Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > first few hours with my new macbook.. my initial impressions.

first few hours with my new macbook.. my initial impressions.
flukewurm
Jun 16, 2006, 03:14 AM

i ordered mine via amazon. 1.83ghz model. it is perfect.

after spending a few hours with it today it dawned upon me that it looks like something out of thx1138. i didnt quite catch that from pics on the web.. a plus for sure.

the screen seems a little washed out. picking the non-default gamma option helped a tad. its brighter than my 1ghz powerbook. and somehow it is definitely crisper. its weird. im sure its just something ill have to get used to.

i also noticed the sharp edges after not so many mintues using it. when your palms rest on the palmrest and your wrists hang off the edge of the notebook the edges will leave marks in your skin. my biggest *grunt* so far.

as far as noise i had been trying to pay attention to get an idea of what so many people might be bitching about. i did hear it moo. 2x right in a row. i had never heard what it sounded like before and i kind of chuckled when it happened. its no big deal at all. the people who are making this an issue kind of need to get a grip. this notebook makes less noise overall than my 1ghz powerbook. the combo drive is HELLA noisy though. it sure as **** lets you know when its doing its job.

i installed ableton live and reaktor (and a few of my other favorite softsynths/plugins) and put it through its paces in xp (reaktor wont even run in rosetta).. so lovely. i notice its not quite as powerful as my athlon 2500+ desktop, though not by much... and that will surely change as soon as ableton offers dual processor support. still SUCH a boost over my 1ghz powerbook. like night and day.

2gb RAM from omnitechnologies is on order.

so far this macbook is meeting my expectations with ease.
( Last edited by flukewurm; Jun 16, 2006 at 03:23 AM. )

wilsonng
Senior User
Jun 16, 2006, 03:45 AM

you're a lucky fella.... I gotta go on vacation and budget my money for the trip with the wife and kid.

Hopefully, I'll have enough left over to "accidentally" pick up a MacBook as a vacation souvenir.....

I can't wait for my first time with a MacBook....
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

ael719
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2006, 04:31 AM

You should probably buy it at a local Apple Store. It will be easier to deal with in case you have any problems.

But yeah, I love my MacBook! It brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

Forum Links
Forum Rules