Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > please help ! please !

please help ! please !
Shaman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2001, 04:36 AM

Is my G4 the only one computer in the world with this problem ?

I use factory dafault G4 450MP !
No devices attached, no extra RAM added, all firmware updates made.
making a clean install. and the first screen looks like this.

There is no problem working on it.The computer is very stable on 9.2.1, 10.0, 10.0.1, 10.0.3.
BUT !!!! 10.0.4 and 10.1 have this problem and i DO NOT KNOW what to do.

ANY ideas ?

Thanks in advice !

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2001, 06:44 AM

Does it also do it if you change screen settings? (both color and resolution).

Peter

Shaman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2001, 06:47 AM

all the settings :-(

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2001, 07:55 AM

Then I'm completely out of ideas

Good luck!
Peter

poket2s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2001, 10:31 AM

That is weird... I would try to do a low level reformat of your HD. There could be an invisible or deleted that is still conflicting with the OS. I had a simular strange experience when I up graded from 7.5 to 8... I lost the sound in my machine. Went back to 7.5 and still no sound. I figured that something was wrong with the hardward. It wasn't until I crashed hard and had to reformate my HD that the problem went away. That is why I do a clean install with a low level reformat when I do a major upgrade.

poket2s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2001, 10:38 AM

That is weird... I would try to do a low level reformat of your HD. There could be an invisible or deleted that is still conflicting with the OS. I had a simular strange experience when I up graded from 7.5 to 8... I lost the sound in my machine. Went back to 7.5 and still no sound. I figured that something was wrong with the hardward. It wasn't until I crashed hard and had to reformate my HD that the problem went away. That is why I do a clean install with a low level reformat when I do a major upgrade.

<Bill>
Oct 10, 2001, 03:10 PM

Microsoft would call it a feature.

<Gamrin>
Oct 10, 2001, 03:18 PM

I had a similar problem with my hard drive icon; it had black stripes through it that I couldn't get rid of. This happened immediately after I upgraded to 10.1. I tried every simple trick I knew (basic repasting the icon and such), then, in frustration, I logged out. After that, the icon was fixed and, since then, things have gone fine.

I would have automatically thought that you've tried logging out or restarting, but you didn't say whether or not you've done so. If doing this doesn't work, I'd vote for an OS reinstall.

Good luck,
Gamrin

Shaman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2001, 03:29 PM

I have reinstaled several times. Actualy this problem apeared first in 10.0.4. With format and without.. on a dafault HDD, on a brand new HDD (stand alone, without the original, and both).
This screenshot is on 10.0.4.. On 10.1 the situation is worse :-(
but similiar. I have asked the Apple people here in Bulgaria, but no one has idea why this is comming and how to fix it.
I begin thinking this is a hardware problem, but on 9.2.1, macosx 10.0, 10.0.1, 10.0.3 THERE IS NO PROBLEM AND THE MASHINE IS VERY STABLE !!!! Only 10.0.4 and up (10.1) !

P.S. besides this problem 10.1 is working well, but this makes me nuts :-(
P.S 2: Sorry ! this is a normal factory mashine G4/450MP, 128MB RAM, 30GB HDD, ATI 128PRO + 17" Apple Studio Display !

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: Shaman ]

ArloLeach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2001, 03:31 PM

Although I'm guessing this is a software issue, have you tried swapping in a different monitor? Also what brand is your monitor, and does it require any special drivers? If your monitor or video card is non-Apple, I'd check for compatibility with their drivers first.

Shaman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2001, 04:02 AM

This problem appeares on the very first window when I begin install OSX 10.1 ! It appears too when I install it on a NEW HDD !

tip: I replaced the video card: ATI 128Pro from my macosx server !
(it's the same card i have in my G4 450MP), but the problem remains the same :-(

Richard Clark
Senior User
Oct 12, 2001, 12:14 PM

It looks like everything is pointing towards software...

But... could the video card be having problems. One recommendation was to change monitors. I'd try video cards if your able to. And if it hasn't been mentioned - Zap the PRAM and even hit the Cuda switch.

This may sound really weird but if you someone else who has a copy of 10.1, tryin installing it to see if the problem stays. What does it look like when you're in 9.2.1???

Best of luck to ya.
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

foamy
Senior User
Oct 12, 2001, 01:13 PM

You mean you replaced the video card and then you started seeing this behavior, or you see this despite replacing your card?

If it is the former, then it's the card. I accidentally bumped the video card in my B&W G3 when I was adding RAM and my card showed similar behavior. Often, all you need to do is remove it an put it back in, making sure it is seated in its slot very well (sometimes it's a little scary how hard you have to push). In my case the card was toast and a replacement card from ATI fixed everything.

Good luck.

Shaman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2001, 03:08 AM

Foamy ! After many reinstalls in all the ways I began thinking this is a HW problem. Then I have replaced the video card hoping it's from the ATI Video card. But I see, the problem is not there. The problem is NOT in : RAM, Video Card, HDD !!!
It's not Software problem - I have installed 10.0 Then have updated 10.0.1, 10.0.2, 10.0.3 - NO PROBLEM
Update to 10.0.4 (via Software update) - and... here is it

Richard: I have 17" Apple Studio Display (ADC). Have replaced it with Sony (PC), but the problem remains :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules