Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Moon

Moon
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2009, 10:48 PM

Duncan Jones's (David Bowie's son) movie Moon started yesterday and I went to watch it tonight. A few minutes before the movie was going to start Duncan Jones came into the cinema, said thanks to everyone for watching it, and spoke a little about the movie; which was a pleasant surprise.

There is a trailer on Apple's website along with a clip of the movie.

I really liked the movie and highly recommend it.

I have a few thoughts about the movie:

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 14, 2009, 01:59 AM

looking forward to this.
ice

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2009, 12:54 PM

Finally, a movie that lends some justice to 2010. Arthur C Clarke would be proud.

Can't wait for July.

Tiresias
Jun 17, 2009, 09:37 AM

Hm. Seems kind of familiar.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2009, 09:43 AM

This looks very interesting. It completely slipped under my radar which indicates I'm either becoming senile or my attention span has shortened even more.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2010, 09:36 PM

We just got it from Netflix yesterday and my brother and I were really impressed. An excellent film and especially impressive considering its low budget.

David Bowie should be proud.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2010, 10:01 PM

I found it OK, but annoyingly predictable after about the half-way point.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2010, 10:09 PM

Predictable to a significant extent, yes. But at least it didn't go for any of the cliches that it could have resorted to. Girty wasn't a HAL type - its programming was fully geared to helping Sam even if Sam's intentions deviated from the dictates of the company. The story was clean and so were the effects (and the effects were great for blending visual and CG instead of just full CG) - simply well done.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

andi*pandi
Mar 13, 2010, 11:04 PM

Agreed. I really enjoyed this.

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2010, 02:29 PM

Me too! 2001 meets Solaris, but with a nice twist.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2010, 10:06 AM

Awesome flick. Definitely thought provoking (which is what keeps me awake when watching movies). I personally thought it was unpredictable.

Should have been a contender for movie of the year last year imho.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 15, 2010 at 09:22 PM. )

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2010, 06:42 PM

I thought it was pretty predictable, too, but it was still a solid movie. I appreciated the homage to old skool sci-fi flicks, especially.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2010, 12:54 PM

Saw it in theatres and I liked it. Story wasn't mind blowing and I think you are supposed to know the answer by the half way mark so I am not sure I would have called it predictable.

Looked great.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Saw it in theatres and I liked it. Story wasn't mind blowing and I think you are supposed to know the answer by the half way mark so I am not sure I would have called it predictable.
Maybe you're right.

Not saying it wasn't a good movie, because I did think it was reasonable. But maybe your description is the most accurate - "wasn't mindblowing".

Perhaps it was because of all the hype. I didn't see it until much later and was expecting more. More of what I dunno though.

I guess The Outer Limits type of expected twist kinda rubbed me the wrong way for a hyped up movie.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Not saying it wasn't a good movie, because I did think it was reasonable. But maybe your description is the most accurate - "wasn't mindblowing".
Whenever I have a "non-sci-fi" person watch a movie with a really out there plot like 2001, Solaris or anything too fantastic with mythical reasons they end up not getting it.

I was expecting some weird spiritual or time loop like sci-fi answer so I guess I was happy and disappointed at the same time when the answer was very believable and not too over the top.

SPOILER.... why in the name in hell would the station need that many backup clones when they last over a year. There must have been 200+

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2010, 03:58 PM

Apparently clones were cheap, and the mining was supposed to go on for a very long time. Perhaps the ship was capable of producing clones while on the moon.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 16, 2010, 04:48 PM

Spares. You never know how many you might go through after a major accident. So they stocked ahead.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Apparently clones were cheap, and the mining was supposed to go on for a very long time. Perhaps the ship was capable of producing clones while on the moon.
I think it was just a neat effect.

By the looks of it this ONE company makes most of the worlds energy but they have ONE GUY on payroll and 200 backups cuz it is cheaper and they expire in a year.

They dispatched a shuttle with a crew of 3 just to get the tractor rebooted so how hard or expensive could it be to send another clone.

Even better why use clones at all? I am sure there are lots of people who would do the job for less money than a giant clone factory would cost. 1 Year isn't so bad and if you are fed up hop in the launch tube for a quick ride home. Oh ya, how did he survive that too?

Stupid question. If you are in a box with a tank of O2 to suck on for 3 days will that work? What happens to all the CO2 you breath out without some sort of air processing?

PB2K
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2010, 10:25 PM

djeez what a boring static movie , watched 1/2 now without any excitement.

and the piano music aint that great either. 3/4 now have had enough, sleepytime

4/4

so the director has seen 2001, sunshine, gattaca, silent runnings..

it made me wonder, what if you have sex with your clone? does it classify as masturbation?
( Last edited by PB2K; Mar 17, 2010 at 05:45 AM. )
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2010, 10:41 AM

I wonder if in the future the practices of cloning for financial gain would be common practice ? Had a discussion and playing devils advocate i made the case that it's entirely possible.

Currently geneticists are cataloging the human genome, comparing them with different populations(especially endangered, isolated populations), figuring out what groups are better resistant to what diseases, using that info to engineer drugs, etc...and then patenting that information.

I wonder if one day the judicial system will have to descried whether it is legal or not for a person to sell his DNA the way the original person did in Moon....after all, don't you have the right to sell your DNA ? Then there's the issue of clones....are they the 'same' as the 'original'...souls, personalities, etc..they might look the same, have the same DNA, etc...but is the clone an 'equal' ? hmmmm..... stoner thoughts

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2010, 10:46 AM

Many (naturally existing) DNA sequences have already been patented... unfortunately.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2010, 05:00 PM

I think cloning would equal slavery overnight and be banned.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2010, 10:57 AM

Really ? Im playing devils advocate here......

The 'clone' is a copy, not the original. the memories, etc of a clone are artificial in they 'it' never experienced them. Is the 'clone' equal to the 'original' ? It is a 'man made copy' of a human, so are they the same ? No matter how close we get to 'cloning' an actual human, will it ever be the same as an actual human ? Is it possible that if and when clones come to exist, they will have different rights ?

These questions are similar to the ones that i thought of when i watched that Robin Williams android.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2010, 12:07 PM

A cloned human in biological terms is a human. To oversimplify... Remember that identical twins are just natural clones.

It'd be more of a stretch to make an android legally human IMO.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2010, 06:56 AM

to answer my own question : as a man (XY) you can clone yourself as a woman to get through life's lonely moments, you just double the X chromosome it's far better than having sex with yourself, or a copy of yourself.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2010, 10:48 AM

^^ This is what that double X would look like:

Complete mole

PB2K
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2010, 01:04 PM

Noooo..

sek929