Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tribute to the Phillips CD-i games

Tribute to the Phillips CD-i games
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2012, 05:21 PM

The Phillips CD-i was a complete flop of a gaming device. You don't have to be a gamer to appreciate the poor Troll 2 calibre trainwreck gameplay in these games though. The dialog in these games is so bad it is funny, sort of how movies like Troll 2 are so bad they are good.

Witness:

ALL Wand of Gamelon Cutscenes in HIGH QUALITY!!! - YouTube

This should really be an internet meme if not so already. From what I understand Wand of Gamelon was one of the best games for this device too.

I wonder why Nintendo decided to license out their Zelda franchise... What were they thinking?

Putting this in the regular lounge because the appeal of these cutscenes should reach beyond gamers!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I wonder why Nintendo decided to license out their Zelda franchise... What were they thinking?
Rupees.

Thorzdad
Jun 13, 2012, 07:44 AM

Ah, CD-i. Way back in the day, my company sent me and our CTO to a CD-i conference in LA. I was supposed to soak it all in and evaluate the technology for possible use with our licensed property. I came away thinking "This thing will go nowhere fast."

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 07:16 PM

The whole computing industry seemed overly infatuated with the CD-ROM in general.

Thorzdad
Jun 13, 2012, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
The whole computing industry seemed overly infatuated with the CD-ROM in general.
Oh, man. If you had in any way equated CD-i with CD-ROM, those Phillips reps would have had your head on a pike. Fact is, one could have been excused if you had assumed the theme of the conference was "It's not a CD-ROM goddammit!!!" Those Phillips people were serious about it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules