Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Build your own Mac?

Build your own Mac?
Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2009, 10:59 AM

Hey all I've got the hardware tweaking bug lately after converting my old 12 inch PB into a media center using AirMouse on the iPhone as a remote. Anyway, I was wondering now I dono if we're able to talk about OSx86 or whatever the hacked version of OS X is being called these days, but has anyone tried building their own Mac? I wouldn't stop buying Apple products of course, my main machine would always be an honest Mac (since who wants to risk their machine going down because you accidentally did a software update?) I'd just like to be able to build a reasonably powered Mac mini tower, somewhere above the mini but certainly not needing a Mac Pro, and paying for the built in monitor seems silly since it'd probably be hooked to a TV.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2009, 09:27 PM

Just go to the OSx86 project wiki and see what hardware is known to be compatible. That's your best bet.

I'm also not 100% convinced that updates will break everything - AFAIK, the hacked part is bypassing the TPM module to install it. Once it's installed, does Apple know it's bootleg?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

TheConstantEvolution
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2009, 03:58 PM

i doubt it. i've been using a copy of tiger my friend for me, so far its been installed on 5 macs, nothing yet
fanboys go berserk if their mac isnt pristine...mine are all scratched, battered and modded. stock sucks :D

Forum Links
Forum Rules