Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Twitter questions

Twitter questions
macfantn
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2009, 07:41 PM

If I am following someone on twitter but they aren't following me can they read my tweets?
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 07:50 PM

Nope.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 7, 2009, 08:16 PM

yes, if your profile is public. but then again, so can anyone else.
if it's private, it's still private until you approve them.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2009, 08:53 PM

Of course, as of right now, you can read anyones twitter account if you do this:
Code:
http://twitter.com/statuses/friends/[USERNAME].xml
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2009, 11:37 PM

While they can technically read your tweets, they are unlikely to as they won't show up in their stream unless they follow you.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2009, 12:40 AM

If you protect your tweets, they can't see them, even with a direct URL.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 8, 2009, 02:30 AM

Regardless, if they're not following him they're not gonna be seeing anything in their stream. If this person he's following has hundreds of followers or more, they're not likely to be viewing his page unless he @s them.
ice

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2009, 03:28 PM

Does it make sense to seriously question the value of Twitter when you account for the fact that the standard web client does no push updating? Manual reloads for live content seem quite primitive to me at this point, when instead they should do push along with an idle check like Slashdot's live index does.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2009, 03:37 PM

My guess is this is a problem of capacity.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2009, 03:44 PM

Yeah, I read that they used to do auto reloading but disabled it. But one would think that with idle checks a proper push system would reduce the load from people continually reloading the page.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2009, 08:28 PM

The problems is indeed one of capacity. Facebook used to have a Live Stream feature way back, but it became too costly to maintain. Even now their new semi-livestream only shows how many updates you have.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2009, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
Of course, as of right now, you can read anyones twitter account if you do this:
Code:
http://twitter.com/statuses/friends/[USERNAME].xml
Looks like that shows you that user's twitter stream, but not their tweets specifically. Meaning, you can read the tweets of people they follow.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2009, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Looks like that shows you that user's twitter stream, but not their tweets specifically. Meaning, you can read the tweets of people they follow.
Ah, gotcha. I remember reading that back in November 2008 about that and tried it yesterday. Didn't really ready much of it but it seemed to show data initially.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2009, 04:42 AM

I have another Twitter question: Have Twitter and other social networking sites replaced RSS aggregators for the small portion of the web community that used aggregator clients? I'm finally getting serious about RSS aggregation and I'm using it on one of my sites in way that I'm very pleased with, but I feel like I've gotten to the party way too late.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2009, 04:49 AM

I have another question: Is there any way I can induce ADHD in myself so as to be able to enjoy Twitter?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2009, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I have another Twitter question: Have Twitter and other social networking sites replaced RSS aggregators for the small portion of the web community that used aggregator clients? I'm finally getting serious about RSS aggregation and I'm using it on one of my sites in way that I'm very pleased with, but I feel like I've gotten to the party way too late.
For now, quite a few have - yes. In fact, most of the latest news that I get to my twitter stream is up before it's on a feed or standard webpage - eg. USForces Afghanistan.

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I have another question: Is there any way I can induce ADHD in myself so as to be able to enjoy Twitter?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2009, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Not for me it hasn't. If I had every RSS feed I subscribe to in my twitter stream I'd never see anything else.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules