Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Tech Tool Pro 4 hosed my drive, recovery advice

Tech Tool Pro 4 hosed my drive, recovery advice
SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 01:20 AM

For some reason every once in a while I get the idea that I should run some utility software on my drives. Apparently I never learn my lesson because after Drive 10 hosed one of my drives in the past TTP just did it today.

I foolishly allowed it to mess with the catalog structure and replace the old one with the new one that it thought was oh so much better.

Now the disk (a 200gb maxtor) doesn't mount, and Disk Utility tells me "Invalid B-tree node size."

Before anyone goes nuts, yes I back up all my important data. This drive was used for media (think 130gb of tv shows) and was therefore not backed up.
Aside from pissing off my ISP downloading everything again, is there any alternative to recovering the data?

Specifically, can I erase it in Disk Utility and then try the recover option in TTP? Would I need another drive for it to recover to, or could it recover in place?

On a side note, my pci ata card should be here this week and then I will be totally redoing my drive setup (mirror raid 200gb, 400gb media, backup disks).

Advice from TTP users is most appreciated, snide remarks on how I should back up everything is less welcome.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 01:31 AM

diskwarrior.

i've used ttp in the past, but...
once, when i used it (on os9, to be fair) it moved EVERY SINGLE FILE on my friends mac to the desktop...nuts.

diskwarrior may be able to fix this (before you do anything rash...!)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
diskwarrior.

i've used ttp in the past, but...
once, when i used it (on os9, to be fair) it moved EVERY SINGLE FILE on my friends mac to the desktop...nuts.

diskwarrior may be able to fix this (before you do anything rash...!)
Thanks for the advice, believe it or not I have DW. I had the CD in my album, but didn't have it installed. I am updating to 3.0.3 (for use with tiger) because version 3.0 said the problems with the directory were too severe to fix.

edit: the update failed for no apparent reason (code 3007 means nothing to me)
( Last edited by SSharon; Nov 8, 2006 at 02:00 AM. )

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 10:53 AM

I got the 3.0.3 update this morning and got one step further than before.

"It appears another disk utility has erased critical directory information."

It sounds like this isn't the first time this has happened.

Forum Links
Forum Rules