Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone & subways

iPhone & subways
zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2007, 02:54 AM

I recently accepted a new position in the Boston, MA area and will be taking the train/subway to work everyday and have been considering an iPhone for some time. I was thinking that this might be a good time to purchase as i would be able to use it on the way into work....but I was wondering if anyone has experience they can share with the iPhone (both voice & data) in a subway/train environment? Any from Boston, specifically? Is reception good enough to be usable?

Thanks!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 08:06 AM

Well, its not the iPhone that is the problem... its AT&T.. I Don't know about Boston, but I know that where I live my service is patchy. I sometimes don't get service in my room which is quite sad. But I would doubt that you would have any service in the subways. Just from experience, I go to Atlanta a lot and have great service, until I ride on MARTA(their train/sub system) but it's only when the train goes underground.

donutogre
Nov 5, 2007, 11:25 AM

hey there,

i live in boston, and while i don't have an iphone/ATT (yet), i can tell you that for the most part, when you're underground there is zero cell reception for all the major carriers as far as i know. there's a couple stations where i can get one bar on verizon, but for the most part if you're underground you will not be able to use your phone.
~nate

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2007, 02:13 PM

In general, a lot of folks complain about reception in general in Boston. Find one of your new co-workers who has AT&T and ask them about the areas you work/live. Boston, L.A. and Chicago all seem to be sore spots for AT&T.

cla214
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by nstehle View Post
In general, a lot of folks complain about reception in general in Boston. Find one of your new co-workers who has AT&T and ask them about the areas you work/live. Boston, L.A. and Chicago all seem to be sore spots for AT&T.
This has not been the case for me, I have always had good reception in Boston. I live in the downtown area, but travel around a good deal, and have been a happy AT&T/Cingular user for the past 6+ years.

As for the subway ('the T' in boston), you're not going to have much luck while underground.

C

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by cla214 View Post
This has not been the case for me, I have always had good reception in Boston. I live in the downtown area, but travel around a good deal, and have been a happy AT&T/Cingular user for the past 6+ years.

As for the subway ('the T' in boston), you're not going to have much luck while underground.

C
That's good to hear. I wonder if Boston/LA/Chicago have so much trouble just because so many are apartment dwellers; ergo, more reception troubles.

philm
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2007, 03:43 PM

A disappointing feature of the iPhone which might be relevant here is that you can't queue a bunch of SMS messages whilst out of range (e.g. in the subway) for them then to be automatically sent when you have a signal. In my experience, most phones will do this but not the iPhone at present.

zanyterp  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2007, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll keep all those things in mind and look at them.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules