Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > RealBasic serial control and USB adapter

RealBasic serial control and USB adapter
RealMadrid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2003, 09:46 AM

Hi:

I have developed a programm in RealBasic to acquire data from a serial port of a phone system. This works perfectly on an old server with serial port.

The system will be migrated to a new server without that port, so I have bought an serial to USB adapter. As it seems it is build with the Prolific PL2303 chipset. I have managed to connect both systems with that cable but only get scrambled data.

It seems as if this is due to the connections settings of the serial control.

My question is: If I set the serial control to work at 9600 baud, will the chipset use this baudrate or does it ignore it.

Anybody knows of an unexpensive cable that works with RealBasic and MacOS X where you can set baud rate, parity, etc?

Thanks in advance!
Check out www.basasoft.com products:
CodeLine (Do Cocoa programming in BASIC)
BasaOne 2.0
AFDragHandler 1.1
BasaOne Web Classes

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by RealMadrid:
Anybody knows of an unexpensive cable that works with RealBasic and MacOS X where you can set baud rate, parity, etc?

Thanks in advance!
You should post this to the Realbasic Developer mailing list. That list is very active with hundreds of helpful RB developers on it, and I'm sure one of them can answer your question. I vaguely remember people using USB->serial adapters successfully on the list (I am only on the betas list now).
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

RealMadrid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2003, 12:03 PM

Thanks, I'll do so.
Check out www.basasoft.com products:
CodeLine (Do Cocoa programming in BASIC)
BasaOne 2.0
AFDragHandler 1.1
BasaOne Web Classes

Forum Links
Forum Rules