Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HP 970Cxi Printer sharing with PC..?

HP 970Cxi Printer sharing with PC..?
iPaulD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2000, 03:15 PM

Please can someone advise me if I can plug my iMac DVSE into the USB connection of my HP970Cxi printer, whilst a PC is connected to the parallel connection of the same printer. Will this work.
I've been unable to get an answer from HP and unable to plug and play in this regard. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks Paul

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2000, 11:00 PM

I have an HP 970 Cse and while I can't find my documentation right now, I think I remember reading that it only recognizes one port at a time. I'm not certain, and will try to find the manuals to see If I'm right or if I'm just imagining it.

MiamiMac
Aug 29, 2000, 02:46 PM

I have the same setup:
1 970Cxi connected to the iMac DVSE via USB & a PeeCee via parallel. The printer recognizes the machine that prints to it FIRST. If you would like to switch machines, simply turn off the printer and turn it back on. Then you just print from either machine.

MSchienle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2000, 10:02 AM

If the previous suggestions don't work out, take a look at HP's JetDirect 300X print server. It's essentially an ethernet to parallel converter. I have one for my HP 970Cse that connects to my entire network of Macs (some running VPC, but not sure that's relevant). What you end up doing is printing to an ethernet device (the print server), which then connects to the printer over the parallel port. You see the printer just as before, but it's now a networked printer.

------------------
Mike Schienle
Mike Schienle

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2000, 07:23 PM

The 300x is a great print server, but a little pricey.

If this is just for home, buy a used HP EXPlus print server for about $80.

It works great for my HP 890 with just a parallel port.

drewman

ctpeterson
Aug 31, 2000, 08:17 PM

It will only work with one of the ports, I do tech support for printers abd the 970 will either go parallel or USB. Why not go USB on the PC and then just swap ou the cable when you need to print? USB is easy that way.
Mac=Life
iMac 266 320MB OS 10.3
MacBook Core 2 Duo 10.4
http://petersoninidaho.blogspot.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules