Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Movie of an elephant being electrocuted

Movie of an elephant being electrocuted
george68
Banned
Jun 3, 2004, 10:11 PM

Not online (that I know of) but in case anybody wants to see something seriously seriously disturbing, rent the VHS "History of Coney Island" by PBS. Part of the America's history series or something. Anyway, they used to have all these elephants on coney island. Some asshole though it'd be agood idea to feed this old girl elephant a lit cigarette. The elephant smushed him (and rightly so). Anyway, they were going to hang the elephant, but that was too cruel, so instead they electrocuted it with a ton of power. Video of it steaming and everything. It just stood there...... no sound out of it at all.

Pretty sad/disgusting.

- Rob

ryju
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 10:14 PM

For some odd reason that sig took awhile to load.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by george68:
Not online (that I know of) but in case anybody wants to see something seriously seriously disturbing, rent the VHS "History of Coney Island" by PBS. Part of the America's history series or something. Anyway, they used to have all these elephants on coney island. Some asshole though it'd be agood idea to feed this old girl elephant a lit cigarette. The elephant smushed him (and rightly so). Anyway, they were going to hang the elephant, but that was too cruel, so instead they electrocuted it with a ton of power. Video of it steaming and everything. It just stood there...... no sound out of it at all.

Pretty sad/disgusting.

- Rob
Running out to the video store to grab that sucker now! Gosh thanks!

No. What is really sad is you posting about it. The should have just shot it with an elephant gun. Morons. I wonder what elephants taste like?

Americans. Pah-tewy! Bastages. That's like cruelty to elephants that smash people.
The nerve.

talisker
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 10:17 PM

What's really sad is that you just sat there and watched the video without going to help the elephant. You could have built a time machine and gone back to fight off the elephant killers, but you just sat there doing nothing.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by talisker:
What's really sad is that you just sat there and watched the video without going to help the elephant. You could have built a time machine and gone back to fight off the elephant killers, but you just sat there doing nothing.
But then I wouldn't really trust Cash/Rob w/ a time machine �

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Dex13:
But then I wouldn't really trust Cash/Rob w/ a time machine �
What could he do? .... as I just typed that I mentally slapped myself in the forehead.

george68  (op)
Banned
Jun 3, 2004, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
What could he do? .... as I just typed that I mentally slapped myself in the forehead.
Good question. I suppose if I had a time machine, I'd go into the future and take pictures of nintendo's 'going out of business' webpage, then bring it back to the present to post to all the gamecube fans.

Seriously though....eh... I think I'd go back to the late 70s early 80s and buy a 1970 Cuda convertable, 68 Charger, and a few other choice cars and store them in a barn that nobody could find or get to, so I could drive them today.

- Ca$h

PS: Oh yeah, also would have prevented Sept 11th somehow.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 02:32 AM

PB2K
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 05:43 AM

That Edison movie was made for scientific reasons. To show the dangers of some sort of electricity. By electrocuting an elephant he proved that one of the two types of current was dangerous. The other one is has become popular for domestic use since then.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 05:52 AM

Originally posted by PB2K:
That Edison movie was made for scientific reasons. To show the dangers of some sort of electricity. By electrocuting an elephant he proved that one of the two types of current was dangerous. The other one is has become popular for domestic use since then.
Wrong on both accounts:

Topsy the Elephant was a Coney Island attraction who was increasingly abused by trainers (lit cigarettes thrown into her mouth etc.) and went berserk, killing three people in three months.

They were thinking about how to execute her, and Edison seized the propaganda opportunity for a demonstration of just how dangerous Tesla's alternating current was (Edison was a huge proponent of DC), so he filmed the electrocution.

AC has since become the worldwide power supply standard, despite Edison's efforts to vilify it.

-s*

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by analogika:
Wrong on both accounts:

Topsy the Elephant was a Coney Island attraction who was increasingly abused by trainers (lit cigarettes thrown into her mouth etc.) and went berserk, killing three people in three months.

They were thinking about how to execute her, and Edison seized the propaganda opportunity for a demonstration of just how dangerous Tesla's alternating current was (Edison was a huge proponent of DC), so he filmed the electrocution.

AC has since become the worldwide power supply standard, despite Edison's efforts to vilify it.
Correct. He was however not wrong on both accounts. He is basically saying the same as you with fewer details.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 06:30 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Correct. He was however not wrong on both accounts. He is basically saying the same as you with fewer details.
Actually, he claimed that

a) the movie was filmed for scientific reasons. Debateable, since the propaganda effort wasn't really "scientific", but mostly aimed at discrediting a competitor - Tesla. (Edison had a lot invested in DC technology. He was a businessman.)

b) He proved that one type of current - AC - was dangerous. Correct. However, the OTHER type of electricity (DC) has since become standard. This is incorrect.

Just a small correction.

-s*

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 06:35 AM

Actually, he claimed that

a) the movie was filmed for scientific reasons. Debateable, since the propaganda effort wasn't really "scientific", but mostly aimed at discrediting a competitor - Tesla. (Edison had a lot invested in DC technology. He was a businessman.)

b) He proved that one type of current - AC - was dangerous. Correct. However, the OTHER type of electricity (DC) has since become standard. This is incorrect.

Just a small correction.
It was a small correction. But you made it sound like he was totally wrong. He was vague and slightly erronous, but he was on the right track for the majority of his post.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
It was a small correction. But you made it sound like he was totally wrong. He was vague and slightly erronous, but he was on the right track for the majority of his post.
agreed, except that it made it seem like Edison was right, and that this was made to further science.

Edison was wrong, and it was made to further business - Edison's business.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 07:32 AM

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Tesla was a nutcase.

http://www.davidszondy.com/future/tesla/tesla.htm
And so was the guy who designed that webpage...

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 5, 2005, 08:26 AM

Electrocution was a serious scientific curiosity in the early 1900s. Edison was obviously very interested in it from a number of angles. There were movies made of electrocutions of a number of different animals, and a few convicts, that were used in various ways to interest people in electricity or scare them away from it. For its time, the Edison movie was scientifically valid. That was over 100 years ago. Now it's just morbid.

And Tesla was definitely a nut case. A brilliant nut case, but a nut case none the less. Kind of like Jerry Lewis; with a good director reining him in, Jerry was brilliant, but on his own, he was just over the top (and he'll admit that, too). Tesla didn't have anyone to ride herd on him, and it showed.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 09:08 AM

That is disgusting.

Why didn't PBS edit that out?

Well, maybe knowledge of it is a better thing so that it never happens again.

I read a book called When Elephants Weep which was very good.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
That is disgusting.

Well, maybe knowledge of it is a better thing so that it never happens again.
You cannot deny things like this ever happened. The fact that we are offended by it today is a good sign we are improving.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 12:52 PM

Wrong on both accounts:

-s*
Why didn't Edison test his theory on the trainers as they were sleeping?
( Last edited by RonnieoftheRose; Apr 5, 2005 at 02:23 PM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 01:21 PM

However, if DC had become standard as Edison wanted, then maybe we wouldn't have to have so many devices with these huge DC adapters that cover both the outlet you're plugging them into and all the adjacent ones...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

sideus
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 01:38 PM

The ASPCA thought the electrocution was humane.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 01:53 PM

It is very sad when an electrocution occurs to any animal. We have had two dogs electrocuted accidentally by live wires near a man hole cover. One died.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 02:28 PM

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 02:30 PM

I mean, that's not something I really think children should watch, you know?

We have PBS on here where we live starting at 6 AM and there are frequently wildlife and animal shows on. I don't think a kid watching an elephant being electrocuted while eating corn flakes is a good thing.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Apr 5, 2005, 02:41 PM

Why does all that smoke come out of his feet? In the Star Wars universe smoke comes out of the spine.

brapper
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 02:45 PM

I won't lie, I'm pretty upset about that movie.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 5, 2005, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
However, if DC had become standard as Edison wanted, then maybe we wouldn't have to have so many devices with these huge DC adapters that cover both the outlet you're plugging them into and all the adjacent ones...
I've been hit with DC and with AC enough times to know that I don't want to be hit by DC ever again. AC tingles... DC HURTS. For a long time.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 04:22 PM

I mean, that's not something I really think children should watch, you know?

