Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Will there be Win XP SP3 or just buy SP2

Will there be Win XP SP3 or just buy SP2
bohdanz
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2008, 07:29 PM

I need to buy WinXP before end of June.
Read Microsoft's releasing SP3 but can't see that it's retail available (or is it just for computer manufacturers.)

If not assume SP2 will work just fine with Fusion?

Thanks in advance.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 23, 2008, 09:49 PM

I don't think MS will issue a version of XP with SP3; they're talking about ending all support for XP, so pressing the discs wouldn't be their style.

Getting a copy of XP with SP2 in it is more than sufficient. All you really get with SP3 is all the latest updates and some slight product improvements on certain built in stuff. Unlike SP2, which was really a whole new version of the OS, SP3 really is a "service pack."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bohdanz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2008, 12:31 AM

I've decided to install Win XP on my Macbook Pro to use a few Windows apps:

1. Naturally Speaking (I've read too many varying opinions of Macspeech's Dictate to shell out the $200 on a beta 1 app)
2. Quicken
3. Quicken Willmaker

I've used Moneydance on Mac but miss Quicken (the Windows version)

Thanks for your advice.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I don't think MS will issue a version of XP with SP3; they're talking about ending all support for XP, so pressing the discs wouldn't be their style.
Where'd you get all this from? MS will continue to sell XP for at least another 2 years and may support it beyond that. I wouldn't be surprised to see SP3 pressed disks, but I haven't seen a release date yet.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 24, 2008, 12:08 PM

My college book store says that they don't expect to ever see an SP3 OS disc, and I don't think it has anything to do with our campus-level agreement. While I'm hoping that they keep XP alive for more than two more years, I don't think that SP3 install discs will hit the market for a while, at least at the consumer level.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2008, 12:48 PM

M$ really wants to kill XP off. Many people say that as Windows releases go, XP is M$'s best ever attempt; as competition for Vista it's too good. I highly doubt there will ever be an SP3.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

64stang06
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
M$ really wants to kill XP off. Many people say that as Windows releases go, XP is M$'s best ever attempt; as competition for Vista it's too good. I highly doubt there will ever be an SP3.
Windows XP SP3 Released to Manufacturing

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
it's already out

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2008, 01:39 PM

My guess is that as they burn new discs for the shelves, those discs will be SP3.

To the OP, getting SP2 will be fine for you, but you'll probably want to download SP3. Testers are reporting that SP3 results in a 10% performance boost.

moep
Senior User
Apr 24, 2008, 02:08 PM

XP is here to stay until Windows 7 is out or close to being released.
There are just way too many people unwilling to use their Windows ME-successor — and they know it.

As for the OP, the SP3 is a free upgrade for your XP-license. If you don't want the hassle of downloading SP3 every time you reinstall Windows, you could always slipstream SP3 yourself.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2008, 02:15 PM

Honestly, I think the Windows OS path of a new OS every 2-3 years (5 in the case of Vista) is over. They should move to the Mac model of releasing an incremental update every year.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2008, 03:31 PM

XP will be in extended support through 2014 and Dell reportedly commented to customers that they'll continue selling it through 2012. Why would they keep pressing SP2c disks for another 4 years?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 24, 2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
XP will be in extended support through 2014 and Dell reportedly commented to customers that they'll continue selling it through 2012. Why would they keep pressing SP2c disks for another 4 years?
Did I miss this memo?

Last I read was that XP Pro was being killed off in June with Home sales continuing for the Eee PC and similar.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2008, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
That's the key word, support. Doesn't mean they will sell it past this June, which Ballmer even reiterated today.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 24, 2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
That's the key word, support. Doesn't mean they will sell it past this June, which Ballmer even reiterated today.
Thought so, so we're still screwed in not being able buy it after June unless we bulk buy a load of licenses now. Better get the remaining 2000 users off of it quickly and onto XP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules