Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dell 24" vs Apple Cinema 23"

Dell 24" vs Apple Cinema 23"
Mr Mushroom
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2005, 04:07 AM

I was all set to buy a 23" Cinema display and then my friend sends me the latest offer from Dell on the 24" and tell me I should consider that (again). It does seem like the better value deal, but the Apple diplays are so pretty.......

I will be using the display as an additional monitor for my Powerbook AND a PC laptop or Desktop.

Considering the significantly cheaper price on the Dell, for basically the same unit, would it be madness to still buy the Cinema Display?

Thoughts?

Powerbook G4 17", 1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 5400rpm HD, 128Mb VRAM

Mr Mushroom  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2005, 04:17 AM

Sorry forgot to ask:

Can someone confirm that the 24" Dell is indeed compatible with my graphics card?

I have the 128MB optional upgrade on the last rev Powerbook 17".

Thanks
Powerbook G4 17", 1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 5400rpm HD, 128Mb VRAM

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2005, 10:42 AM

The 24" Dell will work fine with the DVI connection on your PB 17. The question is whether the aesthetics of the 23" is worth foregoing the extra 1", the multiple inputs, the media readers, and the savings. My opinion is no. =)

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2005, 02:19 PM

text will appear slightly larger on the dell. it's very slight but noticable. one downside to owning a non apple lcd is that it is difficult to control the brightness level. the hardware brightness controls (buttons on front of the monitor) do almost nothing and there is nothing in the system prefs to control third party monitors. there is a third party app out there but i discovered that it messed up gamma settings in order to reduce brightness. but i agree with the previous post- it boils down to aesthetics and i really like the apple lcd's but when the dell is on sale it is 1/2 the price of the apple display. it's tough to pass that type of deal up.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by robby818
text will appear slightly larger on the dell. it's very slight but noticable. one downside to owning a non apple lcd is that it is difficult to control the brightness level. the hardware brightness controls (buttons on front of the monitor) do almost nothing and there is nothing in the system prefs to control third party monitors. there is a third party app out there but i discovered that it messed up gamma settings in order to reduce brightness. but i agree with the previous post- it boils down to aesthetics and i really like the apple lcd's but when the dell is on sale it is 1/2 the price of the apple display. it's tough to pass that type of deal up.
I just found your post here http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=264888 and was going to tell you that you recommend a gamma of 2.2. However, since you posted it there my guess is you already knew that.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2005, 01:05 PM

One thing to consider for the Dell is that you are going to use it for two computers. That being said the Dell supports multiple inputs and would save you the cost of a rather expensive KVM switch. I say that because of two things. First, does you computer have a DVI output on the graphics card. Second, If it does a DVi KVM switch is not cheap. If it does not then you also have to get a VGA to DVI converter which is really expensive.

Buying going the Dell you can hok up the PC using VGA and the powerbook using DVI.

Just a thought
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2005, 12:09 AM

I'm using the Dell 20" 2000FP, purchased for about $400 shipped. The multiple inputs and adjustable stand are nice to have, and so is the extra $300 in my pocket that will be going to my second 2000FP. Keep your eye on techbargains.com, I've seen the 24" for as low as ~$900 and my 20" under $450.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2005, 02:42 AM

dude get the dell, seriously save yourself the money and get the dell, it's nicer. Go look at them instore if you can, you'll appreciate the features on the dell and the extra cash can be used to buy a second mac... LOL

Busemann
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 08:16 AM

The Dell 20" 2005FP uses the exact same panel as the Apple 20" and is about $300 cheaper. I can't believe who in their right mind would get the Cinema Display.. As has been pointed out, the Dell 24" is a no-brainer as well.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 10:29 AM

I'm an Apple fanboy without a doubt. I bought a Dell 2005FPW recently and I do not regret it at all. The price killed the Apple ACD. When I am ready to upgrade I will get the Dell 24" without hesitation. Also, the monitors come with a standard 3 year warranty. After all was said and done I paid almost $400 less for the 20" Dell than what a 20" Apple ACD would have cost me.

Get the Dell.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 10:01 PM

I just got a 24" Dell and loving it and its price.

osxisfun
Aug 7, 2005, 10:28 PM

text size ok? (re: dot pitch 24" vs 23")

i'm deciding whether to pick on up or buy a pc laptop for a different purpose.

rotorwash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2005, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
text size ok? (re: dot pitch 24" vs 23")

i'm deciding whether to pick on up or buy a pc laptop for a different purpose.
I am using the Dell 24" with my PB G4 and a pc. The PB is on the DVI port and the pc is on the vga port. This is an excellent monitor and for the prices they are selling it (I paid less than $800 after all of the dell coupons and promotions) for it is a steal! Works great as an HDTV to boot!
Jump in or Sit down

milhouse
Senior User
Aug 8, 2005, 05:26 PM

I have Dell 24" and 20.1" displays.

They are both very nice thought I think the Apple 20" is crisper on my 12" PB than the Dell 20.1.

The price is excellent but, in my experience, their customer support is abysmal .

It took several delivery attempts, wrong addresses, wrong monitor etc to get mine.

Several near useless calls to India tech support yielded very discrepant results.

Monitor = Very Good. Support = n: Abysmal.

YMMV and good luck.

( Last edited by milhouse; Aug 8, 2005 at 05:36 PM. )
"-Dodge This"

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2005, 11:43 PM

neps
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2005, 10:48 AM

Beautiful Andy8, congrats! Can you measure the minimum height of that monitor for me? The pedestal on Dells have so much more hight than Apples, which is kinda annoying.

osxisfun
Aug 9, 2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by rotorwash
I am using the Dell 24" with my PB G4 and a pc. The PB is on the DVI port and the pc is on the vga port. This is an excellent monitor and for the prices they are selling it (I paid less than $800 after all of the dell coupons and promotions) for it is a steal! Works great as an HDTV to boot!

thanks. depending on my situation. i am going to buy a 24" dell or a pc laptop. depends on some other stuff.

thanks!

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 12:13 PM

Neps, the minimum height is 45cm (17 3/4 ").

neps
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 09:43 PM

Really Andy8? That's awesome to hear. Their website said 22inches, but at under 18 it will easily fit my computer area. Thanks man!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2005, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann
The Dell 20" 2005FP uses the exact same panel as the Apple 20" and is about $300 cheaper. I can't believe who in their right mind would get the Cinema Display.. As has been pointed out, the Dell 24" is a no-brainer as well.
Quoted for emphasis. They both use identical LG displays.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000020041567/

Nobody in his right mind would buy a Cinema Display, unless he likes wasting money.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2005, 10:52 PM

2 things to say:

1. The Apple LCD is overpriced
2. The Dell LCD's casing looks like Sh!t. Yes, you heard me. Doggy poop.
3. The Apple LCD's casing is common, even if metal, having a fancy ass little 'button' on the side, and firewire on the back
4. There's no way a fancy-ass button, firewire ports, and an aluminum case are worth $400.
5. The dell case looks so ass-y I wouldn't buy one regardless of the price.

Which to buy: Neither.

Dell 2405 vs Apple 23"
Same issues, dell's screen is bigger but that means lower DPI aka crappier picture quality (I don't care what they say, it isn't as good)... however.. here it's about $870 vs $1499.

$600 price difference, not to mention it's possible to get that dell with tax.

Solution? Dell needs to make some less-assy looking cases. Chances are good they'd still cost less than Apple's displays yet they could make them look just as good instead of those ugly 2-tone japanese-car-style pieces of junk.

Just to clarify, here's the ass-tastic back and why it's so cheap:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc.../back-view.gif

Note the cheap mold lines and the sloppy back grille -- shoot you can even see the back of the LCD panel itself through that junk. Plus your wires run up the back... and stuff...

It's janky.

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/i/z/rv/20...ll-2005-i1.jpg

See? Janky. Cheap. Good thing the people buying this are the cheap kind who usually stick their computers in walmart desks so the hutch hides the rear end of that beast.

Seriously they might as well just sell you guys the LCD bolted to the controller card, nobody seems to give a crap about quality.

Of course, I can't say apple's quality is perfect either, nor that it's worth 2x the price of that cheap dell screen, the solution?

Apple go back to the clear LCDs (with DVI though!) -- those things were worth the money hehe.
Aloha

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 11:07 PM

Get the Samsung 213T (21"). It has one of the best (if not the best) displays out there, way better than any of the Dell or Apple offerings.
MBP 1.83

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 04:21 AM

although that Samsung looks nice it's €980 vs €819 for the Apple 20" ACD over here. that's a big difference! besides that it does not have the Widescreen aspectratio.
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2005, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by mousehouse
although that Samsung looks nice it's €980 vs €819 for the Apple 20" ACD over here. that's a big difference! besides that it does not have the Widescreen aspectratio.
Really?? It's just over $600 for sale here.
MBP 1.83

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by mhuie
Really?? It's just over $600 for sale here.
Dell is running a promo on the 2005FPW (the 20" model) which now retails for €540. That's a €280 difference with the ACD

tempting.... must not go to ... the ...dark .... side.... resist ....
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 03:35 PM

The prices are really dropping now. I ended up unexpectedly coming into some money (long
story) in late May, early June which lead to me buying a brand new Princeton 19" LCD flat panel
(the DVI picture is excellent) that two months previous was pushing $600 but I ended up getting
it for around $350. And prices are dropping further.

Someday I'll get one of the 24" panels but having multiple DVI flat panels around the house
is good since I can then replace all the CRT based monitors that are on all of the other
computers in the house.

Forum Links
Forum Rules