Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iChat supports USB webcams, which will you buy?

iChat supports USB webcams, which will you buy?
Recontech
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 01:42 AM

I'm looking for a good webcam to buy for iChat AV. My 360 X-box vision cam works great but I want something that will be mountable on my powerbook.

What would you get and why?
Blackhole Forums

Discuss Computers, Technology, Philosophy

dylanw
Mar 15, 2007, 01:15 PM

There's a big list of USB cameras on the macam site which lists several UVC cameras which should work OK under 10.4.9. It lists a bunch of Logitech cameras that should work, and which would certainly be much more powerbook-friendly than the XBox camera. I think I've heard of some issues with regard to Logitech's UVC compliance, so if you decide to try it, it might be worth it to get one from some place with a good return policy.

I was delighted that with 10.4.9, the XBox camera I bought on a whim last month seems to work properly, and it actually kind of matches the styling of my iMac.

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2007, 03:57 PM

I like the Logitech QuickCam Ultravision since it uses a glass lens and is one of the few webcam's out there that can mount onto a 30" cinema display Webcams > QuickCam� Ultra Vision

rajeshr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2007, 07:07 PM

How do you find the sound quality on the Quickcam Ultravision?

I'm looking for something to mount on my 23" ACD - my other choice is the Logitech Quickcam Fusion. It's on sale right now for about a third of the price of the Ultravision (C$70 vs C$200).
----------------------------------------------------
iMac Core Duo 2.0Ghz
Macbook Pro Core Duo 1.83Ghz
----------------------------------------------------

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2007, 08:01 PM

I bought an iSight when they first came out. I know it isn't cheap nor is it USB but it works very well and has amazing image quality.

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2007, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
I bought an iSight when they first came out. I know it isn't cheap nor is it USB but it works very well and has amazing image quality.
Well, the iSight's are even MORE expensive now. On eBay, going rate for an iSight is above the $129 original price.

-Bn

rjt1000
Senior User
Mar 17, 2007, 11:39 AM

Here is a list of UVC webcams excerpted from the Macam list above:

Creative Live! Cam Optia
Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Pro (new)
Logitech QuickCam Fusion (new)
Logitech QuickCam Orbit/Sphere MP (new)
Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000 (new)
Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision
Microsoft LifeCam NX-6000
Microsoft Xbox Live Vision (Xbox 360)
Pico Instruments iMage

Anyone who has used one of the above, could you post a short review: specifically whether they work with iChat in OS 10.4.9 and with Skype 2.5 for Mac?

Rev2liv: have you tried out the Logitech QuickCam Ultravision & does it work with iChat and Skype?

Hopefully Apple will eventually come up with a list of UVC webcams known to be compatible with iChat and the new 10.4.9 OS update.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2007, 09:44 PM

I just bought the QuickCam for Notebooks Pro and it does indeed work with iChat AV and Skype. It's pretty sweet actually, I had been thinking about going for an iSight but now I'm glad I held off. BestBuy had it for $50, and it came with a $10 gift card. I think it's awesome. The video is much better than some of the other cheaper ones I tried (and returned). My friend said the audio quality was just as good as the internal mic on the PowerBook, if not perhaps a little better. The thing is tiny and has a spring clip on it so it attaches to the PB lid and doesn't weigh it down (trying to keep that 4 year old hinge working well :-).

Thats my short review. I really like it. Thanks to Apple for the software update to finally give us some options for iChat!

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2007, 12:25 AM

The UltraVision definitely works in Skype and iChat AV, but end users report that the color tone is funky and i haven't yet found a way to adjust it. It may just be the lighting in my home affecting the ability of the webcam to render color.

The ultravision is about the same size as the iSight but mounts transverse on top of the monitor creating a minor eye sore.

Mr_E
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2007, 08:55 AM

I picked one up Friday for $40. As I'd heard, it work great after the latest OS update. Tested in Skype and iChat.
I'm just using a bluetooth headset for the mic, but I'll probably pick up a cheap stand-alone mic later.
I even matches the resst of my setup.

A little funky with photobooth.

rjt1000
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_E View Post
I picked one up Friday for $40. As I'd heard, it work great after the latest OS update. Tested in Skype and iChat.
I'm just using a bluetooth headset for the mic, but I'll probably pick up a cheap stand-alone mic later.

Thanks for the info, but which cam are you referring to?

Mr_E
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2007, 09:07 AM

sorry, was talking about the x-box cam, which it seems you have.

How about this?

Live! Cam Optia - Stylish and feature packed in one neat package!

Any camera that is "Vista Certified" should also be USB Video Class certified, which will work. Thats's the key, it must be UVC - it will usually specify it's "driverless" on the box.

bdaul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2007, 01:32 AM

http://www.human-landscaping.com/tes...tech-shot.tiff

I see all these notes about the latest Ultra Vision working well with MacBook Pro 10.4.9 OS. The above picture is from the webcam...looks like the viewer has taken LSD. I see no controls to change camera settings.

The image is from iChat.

ALSO...should I be able to use the Ultra Vision with iMovie? iMovie doesn't give me the choice of iSight and USB connected camera...JUST iSight.

HELP!?!?

Thanks, --bill

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2007, 06:44 AM

Any camera that is "Vista Certified" should also be USB Video Class certified, which will work. Thats's the key, it must be UVC - it will usually specify it's "driverless" on the box.
I don't think so - Logitech's cheapest webcam, the QuickCam Chat, says it's Vista Certified on its product page:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=11635

However, Logitech's support page for UVC specifically states that it is not UVC-compliant:

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/...p?p_faqid=5336

It's kind of discouraging, because all the UVC-compliant cameras seem to be almost as expensive as the iSight used to be. The cheapest one I've been able to find so far has been the Xbox one. Does anyone know if that camera's quality is any good (at least, better than that screenshot of the UltraVision above)?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

bohdanz
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2007, 02:22 AM

What bluetooch mic are you using?

I can't get my Motorola bluetooth headset to work with Skype no matter what I've tried.

Thanks in advance for your help.

sherman94062
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2007, 09:28 PM

I have the same problem getting iMovie to recognize the Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision, anyone get this working? Note that the camera works fine with iChat ...

ErinJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2007, 11:15 AM

I am thinking about buying one of the cams from the site below. Any suggestions on the best one? They seem to be cheap and I am going to purchase my HDMI, and Optic cables from them so before I order I thought I would ask.

Webcams - In-Stock - Quick Shipping

Thanks in advance,

DocMacPS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2007, 05:52 PM

10 months have passed since the original posting here. Identifying UVC compliant Apple Macintosh compatible USB webcams remains a pain. Logitech continues to utterly confuse the marketplace with dozens of cam variations only a few of which are UVC, and ONLY discerned by the model and PART # of very select models.

I'm trying to maintain a SHORT list of It-Just-Works UVC models here at: http://mac-compatible-web-cam.com/ - as well as address common questions & problems especially with folks running multiple chat apps at a time, having more than one camera, etc.

Maybe the uptake of Microsoft Windows Vista PC's this Xmas will finally kick Vista's driverless support of UVC cameras to the bigger marketplace - and Macintosh users on Tiger 10.4.x and up will eventually benefit from more than only a half-dozen CLEAR-CUT UVC cams to choose from.
( Last edited by DocMacPS; Jan 3, 2008 at 04:14 AM. Reason: clarification)

Samiz32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2008, 02:28 PM

someone please help meee!
i have no fancy words to ask this question in, and i dont know all that much about this stuff but..
i have a Macbook, i want a webcam to work with my msn. i have the Mercury version, but the picture on the built in cam isn't brilliant. i want a logitech one, but do any of them work? if so which ones!
Thankyou!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rev2Liv View Post
Well, the iSight's are even MORE expensive now. On eBay, going rate for an iSight is above the $129 original price.

-Bn
I sold my original iSight for $220 a few months ago.

I remember buying it the first week it came out. Never thought I would get so much for it on eBay.

You can't beat the quality of an iSight though. Apple made one heck of a webcam. Only reason I got rid of mine was because my new Macbook Pro had one built in.

Cold Warrior
Jan 7, 2008, 10:07 PM

Check out macam as a way to use 3rd-party webcams with your Mac. I've seen it allow Skype 2.7b to use a Logitech Quickcam Express (a low-quality webcam) for video chat. I don't know if macam will work with MSN to allow other webcams.

macam 0.9.1 - MacUpdate

Macam's website has a list of camera compatibility. Again -- not sure how MSN will work with macam & other webcams.

Forum Links
Forum Rules