Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > VR

VR
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2016, 11:12 AM

Are we on the threshold of something great and groundbreaking here? Anyone jumping onto this bandwagon?

Oculus Rift: $599 (PC)

HTC Vive: $799 (PC)

PlayStation VR: $399 (PS4)

Many folks at work have Oculus preordered, and people seem to be very excited about the prospects and possibilities.

There seems to be a lot of good launch titles for each system, and they all have pros and cons. For me, all they have to do is get a Rogue Squadron-like game (EVE Valkyrie comes close) and ill throw my money at them!

Cheers

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2016, 11:20 AM

It essentially the cost of a second tv or console so I imagine it's going to be a while yet before it catches on.

P
Mar 16, 2016, 11:31 AM

I was never a first gen hardware type of guy, but in general: If there is something I really want to play, I might. I have a computer that supports it, after all.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2016, 06:18 AM

I might get the Playstation VR because I have a PS4 - for the Oculus and HTC my PC is slightly not powerful enough (i5 & GTX770)!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2016, 10:32 AM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 17, 2016, 12:45 PM

Too bad it's such a shit game. Then again they'll probably do BF5 and I'll freak out

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2016, 05:44 PM

Havent played that game. I'm not that interested in the FPS aspects.

I'm excited about the idea of being able to fly around in an X-Wing in VR, in a Rogue Squadron(action/adventure single-player-campaign) like game.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2016, 11:08 PM

I hear the PS VR is bad, the resolution is jarring and the framerates are poor, due to weak GPU in consoles (this is fixed with the PS4.5?). I've not used it however, because I don't have a PS4 anymore.

I do have a Rift and a Vive though, and my feelings are mixed. The Rift is the most polished and for people who play with more traditional controls, while the Vive is all about its "next-gen" controls and movement sensors, requiring you to have a decent amount of space (and the physical ability to do all that). If you're into hopping around and the like, the Vive will likely be the most interesting. The game distribution systems are an important thing to consider too, the Vive has Steam, the most powerful of them all, while Oculus has a lot of catching up to do there. All that said, if you're a traditional PC gamer, the Rift is it. They have more devs on board and the graphical fidelity is simply better. Eve Valkyrie is incredible and will blow your mind (since you mentioned flight games). Both systems have something bad in common however, they're buggy and the games are sparse and have limited content (a $40 game that lasts 2 hours?).

So unless you have a VR boner that will not die, wait for the 2nd gen hardware. While early adopters are singing praises, VR isn't here yet. Let them deal with all the crazy bugs and QC issues, and be prepared to buy in ~18-24 months. 2018 is the real year for VR gaming.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2016, 10:44 PM

Cheers for the overview. A bunch of colleagues have Rift's coming in so im looking forward to trying it.

"Technically" it sounds like PSVR is the weakest, especially the resolution, which i assume causes the screen door effect. However PSVR seems to have the "business" side going for it..... logistics, global distribution networks, PS4 installed base, AAA developers, etc.... on the other hand how many Sony PS peripherals have been successful? hmmm

I've only tried GearVR and i didn't like the 'tunnel feel' due to the low field-of-views. I expect we will see hardware iterations address these issues. I'll prolly hold off until version 3 if that, depending on the software availability.

I have yet to see a must-have title across any three platforms anyway. And truth be told..... it seems like a "fad" as I doubt the average customer would be interested. (I could be wrong).

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2016, 11:57 PM

I'd mentioned this in the other thread, but I'll reiterate here. I did get to try the PSVR, and the video quality is so poor (the "screen door" effect you mentioned, as well as poor frame rates) it's jarring, I couldn't imagine sitting for hours playing a game on it. The one area where they couldn't skimp was where they did it the most. I think both the Rift and Vive are barely in the realm of satisfying visuals. There's a generous amount of room for improvement, as in all things in early release, but they have solid, capable hardware at their core. The Sony VR? Not in the same league. While they perform more like professional equipment, it's more Hasbro.

P
Apr 19, 2016, 07:20 AM

More rumors about an updated PS4 coming, including some rather detailed specs (basically twice the GPU power, slightly higher clocks, but constrained by memory bandwidth), which might be intended to correct this sort of thing. The rumored specs are very close to the performance of the Radeon 290, the typical minimum VR requirements card, which is unlikely to be a coincidence.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2016, 01:53 AM

Given the low res of the PSVR, it should be fine.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2016, 09:31 AM

So, I tried out the Rift at a friend's place. Played a 'defender' like game and some sort of rhythm game

Underwhelming. The experience was fine, the rift was comfortable enough, the 'graphics' were fine, but the "language" of VR is still very much in its infancy, and the games i tried were pretty meh.

VR really needs a 'must have', and there isn't one yet. Alien Isolation looks promising.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2016, 12:59 AM

Eve Valkyrie

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 23, 2016, 02:42 PM

Why is Oculus being a dick about Vive users being able to play its games?

P
May 23, 2016, 03:04 PM

Because Facebook, probably.

OK so there might be a connection to a recent update that the hack made that be construed as circumventing DRM, but that is an excuse. They have some exclusives they don't want others to have access to.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 23, 2016, 03:17 PM

Well if there's anything a nice Che technology trying to get off the ground needs, it's exclusive experiences.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2016, 05:10 PM

Because Schmuckerberg, and by extension Facebook, is an a$$hole. The Oculus guys seem pretty unhappy about that, they wanted a more open platform because it builds community.

reeses
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2016, 10:03 AM

Anyone actually tried a VR headset? They look dope, but I've heard lots of people get motion sickness!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2016, 10:08 PM

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2016, 08:25 AM

Ordered a cardboard headset in the Amazon sale yesterday, being delivered tomorrow. Should be a bit of fun as a tester.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2016, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Ordered a cardboard headset in the Amazon sale yesterday, being delivered tomorrow. Should be a bit of fun as a tester.
What kind of smartphone do you have?
I also wanted to buy one for testing but I'm not sure if my iPhone6 with the 4.7" screen is the right smartphone for this.
I tried a Samsung Gear VR with a S7 a while ago and the experience was pretty crappy! Resolution was terrible but field of view and VR effect were great.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2016, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
What kind of smartphone do you have?
I also wanted to buy one for testing but I'm not sure if my iPhone6 with the 4.7" screen is the right smartphone for this.
I tried a Samsung Gear VR with a S7 a while ago and the experience was pretty crappy! Resolution was terrible but field of view and VR effect were great.
Oneplus One, 5.5" 1080 screen.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2016, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Oneplus One, 5.5" 1080 screen.
Yes, that sounds like a better screen for VR than 4.7".
Any test results yet?

Forum Links
Forum Rules