Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MS Remote Desktop Connection - after several years maybe and update coming for OS X?

MS Remote Desktop Connection - after several years maybe and update coming for OS X?
Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2006, 02:21 PM

I love my Mac as much as the next guy. But like many, I'm forced to use Windows on a daily basis. I'm a software developer and use MS Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) to connect to several of my development VM's that are on a Windows XP box. (I don't have an Intel-based Mac yet, so I can't use Parallels... and Virtual PC is out of the question.) One thing that has always bugged me about RDC is that it doesn't support ClearType font smoothing, so the fonts look like crap. Occasionally, I'll google "RDC ClearType" just to see if I can find out anything new. Just the other day I stumbled upon a post in an MS developer blog saying that with Vista, RDC for windows will support ClearType font smoothing. I sent the developer and email asking him what was going on with RDC for OS X. To my surprise, he immediately responded:

"We continue to work on the client for the Mac but we haven’t made any announcements about releasing an updated version."

So now he's got my hopes up... maybe just maybe they'll release a new version.

philc
Nov 19, 2006, 02:51 PM

Maybe as a group we need to put some pressure on them to release a new version? Let them know that there a great number of us who use the application. In my case I manage a bunch of Windows servers at work and prefer to use my Mac and RDC from home rather than bringing home my PC laptop.

One huge issue I have is connecting to multiple servers at the same time. I was finally able to do this by using a 3rd part added on called 'rdcmenu' (www.xutils.com).

I also don't know why they make console connections like an undocumented feature (hit command while connecting) instead of a simple checkbox.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2007, 05:10 AM

This is the first time I have tried Remote Desktop Client. It's pretty cool, for something that allows me to technically pollute my G5 with Windows. I have two questions right now:

1. How do I make sure I'm secured from hackers when I have the server turned on? I figured out that logging out of the account that has it enabled will prevent connections, but other than having both machines behind a firewall is there anything else to know?
2. Does it run at all on Rosetta? (just curious)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

DarwinX
Mar 23, 2007, 12:40 PM

Big Mac,

I use RDC on my Intel iMac, so yes, it does work on Rosetta. Hope that helps.

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2007, 03:21 PM

I hope Microsoft releases a Universal version with the new Universal Office.

-a

Forum Links
Forum Rules