Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Can I use free local Wifi on my iPhone when I'm in another country?

Can I use free local Wifi on my iPhone when I'm in another country?
heyotwell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2008, 01:43 PM

I'm going to Canada (from the US) in a few days and want to bring my iPhone. I plan to turn off Data Roaming and I won't make any calls while there. I want to make sure I don't pay huge charges.

But I still want to use my iPhone for web browsing and maps while there. Can I still use free local Wifi (like that provided by my hotel in Canada) without any data charges? I'm not using AT&T's network when I do that, so it seems to me that it should cost me nothing. Anyone know for sure?

This page gives "tips" about this, but isn't totally clear:
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/in...ravel-tips.jsp

To be clear: this isn't a technical question, it's a cost question.

I know that I'd have no problem connecting to a Wifi (802.11) network anywhere, the question is: is it going to run up my AT&T bill?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2008, 02:03 PM

Can I still use free local Wifi (like that provided by my hotel in Canada) without any data charges?
Yes

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2008, 02:06 PM

Yes. You can even use WiFi when you're in airplane mode. On the iPhone WiFi is totally detached from the cell phone network.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2008, 04:09 PM

Also, if you do want to make calls while you're up here download and install TruPhone for the iPhone. You can make cheap VoIP calls from whatever free WIFI network you can find. You can't receive calls on TruPhone, but you can call the US for 3 cents a minute, free if the number you're calling is also a TruPhone member.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2008, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yes. You can even use WiFi when you're in airplane mode. On the iPhone WiFi is totally detached from the cell phone network.
I totally never knew this until tonight - this is so cool. Every time I have turned on airplane mode (which I do every day, since when I am work there is no reception in the building, and the phone searches for a cellular signal all day, draining the battery), it shuts off wifi - but you can manually turn it back on and stay in airplane mode - SO COOL. Thanks for the tip-

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2008, 02:08 AM

You're welcome.

It works exactly that way. When you turn airplane mode on it turns all radios off. But you can manually turn wifi back on and it will stay on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules