Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iLife 11 Macbook Air licencing issue/question

iLife 11 Macbook Air licencing issue/question
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2011, 06:45 AM

I seek the wisdom of MacNNers...

Quick question:

I bought a Macbook Air 13" a month ago. I set it up and registered it under my AppleID. I downloaded iPhoto, Garageband, iMovie from the Appstore as they were not on the machine by default.

I realised that I should hav followed my heart when I bought the MBA13", and gone for the MBA 11". As such, I have sold the 13" to a colleague and ordered the 11" of my dreams.

To this point, things all went swimmingly - until:

My colleague reinstalls OS X 10.7 to the machine, sees the iApps, but can't use them as he is told that they are registered to me!

I am assuming that as the iApps are no longer included on the HDD of the machine, and provided for free only to the AppleID of the person that first registered the machine? Please tell me that this isn't correct! If so, for me this is a really underhanded change.

So, I don't particularly want to end up buying another copy of iLife for my colleague, and have another copy registered to me when my new machine turns up - which leads to my question.

Is there anything to stop me entering his details as the first AppleID on the new machine, downloading the Apps to his account, then re-entering my details and using the licence for the first copies? In theory, we both end up with the correct licences, albeit gaining them via different machines than the ones we end up with...

Or, is this not possible, with the licences linked to individual machines?

Any help appreciated!

TPC

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2011, 12:38 PM

The registration is irrelevant. The apps are tied to your Apple ID.

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The registration is irrelevant. The apps are tied to your Apple ID.
Ok, so in indirect answer to my question, if my colleague logs in first with his AppleID, he gets the licenses? Job done.

I guess OS X rests with the machine though?

Forum Links
Forum Rules