Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Anyone have to use Western Digitals Online replacement warranty service?

Anyone have to use Western Digitals Online replacement warranty service?
MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2009, 06:05 PM

I just had a 500gb fail on me just a couple of months before the 3 year warranty was up. Has anyone had any issues with their warranty rma service? I chose to do the advance RMA where they send me the replacement first and then I ship them the defective drive - downside is they hold me credit card info. I wanted to do this so I can reship their bad drive in the same box and packing so it would get to them in satisfactory condition.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

reader50
Administrator
Jan 22, 2009, 06:21 PM

I once RMA'd a 10GB drive to them. I used the online service, but didn't bother with advance replacement. They sent the replacement drive back without incident.

It was a 10GB 5400 drive. It failed with over a year to go on the warranty, so I waited until there were only 2 months left, in the hopes they wouldn't have another in stock and would replace with a more modern drive. It worked halfway - they sent a new 10 GB 7200. Haven't figured out what to do with it yet.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 22, 2009, 07:15 PM

10GB? How long ago was that?

reader50
Administrator
Jan 22, 2009, 08:39 PM

It was the original HD in my Sawtooth circa 2000. The warranty would have run out around the beginning of 2005 - so, some 4 years ago. It was slow and noisy even by 2005 standards, hence why it's sat on a shelf since. It would be an ok choice for a crunch box or boot drive on a home server.

MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2009, 10:44 PM

Well, I hope all goes well. I was about to do the standard rma but it required all these strict packing requirements. So I figure it would be better to have me ship their drive back with their packaging.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Forum Links
Forum Rules