Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac is here!

New iMac is here!
Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2009, 09:42 AM

According to the latest rumors we know have four new dual-core iMacs. No quad-core option. No i7.

$1199 - 20", 2.66 GHz Penryn, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, 9400M
$1499 - 24", 2.66 GHz Penryn, 4 GB RAM, 640 GB HDD, 9400M
$1799 - 24", 2.93 GHz Penryn, 4 GB RAM, 640 GB HDD, GT 120 / 256MB
$2199 - 24", 3.09 GHz Penryn XE, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, GT 130 / 512MB

There is a Radeon HD 4950 / 512MB CTO option on the two high-end models

All come with 4 USB ports, 1 FW800 port, MDP, Gigabit, 802.11n and BT 2.1+EDR.

It is truly surprising that Apple thinks even with this economy they can leave iMac price points untouched. With no quad-core option and the lack of a non-MP affordable desktop (i.e. a regular desktop computer with regaular desktop parts) Apple's product line-up hole is just as big as it used to be.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It is truly surprising that Apple thinks even with this economy they can leave iMac price points untouched. With no quad-core option and the lack of a non-MP affordable desktop (i.e. a regular desktop computer with regaular desktop parts) Apple's product line-up hole is just as big as it used to be.
Interesting also how Apple is shooting its own feet with the design restrictions. Intel's desktop processors have for so long no use in the Apple land. And this update just keeps the traditions going for some months still.

chichow
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2009, 10:33 AM

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2009, 10:41 AM

AIt is truly surprising that Apple thinks even with this economy they can leave iMac price points untouched. With no quad-core option and the lack of a non-MP affordable desktop (i.e. a regular desktop computer with regaular desktop parts) Apple's product line-up hole is just as big as it used to be.
While agree with you, I also think that most of the Mac Faithful are likely to buy the fresh products at this price point. Once those customers dry up in a few months, then they'll consider dropping prices.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2009, 01:46 PM

With no quad-core option and the lack of a non-MP affordable desktop (i.e. a regular desktop computer with regaular desktop parts) Apple's product line-up hole is just as big now even bigger than it used to be.
Fixinated.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2009, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
While agree with you, I also think that most of the Mac Faithful are likely to buy the fresh products at this price point. Once those customers dry up in a few months, then they'll consider dropping prices.
I agree with you regarding the Mac Faithful. And while I really hope you're right about the price drop, I certainly wouldn't count on it. Apple appears to think it's immune to the current economic situation. With the 21 billion in the bank I can see where they're coming from, but their share holders sure aren't going to like it.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2009, 03:00 PM

I agree with you regarding the Mac Faithful. And while I really hope you're right about the price drop, I certainly wouldn't count on it. Apple appears to think it's immune to the current economic situation. With the 21 billion in the bank I can see where they're coming from, but their share holders sure aren't going to like it.
Count on it? No, absolutely not. I could see them waiting up to a full year before giving in.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2009, 03:21 PM

According to the latest rumors we know have four new dual-core iMacs. No quad-core option. No i7.

$1199 - 20", 2.66 GHz Penryn, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, 9400M
$1499 - 24", 2.66 GHz Penryn, 4 GB RAM, 640 GB HDD, 9400M
$1799 - 24", 2.93 GHz Penryn, 4 GB RAM, 640 GB HDD, GT 120 / 256MB
$2199 - 24", 3.09 GHz Penryn XE, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, GT 130 / 512MB

There is a Radeon HD 4950 / 512MB CTO option on the two high-end models

All come with 4 USB ports, 1 FW800 port, MDP, Gigabit, 802.11n and BT 2.1+EDR.

this is an odd state of affairs that i have thought about also.
how does apple still put up such great numbers while everyone else is posting losses left and right?
i think it goes back to the fact that people will always pay for quality.
it also speaks to what the "competition" is doing.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2009, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
Interesting also how Apple is shooting its own feet with the design restrictions. Intel's desktop processors have for so long no use in the Apple land. And this update just keeps the traditions going for some months still.
huh? how do you see this? just asking you opinion.
i was a unhappy camper myself when apple moved from ibm to intel processors because it meant that i had to buy a new computer.
it sucked, but the difference was huge.
there were many things that were possible under intel that was not possible under ibm.
ie boot camp.
though it may have been possible, apple was not going to push it.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2009, 03:28 PM

though i would love it, i just do not see apple dropping the prices later.
i do not think that there is a history of this.
normally thy sell us on the better stuff, a couple hundred dollars less.
i do not think that they will drop the price later unless sales really really dip.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
i do not think that there is a history of this.
I'd put more stock in that thought if we weren't in a history re-writing economy.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2009, 03:35 PM

though i am very happy about it, i think that it is very odd that apple is immune to this.
i mean here in the US we have seen large electronics retailers that have been around forever go out of business, compusa, circuit city...
apple, seems fine though.
and everytime i go into the store it is packed.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2009, 03:36 PM

Count on it? No, absolutely not. I could see them waiting up to a full year before giving in.
at least a year...

ps i love the configs and video cards, but really wanted to see the i7 processors in the imacs

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2009, 03:58 PM

No one caught this I see.
I can't wait to hear the outrage.

chichow
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2009, 04:00 PM

eh...
its a change in the default shipping option.

you can have a keyboard with a num keypad for no additional cost when you are going through your options when ordering...

