Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 12inch 1ghz (are they improved over previous versions)

New 12inch 1ghz (are they improved over previous versions)
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2003, 07:32 PM

Do the current 12 inch choices improve on the previous version in these areas:

- Is the screen brighter than before or is it the same?

- Can you put more memory in there?

- Is the HEAT ISSUE gone, reduced, still the same?

Thank you.

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2003, 07:55 PM

bnrightness is about the same

heat is greatly improved

yes, there is now 256 megs of ram built in.. so you can add a single 512 for 768 or if you have the scratch they also accept single 1 gig modules as well.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2003, 07:58 PM

From other comments on the forums...

1) The screen is probably the same. But some think it's brighter.

2) You can put 128MB more RAM in it because it has 256MB on the motherboard, versus 128MB on the older Powerbook. The new powerbook maxes out at 1280MB while the older Powerbook maxes out at 1152MB.

3) I've heard it's cooler.

Chris

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2003, 08:28 PM

The screen is the same

just 128 more possible ram for a total of 1.25

and yes, the heat issue has been corrected. Mine barely even gets warm, even when plugged in, let along anywhere near hot. but i have felt how hot the old ones get, and trust me, it is not even close. I don't know what they did, but they fixed it and fixed it good.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2003, 11:14 PM

I've owned both and wrote an in-depth review comparing them right here: Click HERE...Enjoy!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2003, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
I've owned both and wrote an in-depth review comparing them right here: Click HERE...Enjoy!
thanks for the link.

Okay more questions.

I own an ibook 500. I think I bought it when it first came out as it has a 10GB hd, Cd-rom, 576 max ram... so I think I got the first batch.

With so many Rev A problems, this ibook has been flawlass to my knowledge. Best computer I ever owned.

It runs super cool, due to the G3 chip.

So on a scale of 1 (ice cold) to 10 (hot as hell)
I give my ibook a 4 (almost warm) when it gets as hot as it can.

I would give the Rev A 12 inch that I used in the store a 9 (burn my fingers).

What would you give the current 12 inch?

Anyone own the ibook and moved on to the current 12 inch care to chime in?

-- Do you think it is worth it to get the superdrive on this machine?

-- Does the powerbook work in clamshell mode. I was at Tekserve trying to figure it out on the powerbooks, but I would close the ibook, it would go to sleep and the external monitor would as well. So do you need a keyboard plugged in to use the computer in closed lid operation?

-- I want to do editing on Final Cut Pro 4 and Soundtrack.

I've edited a feature film on my ibook using FCP 3and my sony camcorder and you know what, it worked fine. More screen would be nice, but at the same time, I love using my ibook for all the other tasks.

I don't edit all the time. I'd say 10 percent of my time. When I make a short film or hopefully when I make a feature.

thinking I shoudl get a computer to address 90% of what I do which is type screenplays, e-mails, and surf the web.

I love the new keyboard.

thinking I should get the 12inch (which is basically the upgrade ibook 500 which I love) and then buy an external monitor, keyboard so when I edit, I have more space.

I could get a used G4 tower for less than a new 12 powerbook, but in 2 years, I could probbaly still get good money for my powerbook on e-bay, while my tower would be worth far less since by then we will have a G5 up to 5ghz dual crap.

Wow that was a long post. I've been all over the map, but I always loved the 12 inch, but I couldn't get over the heat issue as I type a lot and my hands rest on the left pad a lot.

But if it's gone, I'm happy as a pig in sh*t.

-- I thought of one more thing. How does the screen of the ibook compare with the powerbook in brightness?

doubtingtom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2003, 11:17 AM

If you are still raving, I would think about getting a Powermac, like a high end dual G4 for a nice discount and keep your iBook. If the iBook is meeting most of you needs, it is nice to have a portable, and a desktop for the real photo editing.

But I also have a 12 inch rev. B, so my vote goes for both.
12 Powerbook rev. B
17 LCD

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2003, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
I've been following threads on the RevB 12" at several Mac sites and consider AssassyN's linked review to be just about the best and last word on the subject.

And to respectfully disagree with a few of the posters in this thread, I've used a RevA 867MHz and RevB 1GHz 12" side by side for comparison, and the screen on the RevB is unquestionably superior in both brightness and clarity. It's just a tiny step behind the new 15"s and 17"s, but a good step better than the last iteration 12."
( Last edited by C-Bear; Oct 19, 2003 at 02:50 PM. )
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

rgl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2003, 02:27 PM

I upgraded from a 12-inch 800mhz iBook to a rev B 12-inch PB so I may be able to shed some light on this for you...

The PB runs warmer than my iBook, but not by a lot. On your scale, I'd give the PB a 6.

Of course, the PB is much faster for graphics work and the keyboard is nicer -- bigger keys and more solid-feeling.

But the iBook got better battery life -- 3.5-4 hours compared to my PB's 3-3.5 hours, and its Airport range was better. So if these things are most important to you, you may want to stick with your iBook.

The best thing about the PB? It's just so COOL!!! But then again, iBooks are pretty cool, too.
1 ghz 12-inch PowerBook, 512 MB
RAM, Combo Drive

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2003, 03:39 PM

Been using the rev b 12" for about 2 weeks, its fantastic.

Memory is as above, I think the sweet spot for this machine is 768 - adding a 512 stick is a good balance between cost/benefit.

As for the heat, every rev a I saw in the apple stores was SCORCHING - really really unacceptably hot. This machine is WARM, not hot. Much improved, its actually a nice toasty warm as the weather gets colder here - but not uncomfortable like the rev a's-

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Commodus
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 03:56 PM

One thing to be advised about: if you order a 12" PowerBook now or in the future, you'll be able to get Panther. Panther is apparently extending battery life significantly (what I've seen suggests that you gain about 30 to 60 minutes more). 3.5 to 4 hours (or more) on something that small? I'd take that.
 24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

michael_on_mac
Oct 20, 2003, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by LeeG:

This machine is WARM, not hot. Much improved, its actually a nice toasty warm as the weather gets colder here - but not uncomfortable like the rev a's-
I second this experience.

Unfortunately, the fan is constantly on while plugged-in, and yes, it could be a little more quiet. There is minor influence of the processor speed setting: with "low" speed, it's simply a little later when it comes on the first time. Running on battery, Apple somehow admits a little more heat buildup (from processor temperature reading), therefore the fan comes on now and then, which I like better than having this low sound constantly.

That said, I believe there is some room for improvements from the software side, maybe a better power management in Panther relieves things.

After all, the fan noise is not really bad, the sound is just getting a little bit nerving after running all the time.

Best,
Michael.
12" Al PB Rev. B, SD, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB disk, OS X 10.3.1. IBM TP A30p with Linux 2.4.20 for serious stuff ;-)

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by C-Bear:
I've been following threads on the RevB 12" at several Mac sites and consider AssassyN's linked review to be just about the best and last word on the subject.

And to respectfully disagree with a few of the posters in this thread, I've used a RevA 867MHz and RevB 1GHz 12" side by side for comparison, and the screen on the RevB is unquestionably superior in both brightness and clarity. It's just a tiny step behind the new 15"s and 17"s, but a good step better than the last iteration 12."
we have both 12" rev's in my house and the A is better than the B....

I view both under many lighting conditions daily and I still think the A is slightly better...

beauty lies in the eye of the beholder...

lates...

drloomis
Oct 21, 2003, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by rgl:
I upgraded from a 12-inch 800mhz iBook to a rev B 12-inch PB so I may be able to shed some light on this for you...

The PB runs warmer than my iBook, but not by a lot. On your scale, I'd give the PB a 6.

Of course, the PB is much faster for graphics work and the keyboard is nicer -- bigger keys and more solid-feeling.

But the iBook got better battery life -- 3.5-4 hours compared to my PB's 3-3.5 hours, and its Airport range was better. So if these things are most important to you, you may want to stick with your iBook.

The best thing about the PB? It's just so COOL!!! But then again, iBooks are pretty cool, too.
So how long does it take before it gets hot? 1 hour?
--------------------
I shot him six times!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 01:28 AM

not the so much the time...

more dependent on if you are doing processor intensive tasks..

lates...

michael_on_mac
Oct 21, 2003, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by drloomis:
So how long does it take before it gets hot? 1 hour?
About 20 min from cold start when just fiddling around with Finder and Safari.

Michael.
12" Al PB Rev. B, SD, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB disk, OS X 10.3.1. IBM TP A30p with Linux 2.4.20 for serious stuff ;-)

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2003, 09:25 AM

Just got my rev b 12" yesterday after a 3 week wait. And I am not disappointed with it at all No dead pixels. And barely gets any warmer, if at all, than my old iBook 600. So, warm, but certainly not hot, or any kind of a problem in the slightest.
Old iBook still pisses all over the 12" pb when it comes to battery life though. But I expected that. I also took iBook and 12" pb for a stroll around the house to check AirPort performance, and the iBook was generally a little better there too. Having on average maybe a 10-15% better signal strength reception than the 12" pb rev b. But the little pb still works fine all over the house, so it's plenty good enough for me
Damn nice little Mac..

PS, yes I know this isnt a comparison with a 12" Rev a, but hopefully made for worthwhile reading anyway
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

popstand
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2003, 10:04 AM

Hey Y'all,
has anybody tried playing Warcraft III on the new 12". Mine gets plenty hot and the fan kicks in pretty quick when I play it. However, it doesn't get very hot at all when doing things that generally require a lot of typing, which is when you'd have the biggest problem. I seem to remember the revA being hot just sitting there doing nothing, while this one requires some intensive processor use to get cooking. Therefore it is definitely an improvement, I can write e-mails and word process comfortably for hours, and the other stuff doesn't require me to have my palm on the left rest for long enough for it to get uncomfortable.

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 10:14 AM

I am also a rev B 12 owner. I already answered most of your questions, but I also have a small review I wrote up at

www.bryantsdesign.com/Main

Forum Links
Forum Rules