Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Ridiculous HP tech support

Ridiculous HP tech support
bohdanz
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2008, 10:16 AM

The new 24" HP monitor with HDMI looked great at a new media conference I attended last week. But it was running off a PC computer. So I read a review on a retail site and couldn't find anything about interoperability with Macs. Took two days to get this ridiculous response from HP:

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

I understand that you wish to HP Pavilion w2408h Monitor on your Mac Operating System.

I regret to inform you that we at HP email support team doesn't have tested information on Mac OS as we are not supporting Mac. To resolve the issue I recommend you to contact technical support of Apple Inc.
However for your convenience I am providing you the product specifications of HP Pavilion w2408h monitor in the below weblink. The weblink link is as follows:

HP Pavilion w2408h Monitor�-� Product Specifications�

NOTE: Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is
invalid. If this occurs, copy the portion of the address
on the remaining line(s) and paste it at the end of the
address showing in your browser until the complete address
is displayed in the Address box.

I believe you can understand my scope of support and limitations in this regard. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. HP values the relationship with its customers. Please feel free to contact us if you experience any issue in future or have any concern. We would be glad to assist you further.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our Web site at:
HP Total Care

Sincerely,

Bryan
HP Total Care

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2008, 10:45 AM

I don't understand why you have an interoperability concern.

Buy a $5 DVI-HDMI adapter and go for it.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2008, 10:56 AM

‘Bryan,’ yeah right.

bohdanz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2008, 01:32 PM

what I asked in my original email to HP support was whether the pivot/portrait feature works on a Mac. Someone on newegg.com wrote in their user comment that it required an HP unlock (something that sounds suspect.)

So I thought my question to HP was easy and direct.
Instead the usual 'talk to Apple tech' response.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2008, 01:59 PM

Every time I have to deal with HP tech support regarding a network printer they always ask if I am using a Mac or a PC. When I tell them both, they get confused. It is a network printer! It is configured through a web browser. And the problem I am calling about is the fuser or the transport belt or something that has nothing to do with anyone's operating system. Makes me nuts.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2008, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by bohdanz View Post
what I asked in my original email to HP support was whether the pivot/portrait feature works on a Mac. Someone on newegg.com wrote in their user comment that it required an HP unlock (something that sounds suspect.)

So I thought my question to HP was easy and direct.
Instead the usual 'talk to Apple tech' response.
HP's answer is correct; it's Apple's problem, not theirs. The monitor draws whatever signal it's given.

FYI on OS X the ATi Radeon and Intel GMA drivers support rotation while the nVidia GeForce drivers do not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules