Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Suggest a hard drive for 15" 2.2 GHz MBP

Suggest a hard drive for 15" 2.2 GHz MBP
safetyobc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2010, 09:47 AM

I currently have the original 160 GB HDD in my machine. I want to upgrade to at least a 500 GB but wouldn't mind having a 1TB if I can find one at the right price. However, I think 500 GB would be enough for future proofing, at least for my current needs. Prefer 7200 RPM.

My Mac is a 2.2 GHz Macbook Pro 15" (Santa Rosa).

Any suggestions for a good quality hard drive (with links if possible).

Thanks,

Matt

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2010, 09:57 AM

Your laptop requires:

1. A 2.5" laptop size drive;

2. With an SATA interface;

3. A drive that does not feature a motion sensor (because those drives conflict with the MacBook's own motion sensor)

Oh, and I don't think laptop drives have hit 1 TB just yet.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

-Q-
Jul 8, 2010, 10:05 AM

There is one 1TB that I've found, but it's 5400 RPM:

Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD10TPVT 1TB 5200 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I've had very good luck with Seagate drives personally.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 8, 2010, 12:46 PM

The limiting factor here is going to be drive height. Some MBPs (my original version, for example), require 9.5mm or shorter drives, while others may accept taller drives. Do a little research on the drive that's in your machine now, and you may find out that it's a 9mm drive-which means you need to stick with that height. So far as I could find, all the 1TB laptop drives, including the WD Scorpio -Q- points out, are still 12mm tall.

I upgraded this '06 MBP with a Seagate Momentus 500GB, 7200RPM drive a while back, up from 100GB. It's awesome! And this drive costs $75 at Newegg right now.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2010, 02:43 PM

How about this one? They say it has SSD performance with standard drive size?
I am just getting thoughts on this too because I am thinking about it for my MBP 15 C2D 2.53
Seagate Momentus XT (500GB) Hard Drive prices and reviews - CNET Reviews
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2010, 04:42 PM

Surprised no-one has mentioned, your Santa Rosa MBP requires a 9.5mm drive. The 12.5mm units will not fit.
Biggest available is 640GB. WD and Samsung do these, there may be others. The 750GB and 1TB laptop drives are too big for the non-unibody MacBook Pros.

The XT mentioned is gonna be faster than any regular 7200 drive. You will pay a little more for it though.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 9, 2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Surprised no-one has mentioned, your Santa Rosa MBP requires a 9.5mm drive. The 12.5mm units will not fit
I mentioned this possibility two posts up, but I didn't have the tech data to say for sure. Thanks for clarifying.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2010, 07:51 PM

I just went out looking for the seagate at best buy, but it appears to not be at retail
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 9, 2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
I just went out looking for the seagate at best buy, but it appears to not be at retail
I generally don't expect to find great deals on things like hard drives at Best Buy. I got my Momentus through NewEgg-and got a deal too.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I generally don't expect to find great deals on things like hard drives at Best Buy. I got my Momentus through NewEgg-and got a deal too.
Best buy had a bunch of Seagate HDD's, but none of the XT's
Thanks, I will check New Egg.

safetyobc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2010, 10:34 PM

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 1, 2010, 11:29 PM

Apparently that drive is NOT 9.5mm, so it will not fit in many Apple Laptops.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 2, 2010, 06:25 AM

Hitachi says it's a 9.5mm drive... (Click on "Specifications.")

safetyobc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2010, 11:09 AM

So I assume this one will work too Newegg.com - HITACHI Travelstar 7K320 HTS723232L9A360 (0A57547) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I am thinking of getting the 320 GB 7200 RPM drive and also buying 4 GB of RAM for my MBP. I have enough $$ for either the 500 GB drive, or the 320 drive and the RAM. I am currently at 8 GB Free Memory on the 160. So I would think the 320 would be enough for at least a couple more years.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 2, 2010, 08:06 PM

The 7K320 is also listed as being 9.5mm thick.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2010, 08:15 PM

safetyobc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2010, 09:44 PM

Do you guys think I will see "noticable" performance between the 5400 RPM and the 7200 RPM. If not, then I can swing the $60 500 GB 5400. If there will be a noticable difference then I will go with the 320 GB 7200 RPM.

Thanks.

safetyobc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2010, 10:32 PM

Can someone please tell me if this drive will fit in my MBP 2.2GHz. I need to know ASAP cuz the deal will be gone in a few hours!

Thx.

Newegg.com - HITACHI Travelstar H2IK5001672SP (0S02858) 500GB 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2010, 03:12 PM

I can't find anywhere quoting the height of this drive. I suspect it will fit ok, most of the 12mm 500GBs disappeared a couple of years ago. It will work, just have to hope it will fit. And like I say, it should.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

safetyobc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2010, 09:42 PM

Thanks for all the help. I ended up getting the 320 GB model. It's double what I have now and will likely last me a while. If not, I'll pick up another when I need it. Now to research swapping the drives!

Thanks again!

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2010, 10:36 AM

Best tip on switching the drives:

print out 2 copies of the directions from ifixit.com. Use one of the copies for taping the screws onto their illustrated locations (clear tape). That way you're sure to return them to their correct location and it's easy to verify that you haven't forgotten a screw.

-Q-
Aug 5, 2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Best tip on switching the drives:

print out 2 copies of the directions from ifixit.com. Use one of the copies for taping the screws onto their illustrated locations (clear tape). That way you're sure to return them to their correct location and it's easy to verify that you haven't forgotten a screw.
iFixit.com's guide was excellent. It made swapping drives quite painless when I did it a few months ago. Although I used a small ice tray to hold the various screws and that seemed to work well.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 5, 2010, 01:57 PM

I upgraded my MBP using ifixit's instructions-and changed the AirPort card at the same time. Very well written and illustrated instructions, very easy to follow. I did something similar to amazing's suggestion to manage screws too-the first gen MBP has a bajillion different types of screws in different locations, and managing them was a good part of the challenge of my drive swap.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2010, 09:39 PM

In regards to the ice cube tray solution, I always worry about remembering which cube goes back into which screw hole...

I always figure it's best to make it as brainless as possible, and just recycle the extra paper afterwords...

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 6, 2010, 07:27 AM

I numbered the specific screw references in the instructions and put the screws in numbered little plastic bags. Ice cube trays can spill, but a closed ziplock bag is hard to mess up.

safetyobc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2010, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.

My Applecare ends in October. I already have the drive in hand, but don't want to void my warranty by changing it out. And knowing my luck, I'll change the drive and next month something major will happen. So I'll likely wait it out til October before switching the drives.

Thanks again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules