Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Sites you're surprised don't work on iPad?

Sites you're surprised don't work on iPad?
andi*pandi
Jun 6, 2010, 03:55 PM

I know not everything will work, flash, yadda yadda, and don't want to rehash that argument. I've have been checking out the html5 sites apple is touting and am impressed. However, I was surprised by a few so far that I'd expect to be on the bandwagon:

Pixar still uses Flash wrappers for their movies. Hmm.

Facebook, cannot click the share button. I can copy it, tap it, but it does nothing. Perhaps this is a subtle hint to not post on facebook... or there's an app for that.

Any others?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2010, 03:58 PM

Yeah, there's definitely an app for "that" whereby the that is Facebook. The official Facebook client for the iPhone/iPod was pretty nice, and I imagine they probably had an iPad version up pretty quickly.

I've always had trouble logging into the Forums on my iPod because the login menu doesn't work properly. I have to find the login page to do it, which is a little annoying. I bet it's the same way on the iPad.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2010, 03:59 PM

MobileMe... But of course that doesn't work on anything besides Safari and Firefox.
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Jun 6, 2010 at 04:21 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2010, 04:09 PM

Oh wow look, I got my CI stars back! Yay! I didn't even recognize myself at first.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

-Q-
Jun 6, 2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Yeah, there's definitely an app for "that" whereby the that is Facebook. The official Facebook client for the iPhone/iPod was pretty nice, and I imagine they probably had an iPad version up pretty quickly.
Actually, they still don't have an iPad version of the FB app. Since the original developer got frustrated with Apple and quit the internal project, it seems to be languishing.

I'm sure there are sites that surprised me at their lack of function, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. I'm honestly surprised at how well ESPN.com works - they're pretty flash-happy over there.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2010, 05:40 PM

I wouldn't say I'm surprised, but ford.ca relies on flash quite a bit. it was the only site I noticed didn't work.

dzp111
Senior User
Jun 6, 2010, 06:28 PM

Tried to apply for employment insurance for girlfriend in Canada on iPad. No go, even though there's no Flash and that the site says that it only works with Safari on the Mac.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2010, 10:17 PM

After 2 months, no real issues.

Haven't run across a site that surprised my by not working even though I thought it would.

I don't do a lot of social media, so there.

-t

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2010, 11:59 PM

I'd like the desktop version of google reader to be fully functioning.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2010, 12:05 AM

The FB app is kind of weird though, because it omits any Wall activity that isn't an actual post, and the Info tab is incomplete.

I've always had trouble logging into the Forums on my iPod because the login menu doesn't work properly. I have to find the login page to do it, which is a little annoying. I bet it's the same way on the iPad.
Yeah, that drove me crazy the first time I had to do it.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2010, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by dzp111 View Post
Tried to apply for employment insurance for girlfriend in Canada on iPad. No go, even though there's no Flash and that the site says that it only works with Safari on the Mac.
That is surprising, I could see a site like that requiring active X, but if it says it works on safari, it doesn't. I wonder what broke that.
Oh and slightly off-topic but it's impossible to find anything on Canada's website. That's been a gripe of mine for a while.

Actually I just realized you probably had to view a PDF on the website. That may have done it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules