Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Brothers in Arms for iPhone/iTouch = Awesome

Brothers in Arms for iPhone/iTouch = Awesome
gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2008, 07:12 PM

For you iPhone owners out there looking for a legitimate shooter: this is it. If you haven't tried it and are wondering if it is worth the ten dollars: it is. It's a full-blown 3rd person shooter with great graphics and better control then some of the reviews out there are saying (not perfect, but pretty good and don't distract from the game imho).

Granted, I'm a pretty big fan of the WWII shooter genre so this is right up my alley, but this looks like one of the first big leaps in what gaming on an iPhone/iTouch platform means. It's not the only great game for these units, of course, but it's one of the first ones that have made me envision a world where dedicated mobile gaming platforms (PSP/DS...etc.) are rendered obsolete.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2008, 10:54 PM

The reviews on the App Store and the one on IGN said the controls were terrible.

I know people love to complain though. How bad are they really?
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2008, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
The reviews on the App Store and the one on IGN said the controls were terrible.

I know people love to complain though. How bad are they really?
Well I certainly won't say that it compares to having a real controller in your hand (or keyboard/mouse for that matter) but considering that there are no physical buttons to map it's nearly as good as I can imagine it getting.

There are a few different control schemes to chose from but the one I find the most intuitive and easy to use is a slight mod of the default, whereby you use a virtual thumbstick on the bottom left side of the screen to control most movement and swipe across any open portion of the screen to look from side to side. I've turned on the motion detection so that physically tilting the device will move you left or right (and move left/right when behind cover. I've also found that turning the sensitivity all the way up really improved gameplay as it means much less swiping back and forth (all the way up, one comfortable swipe turns the field of view about 180 degrees. There are virtual buttons for firing your weapon and special actions that pop up on the right side of the screen when appropriate.

I'm really not sure what people are complaining about. If they're complaining about the control it could be that what they are really complaining about is simply not having physical buttons on their iPhone/iTouch, in which case they should just go and buy a PSP or something instead of spending money on games in the App Store. Overall it's quite good - the gameplay is pretty smooth (it does get a bit jerky at times, but nothing significant) and the action is frenetic.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2008, 12:49 AM

Awesome. Another purchase for my iPod touch

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2008, 01:04 AM

hmm.... I just got to the level with the jeep and can't seem to figure out how to use the steering wheel. I probably just have a key portion of my brain shut off, though.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2008, 04:09 AM

I figured that out. Me being a dunce wasn't trying to steer with the accelerometer controls! That said, I do have to admit that driving the jeep is a pain in the ass - I don't know why it would need to be so much harder to control then the rest of the game but it is.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2008, 11:33 PM

They put heavy emphasis on the driving having ridiculous controls. Said something about constantly running in to buildings. The tank they say is easier, because its slower...

Rumor
Dec 8, 2008, 04:02 AM

What's going on? I fell asleep at at out....
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2008, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
What's going on? I fell asleep at at out....
What's going on is that I was just reminded why one shouldn't post a game review without completing the majority of it first. The jeep driving controls do suck in this one. Luckily that part of the game is brief so far and the rest of it is still very enjoyable. Still worth the ten bucks in my opinion.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 8, 2008, 11:55 AM

4-stars for a game is pretty good. Actually 4-stars for a any app is pretty good. And there are 293 reviews in so far.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2008, 06:02 PM

How's the replay factor? Am I going to beat the story mode in an hour and be bored of the game? (ie Bomberman...)

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2008, 02:41 AM

looks pretty sweet, I might try it
Bow chicka bow-wow

Forum Links
Forum Rules