Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > anyone hear of bibit?

anyone hear of bibit?
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2009, 08:58 PM

I had American Express call me (and emailed me) about a possible fraudulent charge, from bibit. Since I never even heard of them, I told them it was fraud. I've since cancelled the card but googling bibit and fraud seems to indicate this has occured before on some american express card holders.
~Mike

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2009, 11:10 PM

Never heard of it. Never had a charge from them.

How would they get your Amex card number and exp. date ?

-t

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2009, 08:11 AM

That's my question as well. I've looked over my other credit cards and no activity yet. I'm probably going to call the credit bureaus today and put a fraud alert. The amount is small, small enough to be easily missed, it was only 39 dollars. I'm extremely grateful for american express to call me on this but I'm now going to keep an even closer eye on my statements.
~Mike

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2009, 08:24 AM

bibit is like ccbill.

chances are, you bought something from company X and didn't read the fine print: "the charge on your credit card will appear from bibit"

a lot of shareware sites and smaller yahoo stores, for example, use these processing companies.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2009, 08:27 AM

No, I've not bought or charged anything on the internet for quite a while and in fact the last time I used my american express was only to buy some stuff at cost co a couple of weeks ago.

I paid off that credit card a while ago, so I avoid using it, since I don't want the balance to creep up which is why Im 100% its fraudulent.
~Mike

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
No, I've not bought or charged anything on the internet for quite a while and in fact the last time I used my american express was only to buy some stuff at cost co a couple of weeks ago.

I paid off that credit card a while ago, so I avoid using it, since I don't want the balance to creep up which is why Im 100% its fraudulent.
i'm simply answering with bibit is; i don't need your credit card use policy

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2009, 09:04 AM

Understood, I never heard of them and it looks like they're a european company which further confirms the fact that I never bought anything from them or any company that uses them since I haven't purchased software or a product from outside of the US.
~Mike

twhit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2010, 03:35 PM

same thing happened to me American Express Blue Card/AMEX for $39 for BIBIT. they reversed it the same day, but i wasn't happy with only that answer. i haven't used the card in over a year and asked how it was compromised, they didn't have an answer. i told them to find one, they didn't. they did tell me BIBIT charge was for an international dating site...i told them it was interesting that every time i call AMEX i get INDIA...and asked if the information there was compromises...they guy stammered and said it could have been a vendor...i told him i hadn't used the card in over a year and he couldn't answer...interesting. outsourcing is most likely the cause.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2010, 03:47 PM

Disputing charges with Amex is so painless, I never had a problem with them not reversing a bad charge.

Amex FTW.

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2010, 04:13 PM

Do a search on your mail for bibit, and see if like stated above, something was charged through them.

I never heard of them until now, but I've had instances where I went "what's THIS?" and it turns out it was some third party pay site.

EDIT: Read where you haven't used that card for a while. Ok, nm then.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by twhit View Post
same thing happened to me American Express Blue Card/AMEX for $39 for BIBIT. they reversed it the same day, but i wasn't happy with only that answer. i haven't used the card in over a year and asked how it was compromised, they didn't have an answer. i told them to find one, they didn't. they did tell me BIBIT charge was for an international dating site...i told them it was interesting that every time i call AMEX i get INDIA...and asked if the information there was compromises...they guy stammered and said it could have been a vendor...i told him i hadn't used the card in over a year and he couldn't answer...interesting. outsourcing is most likely the cause.
Relax.
Having a credit card number 'compromised' is a non-issue. The cc company will remove the fake charges and issue a new card number if necessary.
You didn't need to grill the amex rep for answers because it doesn't really matter how the fake charges got there - amex will remove them.

You act like that string of cc numbers is the ****ing crown jewels or something. It's not.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by tightsocks View Post
Relax.
Having a credit card number 'compromised' is a non-issue. The cc company will remove the fake charges and issue a new card number if necessary.
Oh, sir, you know not what you speak. It depends on what the number is used FOR.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
I'm probably going to call the credit bureaus today and put a fraud alert. .
Fraud alerts are for when your identity (ie. SSN, mothers maiden name, etc) have been stolen and used to open new accounts which then show-up on your credit report.

Having a fake charge on an amex card is not an indication that your SSN or identity has been stolen or used to establish credit accounts without your knowledge.

A fraud alert with the credit bureaus will not stop fake charges to your existing credit cards. It is designed to prevent new accounts from being opened.

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Oh, sir, you know not what you speak. It depends on what the number is used FOR.
Please elaborate.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by tightsocks View Post
Fraud alerts are for when your identity (ie. SSN, mothers maiden name, etc) have been stolen and used to open new accounts which then show-up on your credit report.

Having a fake charge on an amex card is not an indication that your SSN or identity has been stolen or used to establish credit accounts without your knowledge.

A fraud alert with the credit bureaus will not stop fake charges to your existing credit cards. It is designed to prevent new accounts from being opened.
You got it right

-t

Compromised
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2010, 11:06 PM

I also got a call from my American Express Card that my card had been compromised by a Company named Bibit. I did some searches on this company and they are partnered with PayPal. I realize they probably are associated with many other places. I had just opened a paypal account for ebay, using my America Express Card. I was charged the right price for what I purchased on ebay thru paypal. Then a charge came from a Bibit company about 1 week later. I'm not saying paypal is at fault, but just something to think about with paypal and your credit card. I learned a lesson here and will never use a credit card for any online things.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2010, 12:27 AM

You will never use a credit card for anything online? Wow, that's a bit of an overkill. I have purchased hundreds of things online over the last 14 years, and I have only had a problem once. When it happened, the credit card company called me up, and it was taken care of within a day or so. Using your credit card online is very safe... your credit card company has a bunch of policies that protect you from fraud. Now using a debit card online, well, that's a different story.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2010, 02:49 AM

Using a debit card online is essentially no different than using a credit card online because you're using the debit card as a credit card. It would be a different story if you had to give your debit card pin with your number, but you don't.

Online shopping with trusted sites is safer than many other types of shopping we do. Think about it. It's safer than giving your credit card by phone or fax. And what about checks? With a check you've got your full account number, your bank details, your name, likely your address and also your signature. That's a lot of information right there! But people don't have an irrational fear of checks, do they?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2010, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Using a debit card online is essentially no different than using a credit card online because you're using the debit card as a credit card. It would be a different story if you had to give your debit card pin with your number, but you don't.
This is not entirely true. The damage limit on a debit card is $500 (vs $50 for credit) if the item is reported 2-60 days after the fraudulent charge has occurred. It also generally requires much more proof that the charges were not your own, and you can't put a hold on a payment like you can with a credit card. Even if you eventually get all of your money back (minus $500), if someone drains $5000 out of your checking account, you are out of that $5000, which could result in many overdraft charges from automatic debits, etc. This is especially bad if you don't also have a credit card to fall back on... basically you would have no money whatsoever until your bank decides to work everything out and re-credit your account.

Don't use debit cards online, unless you have to.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2010, 03:30 AM

Good points, but your general advice not to use debit cards online if you can help it should really read "don't use debit cards at all, unless you have to." If debit cards are more dangerous to use online, they're even more dangerous when used offline.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Compromised
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2010, 03:03 PM

"Never use my credit card online again" OK you're right it was a overkill. I had never had that happened to me before and it scared me. The person that started this thread was talking about Bibit. I thought I'd tell what happened to me with the company. American Express UPS'd "next day" delivery and I got a new card today. Nice service. What is your advice on enrolling in credit cards Protection with fees per year? Also - do you sign the back of your cards? I was given a hint once to write not my name, but to write "See ID"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
What is your advice on enrolling in credit cards Protection with fees per year?
Any protection plans are BS and rip offs.

Your card is already protected - you are not liable for any charges that you didn't authorize.
It's up to the vendor to prove that you authorized the order. If they can't, you can dispute the charge with Amex (or whoever) and get the charge taken off your bill.

Also - do you sign the back of your cards? I was given a hint once to write not my name, but to write "See ID"
You need to.

Technically, the merchant does NOT have to accept cards that are NOT signed, or that say "See ID".
Should you sign your credit card or write 'See ID' on it

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2010, 04:04 PM

I think the protection plan he's referring to is that balance payment protection plan all the card vendors like to push - pay a monthly fee in case you lose your job, get sick, etc. and can't afford to pay your bill. They seem like a rip off to me too.

Compromised
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2010, 04:25 PM

Thank you Turtle - interesting about the "See ID" I'll read that article carefully.

And Big Mac - I was referring to a Protection plan on the credit card. Reimbused any fraud charges on all cards up to $5,000 per loss - and up to $25,000 per members, and passport replacememt assistance while traveling. Things like that. And I'm a she

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2010, 04:29 PM

Ah, sorry about that. Okay, yeah that's definitely a ripoff then since AMEX should have a $0 fraud liability policy.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2010, 05:29 PM

And Big Mac - I was referring to a Protection plan on the credit card. Reimbused any fraud charges on all cards up to $5,000 per loss - and up to $25,000 per members, and passport replacememt assistance while traveling. Things like that. And I'm a she
Yes, the Amex Protection plan.

Not worth the money.
Fraud charges are covered with any credit card.

The Amex protection is really more of a "loss of documents" plan. They help you to get new cards and a new passport should it get lost.

-t

david sequeira fdic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2010, 03:12 PM

I just received a bill from Amex and had the same thing. A charge from BIBIT INTERNET PAYMENTS. I made no charges and have never heard of this company.
david sequeira fdic

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2010, 04:22 PM

At least you're insured up to $250,000.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by david sequeira fdic View Post
I just received a bill from Amex and had the same thing. A charge from BIBIT INTERNET PAYMENTS. I made no charges and have never heard of this company.
david sequeira fdic
I, for one, am thankful you registered on this site and bumped a thread that is 5 months old to everyone on MacNN know this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules