Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.1 General Gripes and Pleasant Surprises

10.1 General Gripes and Pleasant Surprises (Page 2)
BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2001, 09:50 AM

For those who still wonder about speed improvements, I have 10.1 installed on my iMac 500 and 10.0.4 on my G4 DP450. On the iMac, both iTunes and IE open in less than two bounces; on the G4, it takes seven or eight. Fantastic. I can't wait to see what 10.1 does on this tower (I'm still booting in 9 so I can use my old SCSI scanner, which I guess is going to have to be replaced). 10.1 is certainly fast enough to use as my only OS on the iMac; as soon as I get Office updated, I'll never have to use Classic on that machine.

The only things keeping me from running 10.1 full-time on my tower are the scanner, a printer driver from Epson (which they say is coming) and, of course, software (hello, Adobe, that is your phone ringing).
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2001, 10:22 AM

I installed 10.1 on my old 7300 just for the fun of it. While the graphics still is quite slow (but much faster than 10.0.x, and come on nVidia, support us Voodoo owners) with the onBoard chip, App loading ist very fast even on this old b*tch.
Three bounces for Text Edit, IE and Mail, four for System Prefs. I wonder how they did it, the HD is a 4GB SCSI drive, old and really slow.

bye.

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2001, 10:23 AM

oh my

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: GnOm ]

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2001, 10:26 AM

and again

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2001, 10:27 AM

and again

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2001, 12:09 PM

Has this happened to anyone else?:

if i change my desktop picture to anything other than the default aqua picture, the background of my login screen is just the same white stripes as the login panel. it really looks bad. anyone else?

also, any word on getting a VST USB (not the thin firewire drive, but it looks like it) working in OS X?

-Ryan

<Joshua Ochs>
Oct 3, 2001, 08:18 PM

Hello, all. I've had a couple of strange Finder experiences, and I want to see if it's just me or if others have seen this too:

1) Finder previews in column mode are inconsistent. It appears that anything that is not "pure" QuickTime is not handled. For instance, I have some JPEGs compressed with GraphicConverter using "JPEG 6.0" instead of QuickTime. I also have some older PICTs compressed using RLE instead of QuickTime. Now, the open and save dialogs show these files just file in their previews, and QuickTime can open them without problem. Only the Finder cannot preview them. It's also strange than rtf files (the "native" format of TextEdit) is not previewed.

2) I have resized column view using the new widgets. However, on login the first window displayed in column view (no matter what window, or how it appears) has the old, small width. However, every subsequent window (even the same window, closed and reopened) has the proper width. What's with that?

In other news, I also run the VNC server as a StartupItem with no menubar or other problems. Something is odd in that person's system.

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2001, 09:23 PM

For me, the number one greatest surprise was finding the AppleTalk tab under the Network System Preferences pane. AppleTalk now works exactly as it's supposed to! Not to mention that it's dead easy to connect to other computers and you get a really cool network disk icon. I'm absolutely thrilled. Go Apple!

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2001, 10:00 PM

I only sent off my coupon to Apple in Ireland today....thank god.
There seem to be one or two pretty nasty bugs in there that could make my nice little setup very unhappy, I think I'll be getting my Cd's more or less the same time as 10.1.1 turns up

keep posting those bugs fellas.
weird wabbit

<Tarbash>
Oct 3, 2001, 11:35 PM

Grrrr.... the ONLY thing I use 9 for is burning. I have a QPS FireWire burner, 8x4x32 updated to Firmware v 1.07 (had to do this on a PeeCee, twice just to make sure), and the thing STILL DOESN'T WORK in 10.1. It doesn't even show up in the System Profiler.

Any ideas? I'm about to save up for the the new Lacie 24x Firewire burner if this POS doesn't work. Someone please help. Thanks.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2001, 11:46 PM

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: darcybaston ]
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

Me�vv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2001, 04:47 PM

I have this problem too. And it seems well documented in the Apple Discussion Forum. I got the intaller CD at my local Apple Store.
These are the symtoms:

1) Speakable Items window opens by itself when an application resizes the window size, usually to full screen.
2) The Speech Recognition does not work. The computer is listening but there are no Speakable commands available in the SC window.
3) Maximum volume for the startup chime
4) No modem sound

Some people have confirmed these errors (at least 1 and 2) on G4, but it seems particularly common for iBooks.

Does anyone have a solution or do we have to wait for Apple to fix it?

mftalon
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2001, 04:59 PM

Anyone else notice the incosistency of the mouse speed?

For example:

I have the mouse speed all the way up. When I slow down to click a button the cursor speed also slows down so I have to move my mouse that extra 1/4 inch or so to hit the button. To me this is really annoying, it's like the cursor speed scales with the mouse speed. I'm using a logitech scroll wheel mouse. This happens on two different 10.1 machines but it didn't happen in 10.0.x versions.

I remember Kensignton drivers had this feature and it used to annoy me to no end, but at least then I could turn it off.

Please tell me I'm not crazy... has anyone else noticed the scaling mouse speed?
You have to wonder...
www.creativebush.com

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2001, 05:06 PM

BrunoBruin, before you toss your scanner, check the Vuescan web site to see if it's supported. Vuescan runs native under X--I'm running a Minolta slide scanner and a Umax flatbed, both SCSI from an Adaptec card.

rob7erto
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2001, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Me�vv:
<STRONG>I have this problem too. And it seems well documented in the Apple Discussion Forum. I got the intaller CD at my local Apple Store.
These are the symtoms:

1) Speakable Items window opens by itself when an application resizes the window size, usually to full screen.
</STRONG>
I too have experienced this. As soon as someone finds a workaround or a fix, PLEASE tell. Deleting the speech prefs doesn't work. I get the problem when using DVD player full screen. Curiously enough, I don't get the problem when I view full-screen visuals in Audion. What's the deal?

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2001, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by DamnDJ:
<STRONG>Hello,
To the earlier poster who was talking about not being able to use 10.1 as a software base station, I just wanted to let them know it is possible to do. I have it set up right now.
I heard people saying that BrickHouse (Firewall) app is capable of doing this. Unfortunately I was not able to make it work. However, what I was able to use was this URL:
http://www.macfixit.com/osx/airportbase.shtml

It gives instructions on how to make it work. Been working great!</STRONG>

I've tried this and when I run the NATd script I get the following message:

/sbin/ipfw: warning: interface ``ppp0'' does not exist
00000 divert 8668 ip from any to any via ppp0
00000 allow ip from any to any

what can I do about this "ppp0 does not exist" message?
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

SmileyDude
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2001, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Brazuca:
<STRONG>

I've tried this and when I run the NATd script I get the following message:

/sbin/ipfw: warning: interface ``ppp0'' does not exist
00000 divert 8668 ip from any to any via ppp0
00000 allow ip from any to any

what can I do about this "ppp0 does not exist" message?</STRONG>
This may or may not be what you are looking for, since I've only done this with Ethernet connections, not PPP connections.

It appears that either you a) don't have a modem or b) your ppp connection isn't open when you run the NATd script. I don't think the message is causing any harm -- when you open your PPP connection, the NATd will do what it's supposed to do. But, to be sure, you may want to open your PPP connection before running the script.
dennis

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2001, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by SmileyDude:
<STRONG>

This may or may not be what you are looking for, since I've only done this with Ethernet connections, not PPP connections.

It appears that either you a) don't have a modem or b) your ppp connection isn't open when you run the NATd script. I don't think the message is causing any harm -- when you open your PPP connection, the NATd will do what it's supposed to do. But, to be sure, you may want to open your PPP connection before running the script.</STRONG>
Actually I made some progress: I have a static IP DSL connection, so I used 'en1' instead of 'ppp0' and now I'm able to ping the other computer. However, I still can't have it access the web. It is encouraging that both machines can see each other, but now I need to set up the routing. Any ideas?

So far I have the "client" computer with ip=10.0.1.2 and the "server" with 10.0.1.1. I have the Hostconfig file set to IPFORWARDING=-YES-
and on the "client" machine the TCP/IP is set with a router address of 10.0.1.1 (which is the IP of the "server"

No joy...any help?
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2001, 06:06 PM

ok..i got it running!!! I needed to turn on IP Sharing in my firewall software (BrickHouse).

However, it looks like whenever I start up I'll need to creat a new network. I'll test some more, but it is nice to know that a Software Base Station solution does exist in 10.1!!

Now, if only the signal levels were decent.....

Singrfreak
Oct 8, 2001, 06:14 PM

I've found my OS X.1 experience to be really great so far. I know I read somewhere on this forum that someone's QPS 8x4x32 firewire burner wasn't working...but mine's been working great so far, and I didn't even update the firmware to 1.07. It works great with both Disc Burner and iTunes, and I had no need to install any drivers at all.

Speed has also increased a good deal, and the system really doesn't feel like molasses, like the .0-.0.4 builds felt. I think all of my apps are opening in 2 or so bounces, which is a HUGE improvement over the 6 or 7 it used to take (I'm using a PBB4/500). My Logitech cordless optical mouse works without drivers, but that was already operational in the initial relase. I did finally decide to get rid of my Epson Stylus Color 900 in favor of getting a deskjet 960, which works beautifully, and is much less noisy, and is giving me better image quality. The only thing I'm really waiting for is a driver for my epson scanner and Office X.

The only gripes I have are with icon positioning getting crazy sometimes, and iDisk being sloooooooooooooow as all getout.
TiBook 500
384 mb RAM
OS X/OS 9 (sep. partitions)

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2001, 11:41 PM

Has anyone else noticed that using contextual menus in the list view seems to be broken?

It's been my experience that if you try to control-click (or right-click, as the case may be) on a selection in list view, the selection becomes de-selected, making the contextual menu useless (since the context, ie, the selection, has just changed from whatever you wanted to nothing).

Am I the only one experiencing this?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2001, 04:13 AM

since upgrading to 10.1, weird things are happening. has this:

ever happened to anybody else? as you can see, it happened more than once and, well, kind of confuses me. never happened under 10.0.x...

j3kyll
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2001, 06:33 AM

Yep, I get those weird colors etc in some programs.

It seems to occur only in older carbon applications written by really small 3rd party developers.

Pitbull pro has just released a new version optimised for OSX... It was a shocking example of these problems before their update.

Solution: wait till the developers recompile the program for 10.1
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2001, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by dfbennett:
<STRONG>I'll add some to the list:
Speed is awesome, CD burning is flawless, and some of the new interface enhancements rock.
Some complaints: Some of my windows aren't remembering their icon position after a while. Sometimes I'll open my hard drive and it's all jumbled and not arranged by name. This sometimes happens to a lesser exten on the desktop. Sometimes when I put a CD in it doesn't align properly with the icons on the desktop(set to arrange by name).
The scroll wheel on my logitech mouse works almost everywhere but it's not system wide as I'd hoped. AOL Instant Messenger still doesn't support it but that is hardly apple's fault.
Also, one of my windows resizes just as slow as 10.0.4 but all my other windows are smooth as silk at resizing(Sawtooth G4 350 512mb). Very Odd. Overall I'm loving 10.1. Now I just need to get the CD for myself(my friend was lucky enough to get a copy on saturday but when I went later that day my local CompUSA was all out). Overall I'm loving it.</STRONG>
I had this same problem when updateing from 10.0.4 on my G4 all of a sudden the HD icon would move. I had a problem with icons randomly moving in 10.0.4 but not under 10.1. What I did was re format and re-install and it fixed my HD icon moving. I know probably not an option but I have not had a problem since then. Also 10.1 is faster. Once pleasant surprise to me was how smooth the DVD player is and on my PISMO I don't know if anyone mentioned it but the F12 Key now ejects the Cd. Very nice feature. I also noticed that in iTunes the visuals tend to flow more with the music now than they did in 10.0.x
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2001, 09:53 AM

Installed my 10.1 today (full) over 10.0.4.
Nice!

One of the things that I have noticed, is that the sound output is back to "normal". In X 10-10.0.4, the sound felt very "flat" and "drie". Great improvment.
Internet and web browsing seems to be rock-steady-crew. And gui speed is much improved!
In overall I'am in noo Whaoo mode right now. But I'll say that this is what I've been waiting for since I Bought my little mac. So I am so far very pleazed. Nice!
Can't wait to digg down and discover more new details in the system.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 9, 2001, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by seb2:
<STRONG>since upgrading to 10.1, weird things are happening. has this:

ever happened to anybody else? as you can see, it happened more than once and, well, kind of confuses me. never happened under 10.0.x...</STRONG>
Switch your monitor color depth to Thousands (assuming it was in Millions) and it will go away...
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2001, 11:44 AM

There is *so much* that I love about OS X but I won't go into that for now... a few things that puzzle me, though.

1. Icons on the desktop *still* will change positions for no reason now and again when doing stuff like switching monitor resolutions.

2. Screen savers, games, OpenGL... all right, have the stock ATI card in the ol' AGP/400 G4 and for some reason some screen savers I've downloaded are 'glitchy'. This is the problem- on the right hand part of the screen saver and the bottom of the screen saver, the image will sort of *tries to think of a good description* watermark itself/drag itself to the bottom and side of the screen... so while the rest of the screen saver is fine, the right hand side and the bottom will get dragged out to the edge for about a few inches... what's with that? This also happens in the Alice demo. *sigh* Could it be different API's for OpenGL.... or just some glitch? I mean... older OpenGL games such as Doom Legacy and the OpenGL version of Quake work flawlessly so how come some of these other things are messing up?

3. Shrinkwrap disk images- how come mounting these still doesn't work?

4. Bouncing icons in the dock.... - I like it, it's fine for when an app wants my attention but why does it have to use *so much!* of the processor? It doesn't affect dvd playback at all but it *will* affect simple things such as typing or anything video oriented (such as emulators, shockwave cartoons, etc.) Anyone find a way to turn this off yet? Apple needs to work on the processor usage for this!

5. Internet Explorer- really great build of IE but you'd think with Java2 built right into the OS that it'd handle java applets better by this point?

6. Multitasking?- Yes, this is great that it's there but how come so many things are *still* affected by a background app or doing something in the finder...? Why is this??? *grrrr*

7. Scrollwheel- I love being able to use it in the Finder now but how come all carbon apps don't get to take advantage of scrollwheel support yet? *sigh*

8. iTunes visuals- you'd think with OpenGL getting a %20 speed boost that the visuals would also.....

Those are just some of my gripes for now... there is so much that's great about OS X! I can pretty much use it full-time now and am very happy about the speed boost in 10.1! Of course some things need to be better tuned speed-wise but that will of course continue. X will only continue to get better!

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2001, 11:53 AM

Oh! My other huge gripe is AppleWorks (which I use a fair) has become almost completely useless with the 10.1 update... I posted a list of problems I was encountering with it before the forums went down... but here's the main problems for me:

1. CANNOT PRINT- What the hell? Printing works fine in everything else *except* for AppleWorks. I've got an Epson 760 and when I go to print from AppleWorks it shows that it's printing (ie. page 1, page 2) and then once that is done, print center disappears- *without* having printed the document! why??

2. When opening a saved document that originally was formatted as US Letter, when I go to Page Setup it shows that it is an A4 document (even though the document has still retained all US Letter formatting...) So if I then go to switch it back to show US Letter, the pages become insanely small and lose all text. Oh, did I mention that the scale shows that it's %2970 even though it's cleary at %100? And if I change that, again, the documents become blank and will either become small or very large. Not only that... the ruler becomes cut off and shows only a bit of the first inch....

3. Until I deleted the preferences, I was having a problem where the spell checking window would go behind the Finder menu bar at the top of the screen... since there are no edges to grab like in Platinum, I couldn't drag it down... thus rendering it useless.

So what's with all of this? At macosx I posted this and received some comments from people experiencing the same problems. Anyone here having these problems at all?

OoklaTheMok
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2001, 12:59 PM

Here's a con no one has mentioned...Screen Sleep! Is it working fine for everyone else? On my DVSE it's working like it did in the Public Beta...screen goes black but doesn't turn off. It still glows brightly in a dark room. With 10.0 the screen properly turned all the way off when set to sleep.

I can get the screen to sleep all the way if I make the computer sleep all the way. But since I run SETI I don't want to do this. Also, just living with the glowing screen isn't an option since the computer is in my bedroom.

Also when I woke up this morning the dock was all messed up...every single icon was stacked where the Trash icon is supposed to be (I have it pinned at the end). I minimized a window and this halfway fixed the dock...now half of them were stacked where the Finder icon should be. The rest were nicely ordered to the right of that, but then there was a huge gap of blank space between them and the minimized window. This may have something to do with having DockLock installed before, I don't know. But I can't reproduce this bug.

Nice to see though that the modem sound works...

Also a big disappointment: Preview.app! Why did they change it? 2 big problems: "Actual Size" doesn't work anymore (it doesn't make things actual size, but much smaller) and the opening order is reversed. With the old Preview.app, if you opened multiple items, say, 10 or even 90, they would open last-to-first, so when they were all done opening, the lowest-numbered one would be the top window and the highest-numbered one would be the bottom window. This made it so if I had 10 pictures in a row�Picture1.jpg, Picture2.jpg, etc�I could just open them all at once, look at the top one, close it, look at the next one, close it, etc.

Now it doesn't work that way...Picture10.jpg is now on top, then Picture9.jpg, then 8, etc. This is a real pain. I am going to have to find something else to read my manga with.

Unless...can someone email me their Preview.app from 10.04? ^^;;

conny
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2001, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by rob7erto:
<STRONG>

I too have experienced this. As soon as someone finds a workaround or a fix, PLEASE tell. Deleting the speech prefs doesn't work. I get the problem when using DVD player full screen. Curiously enough, I don't get the problem when I view full-screen visuals in Audion. What's the deal?</STRONG>
Me too, it happens sometimes when I have been ruuning iTunes Visuals in full screen. That's a weird bug.

smithandwesson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2001, 02:27 PM

Right-clicking (or control-clicking) for the context menu of a file doesn't work in List View, it gives the context menu for the enclosing folder instead. This works fine in Column and Icon Views.

Aggravating!

smithandwesson
Fresh-Faced Recruit

Right-clicking (or control-clicking) for the context menu of a file doesn't work in List View, it gives the context menu for the enclosing folder instead. This works fine in Column and Icon Views.

Aggravating!

smithandwesson
Fresh-Faced Recruit

Aggravating!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2001, 03:21 PM

I like playing "dance of the CD Doors" with the F12 key

If the door on my burner is open, and the door on the tower is closed, pushing F12 closes the open one, then opens the closed one. Push again, and reverse the process. Hours of fun!

Generally, I'm just happy with X, except for Toast not doing DAO, yet. and setting up users (external machines connected by ethernet) is a little arcane, still. NetInfoManager? THAT's intuitive. Not.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2001, 04:29 PM

Overall I really like 10.1. Something that really perplexes me, though (and that I didn't notice in earlier versions, but I didn't use those versions much so I just may not have noticed it) -- AppleTalk is very unreliable. It seems that sometimes you can see servers and sometimes you can't...this goes for 9 machines trying to connect to a X box through the Chooser as well. And it also seems that aliases to folders on servers break pretty often too until you reconnect to the server through the Go menu (icons of the volume stored in the Dock similarly break). Seems the only remotely reliable way to always be able to find a X box with file sharing on is to know its IP address, and even with that you occasionally have to put up with spontaneously drops and having to remount.

Very impressed with speed, though, and CD-burning and DVD playback too. As already mentioned, I'd like to see the return of some 9 features, like all the options that used to be in the Energy Saver CP (already reported that one to Apple).

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2001, 04:35 PM

...crap, forgot another big problem. Documents assigned to Classic apps don't open properly, either by double-clicking or dragging onto an app's icon. Only through the Open menu dialog can you get to these files. Going further, documents assigned to non-Classic apps WILL open in classic apps if you drag on top of the app icon (e.g., jpeg file not created by Photoshop, and thus not assigned to it, will open in Photoshop by dragging onto the Photoshop icon...once saved over and it becomes a Photoshop doc, this won't work anymore), but "classic" docs dragged onto native apps still won't open (I think...haven't tested this one thoroughly).

I've tried rebuilding the Classic desktop but that doesn't seem to help. Anyone else dealing with this?

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2001, 04:37 PM

...and while I'm on a roll (I really do like 10.1, I promise), why the hell does Apple now limit you to 10 users connecting via filesharing? I'm pretty sure this wasn't an issue before X. And I'm talking about connecting to a X client box with flie sharing on, not a X server box. And connecting as an admin seems to work fine over that limit of 10 users, but who wants to assign all their users admin rights just to allow them to log on to the server?

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2001, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
<STRONG>For those who still wonder about speed improvements, I have 10.1 installed on my iMac 500 and 10.0.4 on my G4 DP450. On the iMac, both iTunes and IE open in less than two bounces; on the G4, it takes seven or eight. Fantastic. I can't wait to see what 10.1 does on this tower (I'm still booting in 9 so I can use my old SCSI scanner, which I guess is going to have to be replaced). 10.1 is certainly fast enough to use as my only OS on the iMac; as soon as I get Office updated, I'll never have to use Classic on that machine..</STRONG>
Try VueScan for scanner before you jump for a new one. I don't mind Classic, but I still prefer 9.2.1 and it will be Jan 2002+ before SoftRAID and other stuff (and 10.2) are ready to roll.

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2001, 07:12 PM

I'm not sure if i'm the only one experiencing this problem, something I liked very much on my G4/466 was the sleep thing, and the computer would go absolutely silent. This doesn't work anymore in 10.1. Did that happen to anyone else?

The two other buggy things the icons not remembering their position and windows being the same size every time i open time. And the last thing - which was reported before - the cursor gets much slower when i drag the mouse around slowly, is kind of annoying. I'm using the Optical Intellimouse, hope MIC will bring out new drivers for X soon.

--dreamed of white astronauts falling into a greasy lake--http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/confused.gif
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

kjosker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2001, 07:20 PM

I am quite impressed with 10.1; it's probably what 10.x should have been from the start. Installation was flawless, and it's operation has been flawless for over a week now.

I'm just wondering, after reading numerous posts since OSX first came out, some people seem to have a lot of problems; and I'm wondering if partitioning is the cause. I've never experienced any of the problems related, and I didn't partition my drive (Pismo 400,768mb). That's based on a seat of the pants analysis; no real documentation.

The best thing about 10.1 that I've found so far, is that I can trash things without the annoying "You don't have sufficient privileges" messages. Very unmac-like.

kjosker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2001, 07:20 PM

I am quite impressed with 10.1; it's probably what 10.x should have been from the start. Installation was flawless, and it's operation has been flawless for over a week now.

I'm just wondering, after reading numerous posts since OSX first came out, some people seem to have a lot of problems; and I'm wondering if partitioning is the cause. I've never experienced any of the problems related, and I didn't partition my drive (Pismo 400,768mb). That's based on a seat of the pants analysis; no real documentation.

The best thing about 10.1 that I've found so far, is that I can trash things without the annoying "You don't have sufficient privileges" messages. Very unmac-like.

kjosker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2001, 07:23 PM

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2001, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by schwae29:
<STRONG>Right-clicking (or control-clicking) for the context menu of a file doesn't work in List View, it gives the context menu for the enclosing folder instead. This works fine in Column and Icon Views.

Aggravating!</STRONG>
Schwae -
I already mentioned this bug

I did find a sorta-kinda workaround, though. If you only want to use the contextual menu on one item, you can:
1) Begin the process to rename an icon (get it so that you can type text into its name)
2) Right-click (or control-click) on the icon, and you'll be able to use the contextual menu.

I haven't found a way to get contextual menus working for a multi-item selection yet.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

zid2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2001, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by beverson:
<STRONG>...crap, forgot another big problem. Documents assigned to Classic apps don't open properly, either by double-clicking or dragging onto an app's icon. Only through the Open menu dialog can you get to these files. Going further, documents assigned to non-Classic apps WILL open in classic apps if you drag on top of the app icon (e.g., jpeg file not created by Photoshop, and thus not assigned to it, will open in Photoshop by dragging onto the Photoshop icon...once saved over and it becomes a Photoshop doc, this won't work anymore), but "classic" docs dragged onto native apps still won't open (I think...haven't tested this one thoroughly).

I've tried rebuilding the Classic desktop but that doesn't seem to help. Anyone else dealing with this?</STRONG>
I have the same problem. I have tried rebuilding desktop, zapping pram and clean installs. Any other ideas?

Dave Boone

lockhartt
Oct 9, 2001, 11:39 PM

&gt;&gt; BAD: Burning sucks on my machine. B/W G3 350 DVD, Ext Yamaha 16X10X40 Firewire CDRW. The finder won't burn without errors, the finder becomes unresponsive during burns. Even with toast, I have to turn the burn speed way down. Made way too many coasters.

Definite gripe for me under 10.1 is that my internal, slot-loading CD-RW doesn't work for Finder (Disc Burner) burning... Error Code 6.

Works fine under 9.2.1, but will only burn at 6x from iTunes and Disk Copy under 10.1 and not at all through Disc Burner under 10.1. External Firewire CD-RW burns fine at full speed under 10.1.

If I could burn properly under 10.1, I'd be happy as a pig in slop (that, and as soon as October 22 arrives and Epson releases a driver for the C80 under 10.1).

Sounds like other folks are having trouble with the CW-7121 slot-loading CD-RW under 10.1 if you look at Apple's iMac and OS X discussions for burn errors.

Anyone have any insight? I suspect it's a bad driver implementation as it was flaky under 9.2.1 also until Authoring Support 1.1.3 came out... but who knows...

lockhartt
Oct 9, 2001, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by dcemt:
<STRONG>Good: Very responsive. Feels very quick.
Rock solid and stable.
built in windows networking.
All the fun of Unix, with a better GUI and mainstream applications.

BAD: Burning sucks on my machine. B/W G3 350 DVD, Ext Yamaha 16X10X40 Firewire CDRW. The finder won't burn without errors, the finder becomes unresponsive during burns. Even with toast, I have to turn the burn speed way down. Made way too many coasters.

No DVD for me. Note to Apple: you sold me this damn DVD drive, now support the damn thing!!

The SMB support is a bit weak.

Overall, I am very pleased. Not perfect yet, but I have faith that Apple will continue to improve the system. Also, I'm quite sure it will perform even better on my Dual 800 that should arrive in another week or so

</STRONG>

johnnylundy
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2001, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by mftalon:
<STRONG>Anyone else notice the incosistency of the mouse speed?

For example:

I have the mouse speed all the way up. When I slow down to click a button the cursor speed also slows down so I have to move my mouse that extra 1/4 inch or so to hit the button. To me this is really annoying, it's like the cursor speed scales with the mouse speed. I'm using a logitech scroll wheel mouse. This happens on two different 10.1 machines but it didn't happen in 10.0.x versions.

I remember Kensignton drivers had this feature and it used to annoy me to no end, but at least then I could turn it off.

Please tell me I'm not crazy... has anyone else noticed the scaling mouse speed?</STRONG>
Yep. Even setting the mouse scaling way up with the terminal hack (to 2.7 or 3.7) doesn't fix this. If you move the mouse slowly it takes about 4 inches of mouse movement to move 0.5 inches on the screen - completely unacceptable. The mouse is scaled to move farther when you move it faster, but it needs to have more scaling at the low end. I also am using a Logitech BTW. Anyone else see this with a different mouse (all I have are 4 Logitechs lol).

&gt;&gt;Johnny
&gt;&gt;Johnny

kthomas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2001, 03:27 AM

Overall, I am very happy with OS X 10.1:
* SLEEP... at last (on my G4 500/MP)
* DVD playback..
* Wacom support... although a very crappy implementation i.m.h.o (Wacom.. have a look at Application Switching Menu.. very nice job, also added a preference-panel in the system-prefs)
* SAMBA.. although I havent had the chance yet to try it..

I noticed one problem though.. sometimes renaming an application (Used to do that many times under OS 7..9) makes it unusable.. I.E. when I rename "Filemaker" to "Filemaker 5.5" it refuses to start up. I realy would like apple to fix that.. because that's one of the (many) things that made Apple superior to Wintel - don't have to think about consequences, just do as you like -

Sebastiaan

kthomas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2001, 03:34 AM

* DVD playback..
* Wacom support... although a very crappy implementation i.m.h.o (Wacom.. have a look at Application Switching Menu.. very nice job, also added a preference-panel in the system-prefs)

I noticed one problem though.. sometimes renaming an application (Used to do that many times under OS 7..9) makes it unusable.. I.E. when I rename "Filemaker" to "Filemaker 5.5" it refuses to start up. I realy would like apple to fix that.. because that's one of the (many) things that made Apple superior to Wintel - don't have to think about consequences, just do as you like -

Sebastiaan

kthomas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2001, 03:37 AM

* DVD playback..

Sebastiaan

Forum Links
Forum Rules