Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 122)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2016, 03:06 PM

I was being sarcastic. He cites my 'bad' behavior as an excuse for his.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2016, 03:19 PM

New page time...

I've put a full stop on watching anything NMS related. I want to go in with a fresh set of eyes and not develop any prejudices beforehand. I'm equal parts excited and worried. The base experience is going to be great, I'm sure of that, but hopefully it creates some kind of meaningful depth out in the quintillions of stars.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2016, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Ahh I see, it is involuntary, my apologies.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Sorry guys, I 'started' it.
There was no "it", we were making jokes, jokes are good and people need to chill.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2016, 04:22 PM

The best!

*gate buzzer*
"Yes?"
[child's voice] "Sir, I'm sorry to bother you, but you have a Flareon and a Venonat on your property, can we please come in and catch them?"
"Really? Well, what if I want to catch them for myself?"
"Oh... You do?"
"No, not really. Please come in and save us from these dangerous critters."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2016, 03:13 PM

I made the idiotic mistake of installing the iOS 10 Beta (a train wreck, BRW), so I'm having issues with Pokemon Go's AR. It's also made me sign up three times so far. I know they're having server issues as well. Still, it looks like a hit.

On the plus side, my church (office) is apparently a landmark, so it's a Pokecenter. Our parking lot has had several visitors stopping by in the front of the property at odd hours. I stopped by at 11 PM last night to do a little work, and three people around 20-years-old were walking near our flagpole, all trying to catch something.

[EDIT] I just realized... We've had three robberies over the years. It's just a matter of time before one of my students gets cuffed on church property. Cops swing through all the time.

[EDIT #2] Pokémon Go's success adds $7.5 billion to Nintendo's market value

I just wonder if this will decrease Nintendo's reluctance to put major titles on mobile.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Jul 11, 2016 at 11:16 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2016, 03:29 PM

P
Jul 14, 2016, 09:29 AM

The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2016, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
The nostalgia factor is through the roof with this one.

P
Jul 14, 2016, 11:54 AM

It also happens to be a very good pick of games. One can always argue that your favorite game is missing, but they do hit a lot of the good ones. It has all the Super Marios, both Zeldas, Punch Out! (which is tricky to emulate), two Castlevanias, Metroid, the best Mega Man (yes it is, and Inafune agrees with me), and a lot of arcade classics.

I am so buying this.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2016, 05:46 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2016, 10:17 AM

Hilarious. I swear, there's probably 3 million people that could be convinced that's real.

Including this girl.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2016, 11:12 AM

Future NMS players, console or PC? Reckon it'll be PC for me, although very tempted to do some Competitve Overwatch. Like Sek, I've unsubbed from the Reddit NMS sub. Avoiding vids etc. I really don't want to know whats in the middle before playing.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 1, 2016, 11:16 AM

It's leaked. Will get around to watching vids eventually

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2016, 12:57 PM

I have it preordered from Amazon for PS4. I peeked into the NMS subreddit and it is utter chaos now that a couple of people have gotten their hands on it early. Emotions range from disappointment to sheet fury at the developers for such an 'unfinished' game. Whether or not the issues the leakers ran into at due to the game servers not being up yet remains to be seen.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 1, 2016, 01:03 PM

There should be a day one patch, too.

But I suspect fans might be in for a half-molyneux's worth of disappointment here.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2016, 01:15 PM

Well they built the game into something it wasn't. Moreover there are people who couldn't play more than a few hours of Minecraft without getting bored, while some of us have kept playing it for over 3 years.

The features I read about a few weeks ago actually exceeded my expectations of things to do in NMS. I suspect a great deal of this misplaced rage is coming from hormonal teenagers with nothing better to do than ruin the surprise of a game they've waited years for. I ain't got time for dat.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2016, 08:58 AM

I'll probably pick it up for PC for graphical reasons, but I don't have it preordered. I'm going to wait and see if the depth is disappointing enough to wait for a sale. I'm still excited for the game, but $60 is a bit much if it won't hold my interest forever. It doesn't have to be everything I ever dreamt it would be — it just needs to have a hook. Sek mentioning Minecraft is a perfect example.

One thing that worries me is that the guy who's been leaking all the recent news after obtaining a copy said that he hasn't found any planets that are as "lush" as the ones shown off in the trailers.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2016, 07:55 AM

half-molyneux's worth of disappointment here.
Very apt.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 9, 2016, 12:43 PM

I should mention there's been a bit of a hubbub over the summer games content. It's limited time, which makes sense, but you can't purchase any of the content with the in game currency blizzard included for purchasing in game content. Further, loot boxes only give one guaranteed summer drop and if that drop is a duplicate you get--currency. It's been a pretty scummy set up.

P
Aug 10, 2016, 05:33 AM

Updated PS4 to be announced September 7th.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2016, 10:42 AM

Updated PS4 to be announced September 7th.
Same day as iPhone 7 announcement. Nice. I'll be double-angry.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 10, 2016, 10:50 AM

I bet there's an NFL game that day, too.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2016, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Angry +2
Apathetic +1

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 10, 2016, 10:59 AM

I'm curious wether they can sell me on the neo

P
Aug 10, 2016, 11:40 AM

Very odd to announce on the same day as the iPhone event. Wouldn't be surprised if they move it a week or so to avoid a collision.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2016, 06:02 PM

I'm curious wether they can sell me on the neo
EVE : Valkyrie + Ace Combat 7 + VR is enough for me.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 11, 2016, 07:58 PM

Adding in a VR would make it even more expensive.

