Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Wallpaper and docked items disappear after a shutdown.

Wallpaper and docked items disappear after a shutdown.
urban
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2005, 05:47 PM

Hello, my friend just bought an iBook G4 and her ibook is behaving improperly. After she shuts down her computer and turns it on again, her wallpaper and docked items disappear. What's there to do to diagnose the problem?
btw, if it matters, she bought it open-boxed.
Thank you very much.
Powerbook 12" 1GHZ, 1.25GB of RAM
My blog

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 09:23 PM

Sounds like her ~/Library/Preferences folder does not "belong" to her. Have her go to her Preferences folder and Get Info (⌘-I) then note what it says for Owner under the Ownership and Permissions section. It's entirely possible her entire home folder might not belong to her. If she has admin privileges she should be able to change the permissions and make herself the owner. Might be quicker to have her try in Terminal (we'll call her Sue in this example):
Code:
chown -R sue /Users/sue
This will make Sue the owner of every file and/or folder in her home folder. Then have her log out then log back in. Change the Desktop Background and/or some Dock items then log out and back in again. The changes should stick now.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2005, 12:28 AM

Since it is still new I would suggest she reinstalls the operating system with reformating the whole drive. That will make sure the system is in proper condition. (Don't forget to then also install the bundled software from the system restore CD.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules