Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro with Logic-live performance

MacBook Pro with Logic-live performance
chimpochimp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 01:46 PM

Any one have any experience with recording/ Logic?

I messed around a bit with Logic 7 on my friend's G5. I want to get a powerbook pro (the more expensive 2.33 one).

Had some questions the mac store wasn't able to answer. Mostly I'm intrigued about using a laptop live. Would like to run guitar/keyboards through the channels w/ FX for live play back (essentially using the laptop instead of guitar pedals). I just want to know if this is a bad idea/if there would be any memory/hard drive suggestions. I want it for home recording/music notation too, but if it would do the live stuff also, that would be awesome.

bloodline
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 06:07 PM

I use a single 2.33Ghz C2D Macbook Pro for live sequencing, Soft synths and effects, with Logic Pro 7.2. It's a very reliable and stable platform for the stage. My audio interface is a firewire Edirol FA-101 which is bus powered and had 10 inputs and 10 outputs with very low latency, which meets my needs. I use an Evolution MK461 USB MIDI keyboard (nice and cheap with loads of knobs and sliders) + A Roland SH-201 for some USB MIDI, but mostly synth work.

I am just migrating my live sets to Ableton Live 6.0.3, as I think this software might aford me more felxability on stage, and may allow video sync. I'll be testing Ableton Live for stage work in April. In the studio I will be sticking with my MBP and Logic 7.2 :-)
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

chimpochimp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 06:45 PM

So have you tried it with any non-midi instruments (like a guitar) and any of the bigger fx (like the sound sculpter)?

Also-I'm not really experienced with this-Does it matter on the interface if you have a 400 or 800 firewire port? Cuz I can get a more powerful iMac for cheaper, but it doesn't have an 800 firewire and i was wondering if that would be a problem in the future.

How do you deal with the laptop to amp setup? does that just run back out of the interface to the house sound sytem? (man, i'm all n00b)

So...
guitar to interface
interface to laptop
laptop to ?
? to house sound

Forum Links
Forum Rules