P
Aug 19, 2016, 09:45 AM

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is getting surprisingly good reviews. This looks like a buy now.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2016, 01:07 AM

Augs Lives Matter!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2016, 10:58 AM

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is getting surprisingly good reviews. This looks like a buy now.
Human Revolution was pretty great (except for the boss battles), so this isn't a huge surprise, but definitely welcome.

P
Aug 22, 2016, 12:07 PM

Human Revolution was very very good. I am in the minority that actually like the boss battles, there were little hints that let you win them rather easily if you had a modicum of fighting skill. For some reason I had already expected that this would be a dud, after the silly marketing schemes and the delayed launch, but I'm glad I was wrong. The original 2000 game remains one of my absolute favorites.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 22, 2016, 12:15 PM

They're raising the cost of PS+. They better start adding some ****ing free retail games

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2016, 03:03 PM

They're raising the cost of PS+. They better start adding some ****ing free retail games
Quality of free titles goes down...
PS+ price goes up...

Makes perfect sense.

P
Aug 22, 2016, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Pretty positive reviews for Doom around the net. Doubt that I'll get it (even though I thought that I would), maybe when the price comes down if I'm bored of Overwatch.
Bought Doom on a sale a while back, and just finished playing it. Much better than I expected, a real blast from the past. There is a bit too much to collect (you can get weapons mods from a sales drone, upgrade said mods using weapons upgrade points you get from killing monsters and doing special missions, upgrade the suit using Praetor suit tokens from fallen soldiers, and upgrade yourself by finding canisters of Argent energy - and I didn't even mention the secret collecting and special models you can find) but I found that the trick was to just ignore all that and just go crazy with the plasma rifle.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2016, 06:53 PM

Bought Doom on a sale a while back, and just finished playing it. Much better than I expected, a real blast from the past. There is a bit too much to collect (you can get weapons mods from a sales drone, upgrade said mods using weapons upgrade points you get from killing monsters and doing special missions, upgrade the suit using Praetor suit tokens from fallen soldiers, and upgrade yourself by finding canisters of Argent energy - and I didn't even mention the secret collecting and special models you can find) but I found that the trick was to just ignore all that and just go crazy with the plasma rifle.
It's a ridiculously fun game.

I didn't realize until I was about three hours in that I haven't played a game that felt like this in a very, very long time.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2016, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I bet it's Tom Brady's first game back from suspension, too.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2016, 08:10 PM

Or at least offer some seasonal discounts for PS+. I know Microsoft usually has promotions during the holiday season. (Black Friday.) I usually don't spend more than $35 for 12 months of xbox Live.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2016, 01:32 AM

BF1 beta out and gran turismo delayed because it's gran turismo.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2016, 01:07 PM

BF1 beta out and gran turismo delayed because it's gran turismo.
Didn't even realize the Beta was coming so soon, you going to be giving it a whirl tonight/tomorrow night?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2016, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Didn't even realize the Beta was coming so soon, you going to be giving it a whirl tonight/tomorrow night?
Yeah, I did a brief run last night. Having played a cartoony game for so long the graphics were jaw dropping. I also sliders for FOV!!!

But to be honest I'm so into Overwatch I may not get bf1 at launch. Depends if I keep enjoying competitive and have a crew.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2016, 02:59 PM

One of the coolest BF1 clips I've seen so far: https://gfycat.com/PlainUnevenAlbacoretuna

It's incredibly tough to be effective as a rear gunner, so this guy looks like he sucks, but that explosion...

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2016, 12:29 PM

But to be honest I'm so into Overwatch I may not get bf1 at launch. Depends if I keep enjoying competitive and have a crew.
Alright, annoy me, what SR? I got 2154 and have lost and drawn all games since - all soloq. Hoping that a few redditors will help rank up a bit.

I agree with my initial ranking though, the qualification games were tough W5, D2, L3. But since then I've been in games with attacking Torbs and Hanzos. Even a few without support, so I end up as Lucio (who is actually great to play but I have more fun tanking or killing tanks).

So far in 20-odd games of comp, ONE person in Teamchat.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 7, 2016, 12:52 PM

2600, now 2800.

There are serious problems with the system. The first being they heavily condense the pop in SR out of placement, meaning your teammates can range from the brain dead to aimbots in a range of 500 points.

My advice: if you're gonna solo q, wait a few weeks for the ranks to better sort themselves out. Second, if you can, play with at least a group of 3.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 7, 2016, 01:55 PM

Oh, before blizzard borked stats by removed by losses from QP (wtf) I finally made my goal of Top 1000 D va on PS4

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 7, 2016, 03:54 PM

Ps4 pro being shown off as we speak

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2016, 04:56 PM

I really liked the 4 -hour outage of PSN last night, I guess that's why they're going to charge more for it now?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 7, 2016, 05:41 PM

It's a joke, right? Were they DDOSed?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2016, 05:47 PM

It was down for several hours worldwide last night, no idea why.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 7, 2016, 07:42 PM

No, I meant its a joke as in, how are they still having these types of issues. But yeah I haven't heard anything today, really.

Rumor
Sep 7, 2016, 09:12 PM

It's a "feature".
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules