Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ever move a piano?

Ever move a piano?
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2006, 08:26 PM

My wife's grandmother is giving her a piano, but she is about a 20 hour drive from us. Can I realistically move it myself with a rental truck, or do I actually need one of those specialized piano moving services?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2006, 08:29 PM

NO.

You have to get professionals to move the piano, unless your intention is to destroy the piano, and possibly break your back in the process.

Especially if you have to move it up/down flights of stairs. They're heavy.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2006, 08:35 PM

I have moved a number of times with two pianos. Do NOT attempt it yourself. Pay the $$ and have professionals do it. It's just not worth the risk.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2006, 08:37 PM

I agree. They are unbelievably heavy and the weight is concentrated in the relatively small area of the instrument which makes them dense and heavy.

I hope you don't try to do it yourself UNLESS you found a friend who used to work as a piano mover who knows what equipment and techniques and the manpower you'd need.

In effect, the discount way of taking CharlesS' & greenG4's advice, to get professionals.

But if you want to get really sweaty and work out of your muscles, ask your friend if you can help in the move.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2006, 08:40 PM

Ever move a piano?
Yes. I don't recommend it at all.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2006, 09:14 PM

Why not take it apart piece by piece and reassemble it in the new location!??!?!

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by alligator
Why not take it apart piece by piece and reassemble it in the new location!??!?!
It don't work like that.

Something that heavy isn't a put-it-together-yourself affair. The strings and works are what makes it so heavy and that isn't easily moved with or without the wooden parts (which are not designed to be taken apart).

Nice thought but if you knew, you'd know why it won't work like that.

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2006, 09:50 PM

No, but I did help someone move a one piece pool table slate. That was NOT fun. I suggest you hire qualified piano movers and save yourself a lot of aggrivation.

Angelo

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2006, 09:53 PM

It's easier to just put it in a truck as a whole unit. I'm not really concerned about the size or the weight - a sufficient number of people can lift it, I'm sure. My question is really one of the delicacy of the piano - can it handle a 20 hour drive in the back of a rental moving truck? Sounds like no is the answer.

It's really not as expensive as I had thought - I'm getting quotes of around $1000. Figure $200 for a plane ticket, $400 for a truck rental, and some food, some gas and a night in a hotel, and I'm not saving much by doing it myself, especially when you factor in the time involved.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2006, 09:56 PM

There are people who specialize in moving pianos. There is a reason why.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by greenG4
I have moved a number of times with two pianos. Do NOT attempt it yourself. Pay the $$ and have professionals do it. It's just not worth the risk.
Any recommended companies?

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
POPEYE AND BLUTO MOVERS

Popeye - A Haul in One
Starring - Popeye the Sailor Man

Another classic Popeye - Olive Oyl is moving so she calls the moving men - Popeye and Bluto. Both men want to woo Olive by demonstrating their moving prowess. Look out for the piano!
Popeye throws the piano out the window from Olive's apartment in a multi story building and he races down several flights of stairs to catch the piano before it falls to the ground.

I'd suggest him, if he's available.

LikeTelevisionâ„¢ Cartoons

Popeye - A Haul in One
(1956) - Color - 7 min
Get Player - RealOne
WATCH IT!
DOWNLOAD IT!

http://tesla.liketelevision.com/like...tv&theme=guide

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2006, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
Ask your local piano dealers for refference. They'll know. Everytime I move it's somebody different and not always chosen by me. (Government paid moves).
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2006, 10:48 PM

if you decide not to go with the professional moving co., it will take at least you & a friend....and no more than a few steps for the walk & entry to the house.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2006, 11:43 PM

A piano is an extremely complex and delicate piece of machinery. You can't just take it apart unless, of course, you're a trained piano technician.

Sure, you can slide the action out, but the frame's all in one piece... and it's gonna stay that way.

Originally Posted by Angelo78
No, but I did help someone move a one piece pool table slate. That was NOT fun.
A piano is way more difficult to move than a pool table...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2006, 12:23 AM

Is everyone taking him seriously? I thought this was supposed to be a joke...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2006, 01:38 AM

Depending on the piano, you are talking 8-900 pounds MINIMUM.

Apart from the risk for the piano, having one of your buddy helpers end up with a crushed foot on a stairwell is something that can happen VERY easily.

FWIW, the truck ride isn't the problem, though the piano needs to be secured to the side to keep it from knocking about - or outright falling over.

And regular (non-specialized) movers can easily **** things over, too.

Get a service to do it.

Once there, let the piano settle for a few weeks/months, and then get it tuned.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2006, 03:34 AM

Definitely involve professionals.

If you decide to do it by yourself with some buddies, then please videotape it, put it on YouTube, and put the link on MacNN, please.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2006, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
Definitely involve professionals.

If you decide to do it by yourself with some buddies, then please videotape it, put it on YouTube, and put the link on MacNN, please.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

dcp325
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2006, 07:10 AM

Hi,

The first time my piano has been moved it was done by a mover service.
They were only with 2 people for the piano which clearly wasn't enough to get it on the truck... (this was not a specialized company)
The second time it was moved I did it myself with a few friends. 4 people to lift the piano and one to open the doors yoou encounter on your way.
We had some extra wheels to put under the piano to move it around in the house because the small wheels under the piano sometimes leave scrathmarks on the floor.

If you need to move it up or down some stairs I would get a specialized mover service for pianos to do it for you.

andi*pandi
Jul 7, 2006, 10:34 AM

I remember my family moving one, it took several big men, a dolly cart, and there weren't any interior stairs to worry about, and the drive was only 2 hours. After moving you'll need to get it tuned. This was an upright piano.

sounds like it won't be much more expensive to hire pros. Good luck. My aunt has an old piano in her garage she's tried to give me, but a) space, and b) refurbishing costs would be prohibitive.

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2006, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
refurbishing costs would be prohibitive.
Yeah, my wife's family also has a 1872 Steinway & Sons grand piano (this is not the one I'm trying to move right now) that has some damage due to years of being in Florida humidity with no AC. It appears that the only way to have it repaired is to ship it to NY. I can't imagine the total cost there - two long trips for a large piano and the repair costs on top of that. It's a gorgeous piano, though.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2006, 09:27 AM

You need to get a reputable moving company to pack it up and crate it, then move it to the new place and uncrate it.

You need to also take out mechanical derangement insurance.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jul 9, 2006, 11:06 AM

Good point about the wheels. I used to run a moving company, and on one move the guys wheeled the upright across the room. The small metals wheels not only made a mark, but made an indented track in the wood floor. Refinishing was a bitch.

The piano needs to be well padded, strapped together with large rubber bands or belts, The belts the movers use are key because it helps them lift the piano when necessary. A four wheeled dolly should suffice for moving it from point a to b. The dollies come with soft or hard rubber wheels. Obviously soft will be easier on the floors, but movers usually have 1/4" thick luanne(sp) sheets to protect the floors.

If it needs to go upstairs the pad the banisters and anything else which may get damaged, floors etc...

You can grunt a while and get it done, but guys who do it for a living will save you a lot of sweat and anxiety, plus you may want to take out insurance on the moving of the piano too.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2006, 11:43 AM

Let someone else's back take the pain. Seriously.

The piano dealer sent three guys around to do the move, and it's not a long-term career.

Forum Links
Forum Rules