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2009, 04:01 PM

That won't stop people from complaining.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2009, 04:07 PM

Yeah, you can get the real KB at no extra charge by choosing the appropriate CTO option.

If enough people do this, hopefully Apple will come to its senses. No numeric pad on a desktop KB? You gotta be kiddin' me.
( Last edited by Simon; Mar 4, 2009 at 05:20 AM. Reason: formatting)

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2009, 04:08 PM

Perfect, thanks.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2009, 04:23 PM

i saw this, but I do not think that the number pad was that big of a deal.
i do not like the smaller keyboard though....

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2009, 05:30 PM

I'd probably have bought this one, though now that I think of it I really do use the numeric pad a lot... though that's mainly at work. Makes entering my credit card info a lot easier though... would my finances be better if it weren't for Apple?

P
Mar 3, 2009, 05:51 PM

Two reasons for this:

* To make a point that the numeric keypad isn't always there. This is of course the case on many wintel laptops as well, but Apple is making the point. The reason for this is that interfaces should not be designed assuming that the numeric keypad is there - the same point they make by not enabling right click by default.

* Wide keyboards force the mouse far out on the side. This causes ergonomic problems for some people, as you're not supposed to work with the arm that far from the center of the body.

This second thing may look minor to you, but there are signs that Apple has take this into consideration. The first iMac keyboard was cramped, but an also much narrower than the old Apple one. The Pro keyboard that followed was wider, but not as wide as the old Pro Apple keyboard. The one after that - the white one - has all the keys but with the frame and spaces between key areas decreased, and finally the current incarnation lets you cump the numeric part completely. A definite evolution.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2009, 05:52 PM

Do these keyboards without the numeric keypad support the fn key conversion that laptop ones have, so that the 789, uio, jkl, and m,. (iirc) keys become a keypad?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2009, 05:53 PM

I think you misconstrued my stance on the subject.

Ado
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2009, 08:05 PM

I don't get it...

Are the new iMacs i7....? In Australia all iMacs have gone up $500-700 more in price.

A 2.93 i7 for $560 on NewEgg, so dual are $1120.

This is why Capitalism and Globalization don't work...
Make the computers in a cheaper country but still raise the prices.
Reminds me of Apple of old..

Mac mini price here is a joke..Doubled...
( Last edited by Ado; Mar 3, 2009 at 08:25 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ado View Post
I don't get it...

Are the new iMacs i7....? In Australia all iMacs have gone up $500-700 more in price.

A 2.93 i7 for $560 on NewEgg, so dual are $1120.

This is why Capitalism and Globalization don't work...
Make the computers in a cheaper country but still raise the prices.
Reminds me of Apple of old..

Mac mini price here is a joke..Doubled...
What's so surprising ? Your currency has lost 24% compared to the USD in the last 6 months.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=AUDUSD

Do you think all that is going to be "free" for the Australian consumer ?

-t

Ado
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2009, 11:29 PM

Turtle FYI,
when the Aussie dollar was 90 cents to US dollar Apple still charged us like it was 60 cents to dollar. What I'm trying to say is how funny is it Apple uses the exchange rate factor when it suits them but never rewards us when our currency was stronger.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/digita...842463018.html

"Do you think all that is going to be "free" for the Australian consumer ?"

Also explain the pound and their price hike? Please....

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2009, 11:31 PM

The last time Apple cut prices/shifted the imac sizes downwards (20 inch for the price of the old 17", 24" for the price of the old 20") they downgraded the quality of the displays for the new, yet cheaper model.

I wonder if the new, cheaper 24" iMacs have crappier screens compared to the most-expensive 24 inchers?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2009, 03:07 AM

Does anyone know if the GeForce GT 120 is worth $300 more than the GeForce 9400m that's in the lower end models? That seems to be the only major difference between the middle two tiers.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Ado
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2009, 03:13 AM

Better question, how more superior is the 2.6 model from last models 2.8? (same price)

P
Mar 4, 2009, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
Does anyone know if the GeForce GT 120 is worth $300 more than the GeForce 9400m that's in the lower end models? That seems to be the only major difference between the middle two tiers.
It's a 9500GT by another name. No, it's not worth $300, even if you do get another 10% in clockspeed in the bargain. The 4850 might be worth the total $500 you'd have to pay for it (the upgrade to a 4850 is $200) in the sense that then you might game on it and $500 is less than a gaming PC, but the top two models are underspecced for their price. A GT 150 (9600 GT) or a Radeon 4670 would have been more like it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2009, 05:30 AM

I think that's not the right question. By itself $300 probably isn't worth it. But if you're into 3D games you have no other choice. The 9400M is fine for most day to day tasks, but it's not a serious option for 3D games or heavily GUI accelerated apps (Motion, Aperture).

If you do web, mail, office apps, and light games the 9400M will be fine. If you want to play current 3D games you should definitely upgrade the GPU. Even if it means spending $300 which I agree is a whole lot.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ado View Post
Better question, how more superior is the 2.6 model from last models 2.8? (same price)
They don't have the same price.

The 2.8 was $1799 but that money now buys you 2.93 GHz, twice the RAM, twice the disk, and a better GPU. Although I don't think the graphics performance difference will be that big (HD 2600 PRO vs. GT 120) - somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

The previous 2.66 GHz model was $1499. Compared to the current $1499 model you now get twice the RAM, twice the disk, but you're stuck with the 9400M. It's no bad GPU, but if you're doing 3D games, the 2600 PRO would be the better choice.
( Last edited by Simon; Mar 8, 2009 at 05:15 AM. Reason: typo)

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2009, 08:57 AM

What's up with apple's desire to axe the numeric keyboard. I use my all of the time. Its asinine.
~Mike

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
What's up with apple's desire to axe the numeric keyboard. I use my all of the time. Its asinine.
I like both options. For my main desk, I like having the numeric keypad. For my home theatre and another computer where I don't have much space, I prefer one without the numeric keypad. Less bulky.

I don't really like the keys on any of their current keyboards though. I much prefer the keys on the old white Apple Pro Keyboard, or the older one from the old G4 Power Macs.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2009, 09:43 AM

How does the previous gen ATI 2600 graphics card compare with the new Nvidia 9400m chipset?
(Have we taken 2 steps forward and 1 step back here?)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

P
Mar 4, 2009, 12:07 PM

How does the previous gen ATI 2600 graphics card compare with the new Nvidia 9400m chipset?
(Have we taken 2 steps forward and 1 step back here?)
According to Barefeats, the 8800 GS is 3 times as fast as a 9400M and twice as fast as the old 2600 - roughly. It's a step down of about a third, in other words.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2009, 12:17 PM

Not bad I guess. Debating if the 9400m will provide acceptable performance. (Same reason that I haven't made the MBP vs. MB decision for my work laptop yet.)

Then ... if the 9400m *IS* acceptable maybe the mini comes back into the picture.

Historically I've conditioned myself to NOT like shared-memory graphics. Maybe it's time to let that go.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2009, 05:38 PM

900€ for 4G.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
900€ for 4G.
Those 4G chips are still expensive.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

SCHMEGGA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2009, 08:29 AM

I was whole-heartedly going to buy a new top-of-the-line iMac when it was thought that it would be announced back January. I already have the new MacBook and MacBook Pro 15" (which are outstanding BTW), and want an iMac just for the house. I was not impressed with the newest "upgrades" however. Since using the LED monitor on my Pro, I don't think I could go back to a regular monitor. The LED is phenomenally bright, which is fantastic for all the photo manipulation I do. I couldn't believe that since they have upgraded their 24" Cinema to LED that they didn't do it here. Guess I will wait around for the next generation and just hope.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2009, 11:09 AM

Schmegga,

I had an LED on my (now stolen) MBP and on my Dell Lat E6400. They *ARE* nice. One option might be to get the Mac Mini and hook it up to an external LED display.

Aside from the Apple 24" offering does anyone know of any other external LED displays? I was shopping last weekend and had a hard time finding any.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2009, 01:28 PM

Actually it looks like the 24" does have an LED display.

See second chart on this page:
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...ition#comments
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2009, 01:32 PM

Actually it looks like the 24" does have an LED display.
Nope. Unfortunately it really doesn't.

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2009, 01:45 PM

Bummer. (So much for 3rd party review sites).

Anyway: Back to my original question I guess regarding external LED monitors.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

pliny
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2009, 10:32 AM

This is a decent rolllout. You can get an iMac for 1199. The 2.66 is a decent machine, but I wonder how long it will hold up with the graphics.

I'm surprised at the ship times for some of the BTO options. Adding the ATI Radeon HD 4850 512M bumps the ship time to 4-6 weeks.
i look in your general direction

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2009, 10:54 AM

I still think the price differential for the better graphics options are over the top. The bad part is that if I have to settle for the 9400M I might as well get the Mac Mini and save a bunch. (Still pondering it.)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2009, 12:19 PM

I still think the price differential for the better graphics options are over the top.
They definitely are. It's pretty lame there's no upgrade option for the GPU on the $1499 24" model. It forces people who want a decent GPU to go to the $1799 model which in this economic situation is quite ludicrous.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2009, 12:49 PM

Just throwing this question out there for those in the know .... is the GPU upgradable later?
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2009, 01:40 PM

Nope.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2009, 04:34 PM

How is the older ATI 2600 Pro 256 MB GDDR3 graphics card in comparison to the GeForce GT120 256 MB GDDR3 card?

Forum Links
Forum Rules