Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Found the perfect MAPI Client

Found the perfect MAPI Client
Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2008, 11:23 AM

I've been using the Exchange Server along with a Blackberry and have always wanted an equivalent of Outlook on the Mac.

Today I found it- Outlook 2007 running on Codeweaver's upcoming CrossOver 7.0. I know I could always Parallels or Fusion but that required running the entire windows O/S that would increase CPU utilization which would not only make by MacBook Pro quite hot but also lower the battery life and increase RAM usage.

The previous version of CrossOver only allowed Office 2003 which is also a great subsitute but I hated the fact that fonts were not anti-aliased which made the program look horrible- especially since you're dealing with so much text and part of being a Mac user is appreciating beauty.

The upcoming version supports Office 2007 which has built-in font smoothing making it look quite nice. I am an official beta tester and am liking the new beta very much. Even Word 2007 and Excel 2007 are better than the "2008" Mac versions and launch times are almost the same
( Last edited by Abbas; May 24, 2008 at 11:30 AM. )

Cold Warrior
May 24, 2008, 11:54 AM

I'm interested.

Can you post any screenshots?

How is RAM and CPU utilization, both idle and in use?

What's launch time like?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2008, 01:23 PM

interesting. Whats new in 7.0?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Abbas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2008, 04:03 PM

Besides the fact that its based on the latest version of Wine, I dont really know if I can disclose any information. CPU utilization while Outlook 2007 was running was about 2-4% for wine as per activity monitor.

Cold Warrior
Jun 17, 2008, 07:31 PM

Alright, so I downloaded Crossover 7 -- fresh out today -- along with the trail version of Office 2007. Installed only Outlook 2007, it started up fine and I got the config wizard to configure email accounts. But nothing works. I tried setting up my gmail IMAP account. Settings, ports, protocols, etc. are all correct. It simply won't check or even get any of the mail folders.

What gives?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2008, 12:16 AM

Temporary solution until 10.6 :-P

Forum Links
Forum Rules