Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook burnt my hand twice!

Macbook burnt my hand twice!
hatim
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 01:21 PM

Its getting ridiclously hot. Touching it after using it for 25, 30 mins is causing burns. The temps go to 90C at full load but even below that the bottom gets too hot to touch. Can't keep it on my lap for more than 10 mins. Gets too hot.

I know there have been many complains about this but Im wondering if I can do anything to undercock it. Fix the CPU cores at a max of 1.33GHZ. Comfort > heat for me. I would definately consideer this a manafactuing fault. Ill take it to my apple store and ask for a replacement. What are the chances they will give me one? Should this me a manafacturing fault now that the newer revisions are working much cooler?

Otherwise, I guess Ill have to sell it off probably. Its too hot to use as a laptop. Better to get a mac mini or even an old ibook.

hatim

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2006, 01:26 PM

Your question about underclocking reminds me, is there anything like Notebook Hardware Control for OSX/x86?

masugu
Senior User
Jun 26, 2006, 01:30 PM

So does anybody know if an upgrade down the wire from Apple can fix this??? Would the fix just be the fans coming on sooner????
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 01:32 PM

Get a replacement - there is no way it should be physically burning you. If you can infact proove the laptop burnt you, then I seriously thing you have a good case to sue Apple...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

kaido
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 02:25 PM

Yikes! I upgraded my Mini to a 2ghz and it never gets above 84C Definately waiting for Apple to fix the MacBooks before I buy one!

hatim  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 08:47 PM

It maybe my skin is sensitive and the weather is extrememly hot (40C) but it should it no way be burning me. Ill take it to the apple store. thnks.

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Get a replacement - there is no way it should be physically burning you. If you can infact proove the laptop burnt you, then I seriously thing you have a good case to sue Apple...
This is ridiculous. The fact that the computer runs hot and could potentially burn you is documented by Apple :

"Do not leave the bottom of the computer in contact with your lap or any surface of your body for extended periods. Prolonged contact with your body could cause discomfort and potentially a burn."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30612

As far as I am concerned, my macbook (black) runs hot, the bottom gets very hot when plugged to the charger but I don't mind, even when it stays on my lap.

Now I understand it can be a problem for certain persons ...
S k y p a t

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2006, 01:10 PM

Pfft. I got my MacBook to it's hottest, about 80-90c, touched the bottom, and it hardly burned my hand. Maybe if I left my hand under there for an hour or two it would have burned me.

Stupid thread.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2006, 01:22 PM

Burnt your hand twice?

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jun 27, 2006, 01:39 PM

I will absolutely not believe this until i see burn marks on a hand.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

hatim  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2006, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX
I will absolutely not believe this until i see burn marks on a hand.
obviously I dont have burn marks. The burns are minor. My reflexes are smart enough to move my hand away when the get burned. On the other hand, Ive been running BOINC for 3 hrs and no crashes or lock ups. Im thinking of running it for 24hrs to see if it really is stable. 90C-92C. The bottom is too hot too touch. Guess if they wont take it back, this will be good as a portable computer with a screen. I can use it on my 21" CRT and tak it when Im out of town.

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2006, 09:06 AM

Mine almost never gets over 65.

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2006, 02:27 PM

My wife's new MacBook (2.0GHz/1GB) gets pretty hot, but never actually too hot to touch. I wouldn't want it in my lap for a long period, but we knew that before we got it. If yours is burning you, maybe you should see if Apple will replace it under warranty.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2006, 02:47 PM

well, you just said that ambient temperature was 40c? that's so hot that it's not surprising that your laptop is very hot.

air cooling systems run hotter if the air temp is hotter. duh!

i would also be surprised if apple says you can run a macbook in a room that's over 40c.

just no way.

azncreazion
Jun 28, 2006, 10:30 PM

I am only running Safari and Mail...... my macbook is currently at 98.6 F

I went to the Apple Store earlier today.... and I asked if it was normal if it was always hot. They told me to get a measure of degrees of the macbook. I asked where to get a application to do that, and they told me that you use the Weather Widget. What a bunch of comedians!