We have PBS on here where we live starting at 6 AM and there are frequently wildlife and animal shows on. I don't think a kid watching an elephant being electrocuted while eating corn flakes is a good thing.
I think you missed the point. Unless the local program director is psychotic, I really doubt they'll air stock footage from the turn of the century that includes an elephant falling over in a cloud of smoke.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
The entire worldwide power grid is based completely on Tesla's technology. The generator was HIS design.

If DC had become standard, we'd all have to live within about a mile of a power plant to have electricity.

And I'm sure some evil human would have come up with a design equally retarded to those horrible wall-warts.

-s*

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 06:12 PM

I wouldn't have done that. I would have considered lobotomy of its brain instead. An elephant alive is worth more then when it is dead.

http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/lobotomy.html
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Number Two
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2005, 06:13 PM

An "elephant being electrocuted while eating corn flakes"???? er...

Oh wait. I see now..
( Last edited by Number Two; Apr 5, 2005 at 06:20 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 5, 2005, 06:19 PM

The entire worldwide power grid is based completely on Tesla's technology. The generator was HIS design.

If DC had become standard, we'd all have to live within about a mile of a power plant to have electricity.

And I'm sure some evil human would have come up with a design equally retarded to those horrible wall-warts.

-s*
There are problems with DC that AC overcomes, primarily the fact that with DC you experience significant loss through copper distribution lines because of resistence. With AC, you can run the power through a transformer to raise the voltage and lower the current, minimizing the resistive loss. At the customer end, you run it through another transformer to lower the voltage and raise the resulting current capability. Those barrel things on power poles are transformers, and the big green boxes in your neighbor's yards contain transformers, too.

With AC you distribute power and then customize the voltage to the consumer's needs-in the U.S. and Canada that's about 110-120VAC at 60Hz, with residential service usually providing about 100Amperes. You simply CANNOT do that with DC.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 06:57 PM

Extraordinary what human beings can do out of curiosity...

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by SimpleLife:
Extraordinary what human beings can do out of curiosity...
Now there's a loaded comment.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
Try giving it a twysting motion.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 07:19 PM

whaddaya mean?

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by SimpleLife:
whaddaya mean?
From that, either a) most will overlook it or b) it'll a lot of bad posts.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 07:29 PM

From that, either a) most will overlook it or b) it'll a lot of bad posts.
Are you making a request from me to make a stronger statement?

OK.

Human curiosity is quite something. Children, at the earliest years, will grab anything and inadvertantly destroy whatever they touch. Of course, then, they do not understand. But they do acquire knowledge.

Adults do something similar, but until they can really get a grasp of something, they need experience, and the best experience comes from first-hand situations. Later on, they can share these experiences, either verbally, litterally or with our modern technologies, through video recording.

And curiosity wins all the time.

We could all have imagined what an elephant being electrocuted looks like, but never pefectly, and so, most of us will need that first hand experience, or whatever that is close to it.

So we all looked, or almost. How different are we from the people who did electrocuted that elephant? I guess we are only a few steps away...
( Last edited by SimpleLife; Apr 5, 2005 at 07:39 PM. )

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2005, 02:59 PM

Years and years ago when I was a teenager, I came home from school to unfortunately come across cruelty being subjected to a pig, on PBS no less. Some @ssholes were holding down this poor animal while another fnckhead was using a torch to burn the pig alive. They literally pulled this thick crust off it's side and I recall them pouring some viscous black liquid in the poor animal's mouth as it suffered. I really doubt the pig had any pain-killing administered in that liquid. Sick, sick bastards. May they suffer in hell for all eternity.

Forum Links
Forum Rules