Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > N64 for Mac?

N64 for Mac?
oximoron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2002, 09:58 PM

Does anyone know of an emulator for the Nintendo 64 which works? (Yes, I own the system.)

If yes, please post a link to the site which has it.

Thanks you,
oximoron

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2002, 10:18 PM

Jansar
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2002, 04:55 PM

The best out there is SixtyForce, which can be found at emulation.net. It works well, but you would want to have a nasty computer if you want to run games faster.

(Why can't a developer make something like Windows' UltraHLE for Mac? It runs A LOT of good commercial games very fast on below average systems.)
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

oximoron  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2002, 08:34 PM

Would it work good on the 17 inch iMac? I'm still waiting for it to reach my house.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2002, 10:47 AM

oximoron, if you have the N64, don�t waste time in emulators... just my opinion. A better idea will be (I don�t know if is possible in the iMac) view the N64 in the iMac 17 TFT display... wow, cool!!!

oximoron  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2002, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
oximoron, if you have the N64, don�t waste time in emulators... just my opinion. A better idea will be (I don�t know if is possible in the iMac) view the N64 in the iMac 17 TFT display... wow, cool!!!
Well, I don't really care. I mean why not let the N64 rest near the bigscreen TV, and have an emulator on my iMac. I'll search some websites to see if I can hook it up anyway.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2002, 02:46 PM

I only mean, that I think the quality image in the 17 TFT will be better so far that the showed in the TV. I have my N64 in a 28" Sony Triniton TV and my GAMECUBE in a Philips 32" 16:9 ratio, both looks in a good way, then I switch to view the Nintendos in my PowerBook Pismo with a capsure pc-card, really cool, and then send the video signal from the PowerBook to my Apple 17 Studio Display (CRT), of course things are smaller that in the 32", but lower display size, better appairence. Of course, both Nintendos are actually in the TVs, but if my display is a 17 or upper TFT... I really think on share the display between the Mac and the Nintendos

About the emulators... it can do a decent SNES emulation, but N64 is a full different history. But I really don�t care, my moral sense says to me: "I can not steal to 'Mario', I can not..."

Good luck.

IEEE1394
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2002, 10:02 PM

Playing N64 on your Mac usually means the loss of an analouge controller, which is essential to play some games well.

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2002, 10:18 AM

but where can you download ROMs?
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2002, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by lothar56:
but where can you download ROMs?
Ha ha! This is the problem in using any emulator. I am thinking of putting my collection onto my iDisk (since I have loads of extra space that I don't use anymore). Unfortunately I don't have any 64 ROMS, just old stuff from the dead consoles.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

vault86
Forum Regular
Location: Vermont(the biggest and most interesting state in the country)
Oct 23, 2002, 07:35 PM

I am also looking for ROMs, can anyone help me?

oximoron  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2002, 08:33 PM

Mesa needs help finding them too.
"Thundercats! Ho!!!!!" Liono's catchphrase.

mishap
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by oximoron:
Mesa needs help finding them too.
I see loads of roms on Usenet.

Anyone know if Virtual GameMachine works in OSX or if there is a PlayStation emulator for OSX. thanks..

Guy Incognito
Banned
Nov 1, 2002, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by mishap:

I see loads of roms on Usenet.

Anyone know if Virtual GameMachine works in OSX or if there is a PlayStation emulator for OSX. thanks..
The only PSX emulator for OS X is Flarestorm (check versiontracker) but it's not very user-friendly at the moment...and rather slow unless you have a top-end Mac.

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2002, 08:27 PM

(both these sites have been up for ages(3+ years) - so presumably i can post the links) mods- delete if necassary... apologies.

snes roms are found here-

http://www.oneminuteleft.com/

lots of other roms (mame, old consoles, etc)

www.classicgaming.com

atomised
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2002, 11:31 PM

the n64 emulator is not great on the mac (i've got a g4 466mhz), i'd be interested to know if it works better for people lucky enough to have a spiffier system. the amount of games it plays is very limited and mario 64 plays well if you have the sound off, but you're better off turning on your n64 and plugging in mario as both of these things are around cheap for those who look (well in australia anyway) and importantly they are fantastically playable. playstation? flarestorm seems quite odd and it (like the n64) doesn't seem to get updated very regularly and work very well!

check http://www.macemu.com/ as its a fairly informative place.

personally i find emulators are great for old dead systems...

and finding roms?
lazybones!
i don't want to sound rude but a hour or so of searching google will find a good deal of roms and i'm pretty sure no one is going to post you all some dodgy links in these forums. a great legal place to start is classicgaming.com its a great website + some great old arcade files and articles are there...

Guy Incognito
Banned
Nov 5, 2002, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by atomised:
the n64 emulator is not great on the mac (i've got a g4 466mhz), i'd be interested to know if it works better for people lucky enough to have a spiffier system. the amount of games it plays is very limited and mario 64 plays well if you have the sound off, but you're better off turning on your n64 and plugging in mario as both of these things are around cheap for those who look (well in australia anyway) and importantly they are fantastically playable. playstation? flarestorm seems quite odd and it (like the n64) doesn't seem to get updated very regularly and work very well!

check http://www.macemu.com/ as its a fairly informative place.

personally i find emulators are great for old dead systems...

Rumor has it that a HUMONGOUS update to sixtyforce is in the works. I don't know if I should believe the rumor though...although my sources are very reliable.

According to my last e-mail reply from the Flarestorm author...there wouldn't be an update to Flarestorm 'till early next year...but recently he's been showing progress logs on his japanese page. This *might* mean an update is due soon (probably won't support 10.2 yet though).

Also mupen64 for Mac is getting quite good (although a bit slow and lacking sound support at the moment) and will be updated regularly.

Another rumor is that John Stiles is porting his emus into Cocoa. Take this rumor with a grain of salt...even though my source is reliable.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2002, 01:17 AM

Here is a very good site with compatibility ratings for many ROMs and updates on the progress of a new N64 emulator being developed for the mac called Mupen 64. It is in very early stages of development, but it shows tons of promise.

erise
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2002, 12:00 AM

Here is what I know about what everyone said... in case you're wondering... I'm the co-webmaster at the site list above, http://www.macemu.com.

Sixtyforce is the best Mac N64 emu. It runs decently (about 25 fps) on my G4 400 without sound. With sound it drops to around 10 fps or less, which isn't playable.

Mupen64 is more compatible, but so slow it is unplayable. It has no sound and runs at only 2-3 fps.

As for the John Stiles Cocoa rumor, I heard that from Richard Bannister a while back, so it is definately true he was considering that. Whether or not it happens is a different matter. (However, Stiles hasn't made any N64 emus, so this part is kind of off-topic).

To sum it all up, the best way to play N64 right now if you have a Mac is to buy a real N64... Hopefully the upcoming Sixtyforce version will be as spectacular as rumored.

Hope this helps!!!
MacEmu - The best Mac Emulation Website

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2002, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by erise:
Here is what I know about what everyone said... in case you're wondering... I'm the co-webmaster at the site list above, http://www.macemu.com.

Sixtyforce is the best Mac N64 emu. It runs decently (about 25 fps) on my G4 400 without sound. With sound it drops to around 10 fps or less, which isn't playable.

Mupen64 is more compatible, but so slow it is unplayable. It has no sound and runs at only 2-3 fps.

As for the John Stiles Cocoa rumor, I heard that from Richard Bannister a while back, so it is definately true he was considering that. Whether or not it happens is a different matter. (However, Stiles hasn't made any N64 emus, so this part is kind of off-topic).

To sum it all up, the best way to play N64 right now if you have a Mac is to buy a real N64... Hopefully the upcoming Sixtyforce version will be as spectacular as rumored.

Hope this helps!!!
Don't slam on mupen prematurely. It's still at version 0.0.90

I have it on reasonably good authority that sixtyforce isn't going to be updated.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:

I have it on reasonably good authority that sixtyforce isn't going to be updated.
No you don't.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2002, 08:05 PM

what makes you say that?

Guy Incognito
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 08:10 PM

what makes you say that?
I've got a super-secret beta version, which ironically isn't so super-secret anymore.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2002, 08:12 PM

Good job on keeping that secret...

Guy Incognito
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 08:31 PM

Good job on keeping that secret...
Yeah...the author just told me that because of this goof-up, he'll never release another sixtyforce update...ever!

ZackS
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 10:39 PM

I'm the webmaster of n64.emuscene.com and I've been in pretty close contact with gerrit, the author of sixtyforce. I don't want to say too much but to the best of my knowledge, development on Sixtyforce has not stopped. I guess we have not spoken in a few days but he didn't tell me anything earth-shattering like a beta leak leading to the stop of development of sixtyforce

mac freak
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2002, 01:19 AM

Did you guys know they took the word "gullible" out of the dictionary?
Be happy.

ZackS
Banned
Nov 7, 2002, 11:18 AM

They did? Who is they and why did they remove gullab.... oh I get it. You wanted me too look it up and see that it was still there and then say to you no it isn't taken out and then I would think about it and than I would realize that was was gullable because gullable means that you believe things easily and that's funny because you didn't make the meaning of the word seem significant while I was looking it up. Ok, I understand. That's a really fresh, new and original idea, you know: the telling of someone else to look up gullable. Never heard it before.

Oh I recently heard about this flash video called all your base or something. It's funny because at this one part a guy goes "all your base are belong to us" and it is funny because the game looks professional but the translation is terrible and you'd think they would translate it well because games cost a lot to make.

frock83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2002, 09:43 PM

You guys need to get out more.

yukon
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 11:21 PM

rofl, hi-larious. when did people from mac(.)emu(scene) start posting on macnn? i'd expect to see the mac.emuscene forums rife with the rumors ;-)

I was expecting such an update to sixtyforce, can't be beaten by mupen ;-). don't know about the cocoa rumor, haven't heard much on that.

oh, and the roms, you have to find them yourself. I've seen hundreds of "where can i get romz" posts flamed out of existance. The rom part is illegal, and if you associate pirated roms with emulators (publicly at least), you could jepardize development.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2002, 01:55 AM

I'm replying to the guy that posted about Mario 64 performance.

Luckily enough, I was able to acquire the "ultimate" setup for the new Power Mac G4, and it runs perfectly with sound (since i chose to smooth FPS), however there are times when the game temprarily slows down because of too much activity. The first snow level does that, for example.
Go Dogcows!

mh0ffmann
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 04:54 PM

MacBookPro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 100 GB 7200 RPM / 1 Gb
White MacBook 13.3" / 1.8 GHz / 60GB / 1 Gb
PB 5300cs (!!!) 100 MHz / 750 Mb / 16 Mb

erise
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 05:54 PM

Don't slam on mupen prematurely. It's still at version 0.0.90
I wasn't trying to. I was just saying it is too slow to really "play" in its current release. It is a great start though and has plenty of potential. Plus, I have a rather slow G4 400 anyway, so no N64 emulator is going to run super-great on it.
MacEmu - The best Mac Emulation Website

Jansar
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2002, 08:52 PM

Mupen cannot run on my computer either. And there is no better setup possible!
Go Dogcows!

Forum Links
Forum Rules