Has anyone tried to get a replacement because of the heat yet?

flukewurm
Jun 28, 2006, 10:33 PM

somebody call the WAAAAAAAAHHHHmbulance...

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2006, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by azncreazion
I am only running Safari and Mail...... my macbook is currently at 98.6 F

I went to the Apple Store earlier today.... and I asked if it was normal if it was always hot. They told me to get a measure of degrees of the macbook. I asked where to get a application to do that, and they told me that you use the Weather Widget. What a bunch of comedians!

Has anyone tried to get a replacement because of the heat yet?
I can't believe that temp reading is accurate, perhaps its 98F (36C) during the 1st 15-20 mins of use, but after that I'd be very surprised if it wasn't above 50C. ...'asked if it was always that hot'- you call that hot?!

And yes, I got a replacement due to heat.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

joel_v
Jun 29, 2006, 07:02 AM

breaking news guys:

today i burnt my hands 3 times, because my macbook was running so hot, it was on fire.

nah serious now.. i was using my macbook on my lap for about an hour, and it did get hot. i put my hand on the bottom and it was hot enough to burn. luckily for me i use my macbook on my desk most of the time.

also that person who posted about sueing apple before ^^^... are u serious, far out. what has this world come to. people will do anything to get money.
also apple has made a warning about this issue so they are safe from people trying to sue them.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by joel_v
i put my hand on the bottom and it was hot enough to burn.
What does that mean? In my book, if you 'burned your hand' you have blisters. I highly doubt you mean that. Maybe you mean it was so hot that you didn't feel comfortable keeping your hand there. That I would understand, but I'm almost certain you didn't get a blister just by touching the bottom of your MB.

joel_v
Jun 29, 2006, 09:05 AM

what i mean by burn is, i was able to hold my hand on the bottom for about 2 seconds, thats it. it was too hot for me to leave my hand there any longer.

its obviously not going to leave blisters, because its not an open flame.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 10:42 AM

its obviously not going to leave blisters, because its not an open flame it didn't actually burn me.
Fixed that for ya.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

hatim  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2006, 10:47 AM

40C-55C ambient temps are common where I am. If I can't run it, too bad

Atleast it has never crashed.

joel_v
Jun 29, 2006, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82
its obviously not going to leave blisters, because its not an open flame.
its obviously not going to leave blisters, because its not an open flame it didn't actually burn me.

Fixed that for ya.
haha.. nice mate.. that is the truth.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2006, 11:41 AM

So we agree that the MB doesn't burn squat and when people say 'yikes it burned me!!!!OMGWTF' they are just exaggerating to attract attention. In reality it just gets hot to the point where it's not comfortable to leave your hand on its bottom. Right? Bingo. Exactly what Apple has said from day one.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30612-en

Thanks. This show is now over. And no, there will be no refunds.

azncreazion
Jun 29, 2006, 03:59 PM

Your right, I left my macbook on my desk for around an hour and it evened out at around 91 F

j0nkatz
Jun 29, 2006, 04:41 PM

Here is mine. It's running a little too hot also...

rhashem
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by freakboy2
well, you just said that ambient temperature was 40c? that's so hot that it's not surprising that your laptop is very hot.

air cooling systems run hotter if the air temp is hotter. duh!

i would also be surprised if apple says you can run a macbook in a room that's over 40c.

just no way.
Yep. Air cooling systems are usually rated in terms of delta-T/watt. Ie: a heatsink might be rated at 0.30C/watt, meaning that with a 50-watt CPU, it'll keep the temperature difference between the ambient air and the CPU to 15C. The Macbook has a delta-T of about 50C, based on my experience. At normal room temperature of 22C, that's about 72C under load, which is hot, but bearable. With a 40C ambient temperature, that same delta-T gives you 90C+, which is definitely on its way to burnination territory.

rhashem
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by hatim
40C-55C ambient temps are common where I am. If I can't run it, too bad

Atleast it has never crashed.
Dude. My Macbook idles in the middle of that range. Your outside is as hot as the inside of my computer...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2006, 02:59 AM

Yeah, what the heck are we actually talking about here - are you guys quoting the CPU temps (measured with CoreDuoTemp or something similar) or did you actually buy an infrared thermometer and measure the outside case temp. I'll bet a six-pack nobody has ever gotten their case temp to 90C (w/o putting the MB in an oven or blocking the vents). OTOH, if the case is 40C and the CPU is 90C - who cares? The CPU is made to work at that temp. As long as the case is bearable I could care less what temp my CPU is running at as long as it's within spec.

galaga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 07:30 AM

Suggestion for a standardised heat test:

Run yes> dev/null for 15 minutes

Flip Macbook upside down

Crack one large, grade A free-range egg on the bottom

Record time it takes to fry egg

Post time for comparison (stating whether egg was over easy or sunny side up)

macdragonfl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 09:25 AM

Powerbooks get very hot as well. Buy an ILap best money I ever spent!!!!

24klogos
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2006, 06:01 PM

its gotta be the global warming thing, back in my day computers used to run cooler.
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

elcheapo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
Burnt your hand twice?

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me... fool me twice... [pause] We can't get fooled again!" ... GWB

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2006, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by elcheapo
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me... fool me twice... [pause] We can't get fooled again!" ... GWB

http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...a/foolbush.mov

ChasingApple
Senior User
Jul 3, 2006, 02:40 AM

I am almost glad I am getting the last Generation G4 iBook instead of the Macbook. Nice little 12" system, never gets hot (had one before), and portable as hell

Seriously, if its burning you, take it back and buy an older used ibook or powerbook, it will do the same job
iMac G4 / Macbook

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by hatim
obviously I dont have burn marks. The burns are minor. My reflexes are smart enough to move my hand away when the get burned. On the other hand, Ive been running BOINC for 3 hrs and no crashes or lock ups. Im thinking of running it for 24hrs to see if it really is stable. 90C-92C. The bottom is too hot too touch. Guess if they wont take it back, this will be good as a portable computer with a screen. I can use it on my 21" CRT and tak it when Im out of town.
Do you normally leave a computer running for 24hrs? If it bothers you so much, take it to Apple. By the way, your hands are supposed to be on the keyboard and trackpad, not underneath the MacBook.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2006, 07:30 AM

You need to call Jackie if you burned yourself on a MacBook

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by ChasingApple
it will do the same job
No it wont' it won't do multiple cameras in FCP... it won't run motion at a usable speed... it won't encode a DVD at an acceptable speed... it won't do anything else that needs speed...

j0nkatz
Jul 7, 2006, 09:35 AM

So would 120F be to hot for the keyboard area? Apple store told me that was within spec.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by j0nkatz
So would 120F be to hot for the keyboard area? Apple store told me that was within spec.
It's very warm to touch, but from what I have heard here, you're not alone (actually, mine has similar case temps when I'm using it).

And, Apple will likely not replace that machine with another one that then suddenly stays at case temps below 90F. Mostly they seem to be treating 120F case temps as 'within spec'.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2006, 10:34 AM

How much longer is this going to go on? Are we going to beat this dead horse to death? I'm saying this because this is not a new issue. Apple's notebooks have been heating up quite a bit for years especially back during the slower G3 days.
I had a 500Mhz G3 iBook and there was no way I could sit it on the bed, it would get so hot I thought it would get damaged.

Anyone remember the first generation 867Mhz 12" PowerBook? It had the worst reputation for heating up. It was near unbarable to touch.
I have a 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz and it gets really hot so I have it set for lower power consumption to keep it comfortable and to keep the noisy fans off.

How come these slower CPU's get hot? Because it has nothing to with the speed so it's BS that older and slower computers run cooler.

It's because Apple's machines are getting thinner and thinner which is why the heat just gets crazier and crazier to a point where the CPU is almost sitting on your lap which is why Apple recommends you sit these notebooks on a desk or at least put something between your lap and the computer.
Apple knows their machines get hot, they have to test them before they sell them but this all has to with IBM and Intel not necessarily Apple.
( Last edited by hldan; Jul 7, 2006 at 10:43 AM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
It's because Apple's machines are getting thinner and thinner which is why the heat just gets crazier and crazier to a point where the CPU is almost sitting on your lap which is why Apple recommends you sit these notebooks on a desk or at least put something between your lap and the computer.
We use Lenovo ThinkPad T60s at work.

They're dual core , thinner than the MBP and only a few mm thicker than the MBP, and their cases run significantly cooler than either the MB or MBP.

The major difference I've seen is that the T60s are constantly pumping hot air out the rear of the machine. The fan's totally silent, but it always moving air.

Except under a significant load, I've never felt my MB or MBP move air like that.

It's just like when my roommate decides to cook dinner and forgets to turn on the freaking fan over the stove (that takes the hot air and dumps it outside). The heat from the stove makes the kitchen miserably hot. Turn the fan on, move the heat elswhere, and the kitchen stays comfortable. It's not magic.

Here's a quote from someone whose MBP's fans ran all of the time. If running them all of the time makes the system COLD to the touch, and running them how they're running now makes them warm/hot to the touch, then perhaps Apple can find something more in the middle?

"My MacBook Pro was cool; actually, it was cold to the touch. I compiled a fresh install of Subversion, which is known to strain the system, and left the laptop on my lap while wearing shorts. I felt only the barest amount of warmth from the laptop. The keyboard area was actually cool to the touch. It was the most amazing thing."
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...on.html?page=3

ChasingApple
Senior User
Jul 7, 2006, 02:59 PM

my iBook G4 1.33Ghz 12" never gets hot. I always have it on my lap while I surf from the good old couch, and I use it til the battery goes on me, which is usually between 5-6 hours. When on battery power I have it set to the best battery life option. My old HP ZX5000 would roast my nuts within 10 minutes though
iMac G4 / Macbook

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by aristobrat
We use Lenovo ThinkPad T60s at work.

They're dual core , thinner than the MBP and only a few mm thicker than the MBP, and their cases run significantly cooler than either the MB or MBP.

The major difference I've seen is that the T60s are constantly pumping hot air out the rear of the machine. The fan's totally silent, but it always moving air.

Except under a significant load, I've never felt my MB or MBP move air like that.

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...on.html?page=3

Agreed, most of the PC notebooks I have seen that are cool to the touch pump out a considerable amount of hot air either out to the side or the rear of the machine. I think Apple's idea of using the computer casing as a way to dissapate heat it not a great idea. I would rather have high blowing fans or heat blowing out than extremely hot casing.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Ouhei
Jul 7, 2006, 03:13 PM

I got my Macbook a few days ago (5 to be exact) and before buying I read forums and blogs about the supposed heat issues , and I was a little concerned. But I bought one and have been using it for the bast five days with no issues.

Under normal use my internal temps haven't gone above 55C, this is normal use (ie, browsing, IM, streaming video, itunes, etc etc). I have used it on my lap and on my bed and the bottom of the laptop has gotten warm, but I wouldn't call it hot (this was after running it for 3 hours).

I wouldn't let anyones stories of heat issues deter you from buying one of these fantastic machines, yes some have issues, but what product goes without any, especially at first release? Apple has been good about replacing or fixing any issues that have come up without too much hassle so if anything does go wrong, you should be ok.

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2006, 02:45 PM

Oh, stop your b*tching. My current IBM laptop could set fire to your whiney arse.
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

Tummy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2006, 05:49 PM

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: -13° to 113° F (-24° to 45° C)
So 40° C ambient temperature is quite a bit above the specs.

jpellino
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2006, 06:07 PM

ya know, "lap-top" is a colloquialism. You are not required to place it on your lap. And Apple tells you not to.

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2006, 06:13 PM

<b>EVERYONE</b> calls them laptops and EVERYONE puts them on their laps...

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2006, 06:15 PM

EVERYONE calls them laptops and EVERYONE puts them on their laps...

Sorry about the double post... I didn't realize that it would do that =/. If there's a moderator around, delete that one!

Forum Links
Forum Rules