple hours of 'starting over', here's what I've learned:
(in no particular order)
  • Starting over is both fun and annoying. OK, mostly annoying, but fun in a challenging way. OK, so it's just challenging...
  • You can still do all the 'vanilla' Minecraft stuff just fine without needing to get into the big stuff. This is a positive for me.
  • Some things breed true: less than 30minutes in and I find a mineshaft. (sigh)
  • I like the ore density a LOT better than vanilla, but I miss my mining XP.

For the time being, I'm just 'playing vanilla" as I strip out this mineshaft (gotten very used to doing this from the other server) and gathering resources. Once this is done, I'll find somewhere to call 'home' and setup shop. Given the scale and scope, about how far apart should we be setting up our "home base" operations? 200-400m apart, or further?

And finally, will there be a "village" again, or should we upgrade to an "apartment building" or even an arco-style structure?

andi*pandi
Oct 5, 2012, 08:41 AM

good questions all. Not sure we need a village aka survival hut central perse if everyone else is so established already... but a town square might be good, as a place to meet up, or build projects together. I ran off from spawn before I figured out waypoints so would need coords.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2012, 08:45 AM

Every single server I've seen on the videos that doesn't have a strick policy on building plots, every village is soon abandoned. That's part of why I steered the starting village to such small plot sizes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 5, 2012, 08:49 AM

sek has plots available. Jawbone and I have one, though I have no idea what to build at the moment.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 5, 2012, 09:13 AM

Makes sense that a 'village' is pointless with us all established in one form or another. The town hall idea sounds intriguing.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 5, 2012, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
Makes sense that a 'village' is pointless with us all established in one form or another. The town hall idea sounds intriguing.
With flying rings a railstation was pointless. You didn't see that stopping me!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2012, 09:22 AM

I have plenty of open plots available in my town, and as it happens I am almost halfway between both Dakar and Jawbone.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 5, 2012, 09:27 AM

And there will be a useless rail line to there once sek gets off Borderlands 2's dick.

andi*pandi
Oct 6, 2012, 07:06 PM

Guys, guys, look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MFQwAuInDnw

And I think I spend too much time on this game.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2012, 07:13 PM

Awesome, and damnit.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2012, 11:21 AM

5966/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
5967/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
5968/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
5969/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
5970/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 8, 2012, 12:10 PM

Well, after a weekend on Tekkit I've decided to find a more permanent home than an Abandoned Mineshaft and start to setup shop. I'll post the exact coordinates later (don't have them in front of me) but it's ESE of spawn. I did dig a tunnel from the mineshaft to the new digs to ease moving all my supplies (and to keep using my macerator setup there). So far, I can sum up Tekkit as follows:
The GOOD: complexity - you can make and automate just about everything
The BAD: complexity - you have to play with a web browser open to research all the recipes
The UGLY: complexity - which wrench wrenches which? (do I need to say more?)

It's like the munchkin version of Minecraft: very complex and always looking for the most bonuses. This isn't a bad thing, but I rather miss the more balanced risk/reward ratio from Vanilla Minecraft. That said, the turtle alone is enough reason to stay with Tekkit.

Thanks to all for the care packages. Flying ring is a godsend for exploring, and the ability to recharge it doubly so. Once I'm more setup I'll post pictures (once I figure out how to post them on this forum, that is)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2012, 01:49 PM

Anyone else unable to get more than 1 or 2 FPS when logging onto the server? I haven't been able to do a thing.

[EDIT] Scratch that. I can't get more than 0. I don't have any world anchors or anything like that at my place either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules