Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Flash problem

Flash problem
Mr Mushroom
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2006, 08:15 AM

I am using DreamWeaver 8 (although i am still a beginner) and am trying to edit a template for a new site I am working on. The Template has Flash at the top of the main page, and when I click on it to edit, it says that Dreamweaver cannot open that kind of file. Does DW not support Flash, and if so, what program would you recommend to edit the flash.

Also the template came with two versions - With_FL & Without_FL -presumable with and without flash. If I am going to use the one with flash, do I just upload those files only?

Thanks in advance for any help
Powerbook G4 17", 1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 5400rpm HD, 128Mb VRAM

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 4, 2006, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Mushroom
Does DW not support Flash?
Not editing, no. Not as far as I know, anyway.

What program would you recommend to edit the flash?
Flash, perhaps? Flash files are filed created in Macromedia Flash, simple as that. I don’t know of any other app that will edit Flash movies.

skalie
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 09:36 PM

Also the template came with two versions - With_FL & Without_FL -presumable with and without flash. If I am going to use the one with flash, do I just upload those files only?
If the the "With_FL" is "Without_html" I would look into uploading both, maybe giving the user a choice, as the "With_FL" might not be search engine friendly.

( That's if Search Engine friendliness is important for you, of course )

Mr Mushroom  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I have now downloaded Flash 8 to use to edit the flash part, but to be honest I am finding both that and DreamWeaver very complicated. Can anyone recommend a good way to learn? Maybe a book or online tutorial?

Thanks also for the advice on the with_fl question - I will try to figure it all out. Im kind of using trial and error at the moment.

If anyone out there is skilled in this area and wants to help me when i get really stuck, I would be happy to pay a little for your time.

Thanks again

Mush

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2006, 09:58 AM

I have a decent DW book- it actually covers the entire suite. I'll let you know the title when I locate it, but I highly recommend browsing the computer section at Border's or Barne's and Noble. You are likely to find many choices. If you peak at them close enough, you should be able to decide which one is your level.

Also, I recommend a book on HTML by Castro (if you don't know much). I still don't claim to know much, but I can fake a little here and there after reading these two books (and browsing a few others).

skalie
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 10:58 AM

If anyone out there is skilled in this area and wants to help me when i get really stuck, I would be happy to pay a little for your time.
I can help with the Flash side of things. Do you have a deadline? ( Flash only took me a couple of years to figure out )

Mr Mushroom  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the help - skalie I have no deadline, just trying to put some new projects together - I will be in touch once I get some more outline done.

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules