Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther TRICKS!!

Panther TRICKS!!
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 03:25 PM

anyone knows any tricks beside the one that you can minimize windows at slow speed, that one is boring!!!
bring it on!!!
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 03:54 PM

When you hold down the command key while clicking a window title, a popup menu pops up.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

zachs
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 04:09 PM

1. Open Terminal and type "killall Dock". Don't hit enter!

2. Have a window open in the background. With the Terminal window still in front, shift-click the minimize button of the background window to put in slow motion.

3. Once the minimize effect has started, hit enter.

Have fun!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2004, 05:22 PM

^ ^ Ha ha, that's awesome!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
^ ^ Ha ha, that's awesome!
Agreed!

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 9, 2004, 05:40 PM

Yeah, that's really cool! You can even resize the distorted window & scroll up and down etc! It's really funky. Look what I did (keep in mind the window was origianlly square when I first minimized it):

stretch
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2004, 05:46 PM

Now try it with a Quicktime movie open or something and have even more fun.

Great tip btw.

Side note: expose ignores windows that you do this to. I wonder if you can do this to one window then move the dock to the sides and do it again and have frozen windows all over . . .

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 05:52 PM

wow!!! thats scare me a little bit!!! but it was fun!!!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 07:02 PM

another slow motion tip is to hold shift and press the expose f9, f10, f11 keys.

a windows using friend was over recently and i had my powerbook hooked up to my tv and her eyes were huge when she saw me use expose.

so i did what any proud osX user would do. i opened loads of textedit documents,a quicktime movie, held shift, and pressed f9
she could not believe that the movie still played.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 09:07 PM

I thought the app was fubar for a sec.

Peorth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2004, 09:09 PM

press the ctrl + option + command + #8 keys.

Turns the screen's colors to black and white and various grays. To change back, hit the same keys again.

Pretty interesting.
( Last edited by Peorth; Feb 9, 2004 at 09:26 PM. )

Powerbook 15" 1.25 Ghz, 512 RAM, 80 gig HD, Superdrive

GeneShifter
Feb 9, 2004, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Peorth:

Turns the screen's colors to black and white and various grays. To change back, hit the same keys again.

Pretty interesting.
HAHA, that is way cool!!! Thx for that tip. I'm gonna have to try this at school and freak some people out
Doing my part to make MS obsolete. Oh, and the Iraq war is a bogus war.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 10:21 PM

Wow, nice tips! I'm using the black and white effect right now hehehe, looks pretty cool.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Brass
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2004, 10:31 PM

I like the COMMAND-OPTION-"+" and COMMAND-OPTION-"-" to zoom in and out (use repeatedly to zoom in further).

Then use the mouse to scroll near the edges of the screen.

(NB: You may need to use COMMAND-OPTION-"8" to turn enable/disable this feature).

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2004, 11:32 PM

Damn... I did it with the Safari window of this web page open (the killall Dock trick) and I'm browsing the forums and typing this reply with the window half minimized, with all text and images on a slant downwards, including the scroll bar which works.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2004, 11:48 PM

How about this adaptation: Old meets new.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 12:36 AM

Finder 6 is down! Finder 6 is down!
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Peorth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2004, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Wow, nice tips! I'm using the black and white effect right now hehehe, looks pretty cool.

Ming
I was so tempted to do that to a couple of the computers at the local Apple Store but was afraid that they would freak out on me. But I love the idea just the same.

Powerbook 15" 1.25 Ghz, 512 RAM, 80 gig HD, Superdrive

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2004, 12:47 AM

Ahh. Doesn't work with 10.3.3 though.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2004, 01:52 AM

Which doesn't work in 10.3.3?

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2004, 09:30 PM

the zoom effect is awsome!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!! Im in the twightlight zone!!!!! yehaaaa

Numenor
Feb 10, 2004, 09:40 PM

Damn... this B/W thing kicks ass. Anyone know what it was originally intended for?
Mac OSX is like Windows XP... only good.
My Computer: OS 10.3.4, G4 733, 896 MB RAM, 152GB on two HDs

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2004, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Numenor:
Damn... this B/W thing kicks ass. Anyone know what it was originally intended for?
It's part of the Universal Access pref pane. You can adjust the contrast by using the Command-Option-Control-<comma> and <period>.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
I like the COMMAND-OPTION-"+" and COMMAND-OPTION-"-" to zoom in and out (use repeatedly to zoom in further).

Then use the mouse to scroll near the edges of the screen.

(NB: You may need to use COMMAND-OPTION-"8" to turn enable/disable this feature).
Whoa. I don't need weed no more.

-Q-
Feb 11, 2004, 12:25 AM

It's for people with difficulty seeing. It's sometimes easier for them to see text in that color scheme than the normal one used.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 12:45 AM

The color-inversion is more useful to me late at night. Look at the Universal Access pane and choose White-On-Black, and all your colors invert. This is great for when your eyes are tired. It's not so great for viewing any sort of graphic content; for me at least, the constant VWUH? is tiring. I'm inverted right now, lying on my back with my eyes closed most of the time, typing on my 15AL propped up on a pillow. I'll open my eyes to correct mistakes and send, and then go back to typing something else. A few emails to send.

One "trick" in Safari Panther is Command-K which you might hit reaching for Command-L. It activates and deactivates the Pop-up Block. No noticeable change , you start typing in the address, nothing happens and you hit Command-L and try again. And popups ensue.

<hmm. No errors. My typing is better.>
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2004, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
Which doesn't work in 10.3.3?
Hitting "enter" as the terminal is minimizing. It gives the error sound.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2004, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by MasonMcD:
Hitting "enter" as the terminal is minimizing. It gives the error sound.
No, minimize a different window (shift-click for slow-mo), not the terminal one. Then hit enter in the terminal as the other window is minimizing.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2004, 07:52 AM

Boy, I'm really impressed by the zoom feature. Notably, it doesn't take up any processor power to perform. If I had not known about this feature, seeing a Mac in such a state would have freaked me out! I hope the guy who wanted to play a trick on his coworker has read this thread. Wow, this is really freaky - it looks a lot like WebTV.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2004, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
Yeah, that's really cool! You can even resize the distorted window & scroll up and down etc! It's really funky. Look what I did (keep in mind the window was origianlly square when I first minimized it):

stretch
Woah! That is funny! And believe it or not, I'm actually typing this while the window his gone crazy!
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Peorth:

Pretty interesting.
It's supposed to be a Universal Access feature. (There's also a control in the Universal A prefpane.) Here's another Universal Access feature/trick (Panther only): Press Command+Option+Control+period (.). And press again and again until nothing happens. Icons go crazy, desktop pictures look crude, and text looks weird. (To fix it, press Command+Option+Control+commma several times)
Bonus: before you do this, open the Universal Access prefpane and hit Set Display to Grayscale. When you're finished, you've got a black & white display!
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2004, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by ryaxnb:
When you're finished, you've got a black & white display!
Cool!!!!
PBG4/12"/1GHz/1.25GB/60GB//SD/APX/10.3

heidilux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2004, 09:55 PM

Holding down option while hitting F1 or F2 (the monitor F-keys) opens up the monitors prefpane. Option + F3,4,or5 opens up the sound pane.

Not as slick as the minimize trick, but concievably more useful.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 01:03 AM

"press the ctrl + option + command + #8 keys.
Turns the screen's colors to black and white and various grays. "

Doing that I noticed that for a moment of transition to W&B there was a reversal of colors. So...

While I had the colors set on W&B/B&W, using the Universal Access panel to click "Set Display to Color" gave me reversed COLORS - an amazing look.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2004, 01:11 AM

control f2 lets you use the KB to navigate through the menus (esc exits)

control f3 lets you cylce through the dock like command-tab used to work (esc exits)

control f4 cycles apps without the big bar coming up like command-tab, but it only goes through the last 3 used apps (I think)

Mithras
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2004, 02:20 AM

Control-click on an application in the dock, popping up the menu. Leave the menu there -- don't click again.

Now tap F10 (or your Expos� key) a whole buncha times.

When you're ready, click again to close the dock menu. Gaah!
Nice to leave a friend or colleague's Mac in that about-to-go-nuts state... (If you want to downright irritate them, do a bunch of shift-F10s while the dock menu is up)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2004, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by heidilux:
Holding down option while hitting F1 or F2 (the monitor F-keys) opens up the monitors prefpane. Option + F3,4,or5 opens up the sound pane.

Not as slick as the minimize trick, but concievably more useful.
These will only work on the built-in PowerBook keyboard. On desktop machines, or PowerBooks with a USB Apple keyboard attached, you can get to the sound pane with option + the volume adjust buttons.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2004, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by Mithras:
Control-click on an application in the dock, popping up the menu. Leave the menu there -- don't click again.

Nice to leave a friend or colleague's Mac in that about-to-go-nuts state... (If you want to downright irritate them, do a bunch of shift-F10s while the dock menu is up)
Now that's just evil!

kovacs
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 06:19 AM

Wow great, works even better with F9

bierslayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2004, 12:46 PM

Go one step further....do exactly as above but hold the shift key while tapping F10 (or F9) a whole buncha times. Wheeeeee!

BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2004, 10:22 PM

It's also use for film negative processing.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 10:55 PM

When you're ready, click again to close the dock menu.
OSX does John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever.

Cipher13
Feb 14, 2004, 03:17 AM

BTW, the black-on-white comes in very handy when wardriving at night or something

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2004, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
No, minimize a different window (shift-click for slow-mo), not the terminal one. Then hit enter in the terminal as the other window is minimizing.
Doesn't work in 10.3.3 anymore, apparently. It won't minimize the window.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2004, 05:38 PM

since shift seems to slow down osX animation. i played around and i found that in the system preferences you can hold shift and click on groups and it slows the resize and fade in/out.

looks very cool

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2004, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by mdc:
since shift seems to slow down osX animation. i played around and i found that in the system preferences you can hold shift and click on groups and it slows the resize and fade in/out.

looks very cool
Heh... that's crazy...

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2004, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by BurpetheadX:
It's also use for film negative processing.
hmmm. Thanks! great tip

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 09:35 AM

mdc:

Sorry to be dense, but I'm not sure which preferences pane you mean when you say, "you can hold shift and click on groups" -- There is no overall "System Preferences" (except "Show all" - in which I find nothing labeled "groups").

Clarification?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2004, 11:20 AM

sorry for being so vague.

let me try again.
open system preferences > hold shift > click on *any* of the icons in there _other_ than the "show all" one

Ratm
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 12:21 PM

you evil person..U. But if you hit F11....now you have something.

Forum Links
Forum Rules