Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Does Apple TV work with Drive Connected to Airport Base Station?

Does Apple TV work with Drive Connected to Airport Base Station?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2007, 05:20 AM

I have a Apple TV on order and the 40 gig HD isn't enough for my iTunes collection but as well I have a Airport Base Station coming. I plan to put at least a 250 gig hard drive on that. My questions:

1. I know how you can copy files to the Apple TV's hard drive and as well connect with up to 5 PC's. Will it connect to a hard drive connected to the Airport Base Station though?

2. I plan to use this hard drive on the base station as a 'server drive'. Is there any way I can get podcasts to automatically go on this server drive as well as other media files such as my videos and music from itunes and photos from iphoto? What I mean is basically have these items from my laptop sync to the appropriate directories on this server drive.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2007, 03:07 PM

I think the simple answer is yes, Apple TV will be able to read from the shared drive IF the computer that is attached to the network and ON.

If I get it right, the Aiport Base Station share drive shows up like a normal drive on your Mac, so in order for Apple TV to see the content on that share, the computer must be on.

Of course, this is all just thought since neither product has shipped.

BZ

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 03:35 PM

I think the answer is both "no" and "yes."

No--the AppleTV cannot use the hard drive attached to the base station. That's because the AppleTV works seamlessly with iTunes, which won't be running on the base station.

Yes--because you can set up iTunes on your computer to keep it's library on the shared drive. Then you can stream and sync from the computer to the AppleTV.

Chris

BFerrentino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 06:14 PM

That's how it was explained to me at MacWorld exactly

Forum Links
Forum Rules