Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Sarah Palin signs on as a commentator with Fox News

Sarah Palin signs on as a commentator with Fox News
Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2010, 09:36 PM

Former Governor of Alaska Sarah Palin has signed to be a contributor on the Fox News Channel, her lawyer has said.

I LOL at this line:

I am thrilled to be joining the great talent and management team at Fox News," Mrs Palin said in a statement on the network's website.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2010, 09:46 PM

Instead of a publicist or agent, she has a lawyer speaking for her on her behalf?

She needs legal representation in case she is violating some law?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Instead of a publicist or agent, she has a lawyer speaking for her on her behalf? She needs legal representation in case she is violating some law?
Lawyers, agents, PR firms... they commonly make announcements when deals are finalized.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
I LOL at this line:

"I am thrilled to be joining the great talent and management team at Fox News," Mrs Palin said in a statement on the network's website."
What's funny about that? Last I checked, Fox News handily beats all competition. Large organizations don't become dominant without skilled talent and management.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2010, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
What's funny about that? Last I checked, Fox News handily beats all competition. Large organizations don't become dominant without skilled talent and management.
Comedy gold! Do you mean large organizations like CitiBank, which has fleeced the taxpayers out of billions, or large organizations like General Motors, who watched dumbly while the Japanese produced a better product, for decades, before they went to the government trough and took our money. I do have to hand it to Fox News however; they have a ready made audience, in the peopleofwalmart.com. Obviously you equate ratings with intelligence. Priceless.

Andy8  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2010, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Obviously you equate ratings with intelligence. Priceless.
Exactly.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2010, 11:19 PM

Large organizations don't become dominant without skilled talent and management.
Like, uhm, the US government ?

-t

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2010, 02:58 AM

Comedy gold! Do you mean large organizations like CitiBank, which has fleeced the taxpayers out of billions, or large organizations like General Motors, who watched dumbly while the Japanese produced a better product, for decades, before they went to the government trough and took our money. I do have to hand it to Fox News however; they have a ready made audience, in the peopleofwalmart.com. Obviously you equate ratings with intelligence. Priceless.
And to further your point....the federal government?

Gee, hmm, no way!

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2010, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

-t
damn beat me to it.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2010, 07:05 AM

Its actually the smartest move she's made yet. Why the hell not cozy up to Fox and get access to their core audience? Hell, its a GOP Caucus 365 days a year.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker View Post
Its actually the smartest move she's made yet. Why the hell not cozy up to Fox and get access to their core audience? Hell, its a GOP Caucus 365 days a year.
How do Independents get their news? Fox News penetrates all demographics and is head and shoulders above the other network news ratings. Fox News isn't successful because they were propped up in some artificial fashion like Citibank and/or GM. They are successful because they enjoy more viewers. Period.

The reasoning here seems to be: If you feature conservatives, you're a conservative news outlet and shill for the GOP. If you feature liberals... well, you're better than Fox News and we'll leave you alone.

Does not compute.
ebuddy

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2010, 08:02 AM

Fox News Roger Ailes the 'most successful news executive of last 10 years - NYTimes.com

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2010, 08:04 AM

I hope Sarah Palin is so successful in her Fox News endeavor that the thought of running for office becomes less and less important to her. As in, there's no way she'll run for President.
ebuddy

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
How do Independents get their news? Fox News penetrates all demographics and is head and shoulders above the other network news ratings. Fox News isn't successful because they were propped up in some artificial fashion like Citibank and/or GM. They are successful because they enjoy more viewers. Period.

The reasoning here seems to be: If you feature conservatives, you're a conservative news outlet and shill for the GOP. If you feature liberals... well, you're better than Fox News and we'll leave you alone.

Does not compute.
You'll notice I said "core audience". I realize some independents might watch Fox News, but I doubt that Sarah Palin is making a bold career move so that she'll have an open forum to independents. I wasn't Fox bashing. They are very good at tailoring their content to find audiences and I realize they have some variety in their offerings. That's just smart TV.

But let's not pretend that this is the start of Palin's bold move to the center of American politics. The only reason she became a national candidate was to energize parts of the GOP base that were not warming up to The Maverick. She spent her time in the limelight dishing out plenty of Red Meat to exactly those people and I don't think she was faking it. That's who she is and that's who she appeals to. I think its safe to say she'll be doing more of the same, but now with a much more polished team. She got here by shouting "Death Panels", she's not about to become Jim Lehrer.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2010, 10:00 AM

He's obviously been successful at hooking gullible people like you. It's funny how that liberal rag, the NYT, can be used as support when you need it, isn't it?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2010, 10:16 AM

I'm happy for her. I think being a professional entertainer will suit her just fine and, hey, I might even watch.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I'm happy for her. I think being a professional entertainer will suit her just fine and, hey, I might even watch.
The problem with that is, as Americans get dumber and dumber (and it is happening, being pushed by large corporations who hook the gullible), too many don't view that as entertainment. They view what people like her spew as fact.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2010, 11:13 AM

The problem with that is, as Americans get dumber and dumber (and it is happening, being pushed by large corporations who hook the gullible), too many don't view that as entertainment. They view what people like her spew as fact.
I think this is one of those issues for which there isn't a supply side solution, not without seriously compromising our open society. If people want to believe "Death Panel" nonsense, there is no fix for that. After all, the facts were readily available and widely broadcast. People believe what they want.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I hope Sarah Palin is so successful in her Fox News endeavor that the thought of running for office becomes less and less important to her. As in, there's no way she'll run for President.
Limbaugh has said he has more impact from behind the "Golden EIB Mic" than he would if he was in office. Perhaps, in the months running up to the 2010 mid-term elections, she will have the same impact Limbaugh did in the 1994 mid-terms.
45/47

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Limbaugh has said he has more impact from behind the "Golden EIB Mic" than he would if he was in office. Perhaps, in the months running up to the 2010 mid-term elections, she will have the same impact Limbaugh did in the 1994 mid-terms.
Since the woman is vile poison, I hope for the Republicans' sake that isn't so.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2010, 11:57 AM

In a related story, John Stewart climaxes multiple times.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2010, 02:14 PM

I don't think any intelligent independents would watch any major entertainment news outlet.

I know I don't, and even then I can see, without any liberal bias, that Fox News is head and shoulders above the rest in sensationalism and fear mongering. The only talking heads that anyone knows from Fox News are opinion anchors like Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, and Sean Hannity.

Fox News has certainly become very successful in the post-9/11 era by preying on people's innermost desires and fears, without very much substance.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2010, 02:23 PM

This will be the first time since the Couric interview that she'll be in a position where she's actually required to think on her feet and voice her own opinions rather than those of her handlers.

I predict that this will be a huge win for FOX, and that it will utterly destroy Palin's career.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2010, 02:37 PM

Don't they have writers at Fox News?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2010, 02:42 PM

They certainly have teleprompters!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
This will be the first time since the Couric interview that she'll be in a position where she's actually required to think on her feet and voice her own opinions rather than those of her handlers.

I predict that this will be a huge win for FOX, and that it will utterly destroy Palin's career.

It depends on whether she will be cheerleading on the back of some existing point, or debating somebody with a differing viewpoint. She's pretty good at rhetoric, not so good at actual substance.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2010, 10:23 PM

They certainly have teleprompters!
Then there's hope for Obama in 2012 if he's interested in a career in broadcasting!

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2010, 12:30 AM

... I do have to hand it to Fox News however; they have a ready made audience, in the peopleofwalmart.com. Obviously you equate ratings with intelligence. Priceless.
Only fools think that the top media outlets don't have skilled management and talent.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2010, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
As a nation, we didn't become a leader by chance. Same with political leaders. We may not like their work, but they are skilled (at the very least) at getting elected (which usually involves mass communications, public speaking, knowledge of issues, runing a staff, branding, etc.).

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2010, 12:37 AM

As a nation, we didn't become a leader by chance. Same with political leaders. We may not like their work, but they are skilled (at the very least) at getting elected (which usually involves mass communications, public speaking, knowledge of issues, runing a staff, branding, etc.).
So they're skilled at fooling people. You need to adopt higher standards.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2010, 12:47 AM

So they're skilled at fooling people. You need to adopt higher standards.
I'll tell you who's not skilled: people who have to hurl insults and nasty comments because they have no substance behind their positions. These folks are truly the ones who are intellectually bankrupt.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2010, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
Then there's hope for Obama in 2012 if he's interested in a career in broadcasting!
I don't think America is ready for a secret Muslim anchor.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2010, 02:07 AM

I don't think America is ready for a secret Muslim anchor.
Yeah, the teleprompters aren't programmed for arabic languages yet....and you'd need all new speech writers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules